Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Understanding exit code status Post 302931250 by rbatte1 on Monday 12th of January 2015 06:59:38 AM
Old 01-12-2015
The status messages returned during an ftp session (sometimes requires the -v flag) do not affect the final return code of the ftp client command. They are useful to check for things such as failure to change remote directory, permissions to write a file denied etc.

Unless ftp fails to connect to the host at all (before a login attempt even) you will always get a zero return code to the ftp command.

The messages you are seeing are status messages. Those from 000 to 399 are considered as normal good responses and those of 400-999 are failures, although not all the possible messages have been used. If you capture the standard output (that would normally come to the screen) in a log file, then you can scan it for these messages. I have two files that I use for this. One looking for records the start with three digits over 400, and another to exclude text such as 512 bytes sent successfully and I do all my error checking in the shell script that calls the ftp.

I hope that this clarifies things a bit.

Robin
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit status

i downloaded a text file from metalab.unc.edu called sh.txt and in this reference manual it refers to shell scripting exit status .. at the end of one of the examples that author gave an exit status of 127.. to what does a 127 exit status refer too and what is its purpose in the code. moxxx68 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit status for isql

I'm trying to write a script that will update a table in sysbase. If it's failed then I want to rerun it one more time before exiting the script (fail due to bad value such as trying to put a string into datetime field or bad connection to the database) Well my code below will always return... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirrtuan
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

Return of EXIT status ( $? )

I have the question: How return the exit code from then assign : VAR=$(command ) for ex. VAR=$(ls ....) VAREXIT=$? echo $VAREXIT VAREXIT is equal to 0 if the directory exist or not exist. WHI?? if i execute the command direct from line-command , the value of $? is different if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ZINGARO
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the exit status

Hi all, I'm running a program which return 1 upon success. But when encounters problem shell return 's '1' . How to differentiate between them the shell return value and script return value. Ex. function fn return '1' if executed successfully and '0' if failed. But when if shell encounters... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yhacks
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit status

I'm preparing for exam and one of exams is to write own test command... I wonder if in unix is a command which just returns exit code you specify.. I know I can easily write a function like this: exStatus() { return $1 } -> my question is rather theoretical thank you! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: MartyIX
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

$? = Exit status variable

hi, exit status variable $?, returns some digits. 0 ---> succes. 1..126 Failure (the program itself will decide what the numbers mean) 127 Command not found 128..254 The program did not exit normally. (E.g., it crashed, or received a signal) 255 Invalid exit code well, if $?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dummydba
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit Status

I have a shell script (#!/bin/sh) that interacts with Appworx and Banner Admin. In my script I want to check the exit status of awrun before continuing. awrun can run for 10 seconds or it can run for over a minute. So my question is, will it go through my if statement before awrun may even be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smkremer
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit status from the script is always 0

Hi , I have a bash script , which does the network configuration. Messages from this script are dumped on console as well as stored in a log file . This script is invoked from a C code using system call . The script returns different exit code , to indicate different error cases. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhirai
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to get the exit status

Hi All, I am trying to create a zip file with all the txt files(these are in large number) in the current directory. I am able to do this operation sucessfully. After this i want to get the status of the tar command executed and do accordingly. When i am trying with the below code, the status... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paddu
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit Status of Command

Hi All, I am doing an export and import (datapump) of 4 schema. I know we can do an export of 4 schema in one command. But just want to know how to check the exit status if i do the export/import of 4 schema in different commands in background. Please suggest. Thanks, Mani (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pvmanikandan
1 Replies
NETRC(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							  NETRC(5)

NAME
netrc, .netrc -- user configuration for ftp DESCRIPTION
This file contains configuration and autologin information for the File Transfer Protocol client ftp(1). The .netrc file contains login and initialization information used by the auto-login process. It resides in the user's home directory. The following tokens are recognized; they may be separated by spaces, tabs, or new-lines: machine name Identify a remote machine name. The auto-login process searches the .netrc file for a machine token that matches the remote machine specified on the ftp command line or as an open command argument. Once a match is made, the subsequent .netrc tokens are processed, stopping when the end of file is reached or another machine or a default token is encountered. default This is the same as machine name except that default matches any name. There can be only one default token, and it must be after all machine tokens. This is normally used as: default login anonymous password user@site thereby giving the user automatic anonymous ftp login to machines not specified in .netrc. This can be overridden by using the -n flag to disable auto-login. login name Identify a user on the remote machine. If this token is present, the auto-login process will initiate a login using the specified name. password string Supply a password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires a password as part of the login process. Note that if this token is present in the .netrc file for any user other than anonymous, ftp will abort the auto-login process if the .netrc is readable by anyone besides the user. account string Supply an additional account password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires an additional account password, or the auto-login process will initiate an ACCT command if it does not. macdef name Define a macro. This token functions like the ftp macdef command functions. A macro is defined with the specified name; its con- tents begin with the next .netrc line and continue until a null line (consecutive new-line characters) is encountered. If a macro named init is defined, it is automatically executed as the last step in the auto-login process. SEE ALSO
ftp(1), ftpd(8) Linux NetKit (0.17) September 23, 1997 Linux NetKit (0.17)