Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Extracting floats from a string in Python Post 302931190 by faizlo on Sunday 11th of January 2015 02:44:23 PM
Old 01-11-2015
Extracting floats from a string in Python

I have this script which can calculate the total of numbers given in a string

Code:
total = 0 
for c in '0123456789': 
   total += int(c) 
print total

How should I modify this script to find the total of if the numbers given in the string form have decimal places? That is, how do I need to modify this line:

Code:
for c in '1.32, 5.32, 4.4, 3.78':

to find the total of these given numbers.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting from a string

How do I extract 5th to 10th characters of string as given below stored in a shell variable. "ab cd ef gh ij kl" How is cut to be used on this? Thanks for any help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: preetikate
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiplying Floats/Decimals

Is there a way that i can get something like this to work: Number=`expr 80 \* 10.69` i.e. To multiply an integer by a decimal or a decimal by a decimal etc...? thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rleebife
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a string from one file and searching the same string in other files

Hi, Need to extract a string from one file and search the same in other files. Ex: I have file1 of hundred lines with no delimiters not even space. I have 3 more files. I should get 1 to 10 characters say substring from each line of file1 and search that string in rest of the files and get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohancrr
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with AWK and floats below 0

Hello. I have a problem with AWK and floats below 0 in a script. It may be simplified to this line (please, take into account that my "locale" is Spanish, so the system will read "," as decimal separator): echo -1,25 2,55745 0,33 ,278 | awk '{print $1+1, $2+1, $3+1, $4+1}'... getting: -0,25... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JCastro
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting String

I am trying to extract a hyperlink from a html document using awk. I have managed to output in the format... href="index.html"> where i would like it just to output index.html. Any ideas on how i would do this? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adpe
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

integers, floats and text

I am using gawk in a dos shell in windows xp and want to read a datafile and reformat it. The datafile consists of columns of integers, floating point numbers and text strings. Each column is a fixed width and each column contains the same data type, eg all integers, all text. I am looking for a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lookingfor help
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculation with floats

I want to make computations using floats. This cannot be done with csh. ksh seem to have a problem as well. What is good shell for computations without having to resort to bc or awk? How about python? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines between the start string and end string including start and end string Python

Hi, I am trying to remove lines once a string is found till another string is found including the start string and end string. I want to basically grab all the lines starting with color (closing bracket). PS: The line after the closing bracket for color could be anything (currently 'more').... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dabheeruz
1 Replies

9. Programming

Python script for extracting data using two files

Hello, I have two files. File 1 is a list of interested IDs Ex1 Ex2 Ex3File 2 is the original file with over 8000 columns and 20 millions rows and is a compressed file .gz Ex1 xx xx xx xx .... Ex2 xx xx xx xx .... Ex2 xx xx xx xx ....Now I need to extract the information for all the IDs of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nans
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring within string between 2 token within the string

Hello. First best wishes for everybody. here is the input file ("$INPUT1") contents : BASH_FUNC_message_begin_script%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_debug%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_end_script%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_error%%=() { local... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
TOTAL(1)						      General Commands Manual							  TOTAL(1)

NAME
total - sum up columns SYNOPSIS
total [ -m ][ -sE | -p | -u | -l ][ -i{f|d}[N] ][ -o{f|d} ][ -tC ][ -N [ -r ]] [ file .. ] DESCRIPTION
Total sums up columns of real numbers from one or more files and prints out the result on its standard output. By default, total computes the straigt sum of each input column, but multiplication can be specified instead with the -p option. Likewise, the -u option means find the upper limit (maximum), and -l means find the lower limit (minimum). Sums of powers can be computed by giving an exponent with the -s option. (Note that there is no space between the -s and the exponent.) This exponent can be any real number, positive or negative. The absolute value of the input is always taken before the power is computed in order to avoid complex results. Thus, -s1 will produce a sum of absolute values. The default power (zero) is interpreted as a straight sum without taking absolute values. The -m option can be used to compute the mean rather than the total. For sums, the arithmetic mean is computed. For products, the geomet- ric mean is computed. (A logarithmic sum of absolute values is used to avoid overflow, and zero values are silently ignored.) If the input data is binary, the -id or -if option may be given for 64-bit double or 32-bit float values, respectively. Either option may be followed immediately by an optional count, which defaults to 1, indicating the number of double or float binary values to read per record on the input file. (There can be no space between the option and this count.) Similarly, the -od and -of options specify binary double or float output, respectively. These options do not need a count, as this will be determined by the number of input channels. A count can be given as the number of lines to read before computing a result. Normally, total reads each file to its end before producing its result, but this behavior may be overridden by inserting blank lines in the input. For each blank input line, total produces a result as if the end-of-file had been reached. If two blank lines immediately follow each other, total closes the file and proceeds to the next one (after reporting the result). The -N option (where N is a decimal integer) tells total to produce a result and reset the calculation after every N input lines. In addition, the -r option can be specified to override reinitialization and thus give a running total every N lines (or every blank line). If the end of file is reached, the current total is printed and the calculation is reset before the next file (with or without the -r option). The -tC option can be used to specify the input and output tab character. The default tab character is TAB. If no files are given, the standard input is read. EXAMPLE
To compute the RMS value of colon-separated columns in a file: total -t: -m -s2 input To produce a running product of values from a file: total -p -1 -r input BUGS
If the input files have varying numbers of columns, mean values will certainly be off. Total will ignore missing column entries if the tab separator is a non-white character, but cannot tell where a missing column should have been if the tab character is white. AUTHOR
Greg Ward SEE ALSO
cnt(1), neaten(1), rcalc(1), rlam(1), tabfunc(1) RADIANCE
2/3/95 TOTAL(1)