Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ASCII comma-delimited
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions ASCII comma-delimited Post 302930957 by mahiwaga on Thursday 8th of January 2015 08:47:38 PM
Old 01-08-2015
ASCII comma-delimited

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:
Hi Guys,

I am new on the scripting world and would like ask for help if you can.

Here are my questions below.

1) What Unix commmand(s) would you put in a shell script to read an ASCII comma-delimited input file and validate that field 5 only contains numeric characters?

2) What Unix command(s) would you use from the command line to find all files underneath a given path that have duplicate lines of data?

2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms:

Perl, awk, cut, uniq

3. The attempts at a solution (include all code and scripts):

Tried this command to tell you honestly I am not sure if this is the right command.

1. sed -e 's/^/| /' -e 's/,/,| /g' -e 's/$/,|/' inputfile | column -t -s,

2 . find . -type f -name '*f*' | sed -r 's|/[^/]+$||' |sort |uniq

4. Complete Name of School (University), City (State), Country, Name of Professor, and Course Number (Link to Course):

This is a work related question some how like a personal research. I was inform by Don Cragun to go here Smilie

Note: Without school/professor/course information, you will be banned if you post here! You must complete the entire template (not just parts of it).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comma Delimited file

I have a comma delimited file that sometimes has addresses details in. The problem is that the address detail can be seen as: "Sample House, Sample Road". When I run a script specifying the file is comma delimited I would like it to ignore comma's that are in between speech marks. Is this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbrundrett
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comma Delimited Output w/ egrep

Hi all, I have an input file that I am pulling out certain phases using the following commands: cat /nodes.txt | egrep -e 'OSVersion|PrimaryNodeName' Currently the output looks like this: OSVersion - 5.0 PrimaryNodeName - serverA OSVersion - 5.0 PrimaryNodeName - serverB OSVersion... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indianadoug
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Tab delimited file to Comma delimited file in Unix

Hi, Can anyone let me know on how to convert a Tab delimited file to Comma delimited file in Unix Thanks!! (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: charan81
22 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comma delimited file

Hi All, I have output of sql saved in comma separated file. Now i need to read line by line this file and assign word to a unix variable for further processing Eg: Test file world, 1, 3, 4 earth,2,3,4,5 moon,1,2,3,4 Output should be word1= world word2=1 echo " first word... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwrm
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Flat File - Comma Delimited

I have a flat file whose contents are comma delimited and there are 84 columns in total, so everytime I try to view the contents, things get over lapped it becomes diffcult to read through the result set. Is there a command / what would be the best way...if I want to view the results alligned... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: priya33184
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comma delimited file manipulation

Question about how to change the first & last name in column one & two so that the names have a capital letter for just the first letter. Example: asdf@asdf.com,asdf,asdfasdf,176.23.22.345,4/12/2012 changed to: asdf@asdf.com,Asdf,Asdfasdf,176.23.22.345,4/12/2012 Thank you kindly, Nick (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickytcom
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to convert comma delimited files to semi colon delimited

Hi All, I need a unix script to convert .csv files to .skv files (changing a comma delimited file to a semi colon delimited file). I am a unix newbie and so don't know where to start. The script will be scheduled using cron and needs to convert each .csv file in a particular folder to a .skv... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CarpKing
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Import ASCII 28 delimited text file

I have an ASCII 28 delimited text file(non-printable delimiter) with 4 columns along with the header.I need to open this text file in Excel or any other tool to view each column content. Please help.. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneeta13
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help/Advise please for converting space delimited string variable to comma delimited with quote

Hi, I am wanting to create a script that will construct a SQL statement based on a a space delimited string that it read from a config file. Example of the SQL will be For example, it will read a string like "AAA BBB CCC" and assign to a variable named IN_STRING. I then concatenate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Creating data delimited by ASCII code 1

<Any suggestion how to create a file where the values are separated by ASCII code 1,with data extracted from a table using shell script The format is :/> <columnname1(binary1)columnvalue(binary1)columnname2(binary1)columnvalue(binary1)columnname3(binary1)columnvalue... 1st row/>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dasun
6 Replies
regex(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [-v "string"] [pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2 Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3 Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4 Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)