Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using the set command to redefine shell variables Post 302931089 by SkySmart on Saturday 10th of January 2015 09:42:56 AM
Old 01-10-2015
Using the set command to redefine shell variables

so i'm havin a bit of a issue getting set to recognize a value with spaces as a variable.

this is what i'm doing:

Code:
VAR="1 2 4 11 'dogs mouse cars' 50 19 'noise toys' "

set -- ${VAR}

When i issue a command such as the one below:
Code:
echo $5  or  echo "${5}"

i get

Code:
dog

when i should really be getting:

Code:
'dogs mouse cars'

or if i issue

Code:
echo $8 or echo "${8}"

i should get:

Code:
'noise toys'

but instead, i get:

Code:
noise

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with set command in korn shell

I have to copy an array to a temp variable and back after doing some functions. I am trying to see if it is possible to do without while loops.My closest try was set -A temp ${THE_ARRAY} # restore array after some actions set -A THE_ARRAY ${temp} The problem with above is that, the new... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijay1985
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Set shell variables from SQLPLUS query results

Hi All, I needed to get the result of two sqlplus queris into shell variables. After days of looking for the ultimate solution to this problem.. i found this... sqlplus -s USER/PASS@DB <<EOF | awk '{if(NR==1) printf("%s ", $1); if(NR==2) printf("%s ", $1);}' | read VAR1 VAR2 set head off... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pranavagarwal
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SET Command removed the variables

Hi, Im using csh and sometimes bash. I accidentally typed SET and looks like it has resetted some enviroment variables as im not able to run autosys jobs etc .. So i wanted to know how i can put it back to normal by replacing any profile files from another user or by editing the file which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spectator
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to export ENV variables, which remains set for all the shell

Hi ! How to export ENV variables, which remains set for all the shell Example :- Login :myID Pwd : **** -> Here my ID .profile is executed. Let say I set MYENV variable Kisses% rlogin ABC -l XXXGroupID -> I login into a remote Solaris Server ABC password : **** -> "XXXGroupID's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dashok.83
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing shell variables to a rsh command

I noticed my script is not passing the value of variable alert to the rsh command. I need some assistance, please. This is a solaris environement. Thanks! :confused: #!/bin/sh echo -n "Alert number:" read alert rsh rhost_name 'egrep $alert /opt/var/log/*.logs' (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lopus
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to create variables in loop and assign filename after set command?

Hi, does anybody knows how to manage, that the filenames are assigned to a variable in a loop afer getting them with set command in a ksh, like: set B*.txt i=1 c=$# x=$((c+1)) echo "$x" while ] ; do _ftpfile$i="$"$i echo "$_ftpfile$i" i=$((i+1)) done The first echo returns,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spidermike
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command using variables in shell script

hi guys, The following command doesn't seem to work in my shell script: tag=$(sed -n '/${line}/ s/.*\.*/\1/p' myfile.txt) When i replace the ${line} with an actual value, it works fine. So, how do i use the ${line} in this sed command? Thanks in advance, Zaff (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaff
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting Variables WITHIN For Loop in DOS Command Shell

I'm wondering if any of you could lend an assist with a small problem. First, I'm under the impression I need to use Delayed Environment Variable Expansion (DEVE), based on other things I've read across the web. Summary: trying to use command shell (cmd.exe) in XP sp3 (if that's relevant) to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ProGrammar
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing Shell Variables to an awk command

Hello, I have two files File1 & File2. File1 76 135 136 200 250 345 .... File2 1 24 1 35 1 36 1 72 .... I want to get all the values form File2 corresponding to the range in File 1 and feed it to a program. Is the code below right? Can I pass shell variables to awk in this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set shell variable from command

shell script has a command inside back quotes in method update_TABLE I need to store the count of number of Rows updated and store it in shell script variable "num" num = 0; Update_TABLE Update_TABLE() { `echo " set verify off feedback off echo off pagesize 0 head off... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: finder255
4 Replies
IRSEND(1)							   User Commands							 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.9.0-pre1 October 2010 IRSEND(1)