Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Specifying patterns to egrep or awk Post 302930946 by SkySmart on Thursday 8th of January 2015 06:27:22 PM
Old 01-08-2015
Specifying patterns to egrep or awk

given this information:

Code:
^\w{3} [ :0-9]{11} [._[:alnum:]-]+ kernel:( \[[[:digit:]]+\.[[:digit:]]+\])? [[:alnum:]]+: media error \(bad sector\): status=0x[[:xdigit:]]+ { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }$
^\w{3} [ :0-9]{11} [._[:alnum:]-]+ kernel:( \[[[:digit:]]+\.[[:digit:]]+\])? end_request: I/O error, dev [[:alnum:]]+, sector [[:digit:]]+

i need to set up monitoring for these strings. but as you can see, they contain characters that some applications (i.e. Nagios ) will have issues processing as it considers them potentially risky.

so, will the following changes suffice?

Code:
kernel:.*media error.*bad sector.*status=0x.*DriveReady.*SeekComplete.*Error 
kernel:.*end_request: I/O error, dev.*sector

i basically just got rid of any character i think Nagios may complain about. and i replaced it with ".*". note, each of these strings will be passed to either egrep or awk to scan a log.

can any one of you experts please help point out what may be wrong with what i just did?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep/awk/egrep?

Hi, The input file "notifications" contains the following string. FRTP has 149 missing batches I want to search for : FRTP has missing batches As the number 149 is not important and will change. The commands I have tried. grep "FRTP has.*missing batches" notifications.txt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: whugo
3 Replies

2. AIX

Trouble formatting egrep command with AWK

Hi, I'm new to scripting and AIX. I'm running the following: lspv | awk '{ print "lspv",$1" | egrep 'PP\|PHYSICAL'; lspv -l",$1 }' Which creates this command: lspv hdisk0 | egrep PP|PHYSICAL; lspv -l hdisk0 lspv hdisk1 | egrep PP|PHYSICAL; lspv -l hdisk1 Troube is, I need the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cruiser
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Egrep cheat sheet anywhere? Looking for meaning of egrep -c

Hi I've been searching google and have not found what egrep -c means. Does anyone know where I can get a cheat sheet or what that -c means? thanks, Linda (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: leelm
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick egrep / awk help, Please

Ok, this may be very simple but I can't find a solution. I have a list of numbered values which I have grepped from a larger life. ex/ 1:7.54 2:4.52 3:3.22 4:2.11 5:3.59 6:4.36 7:6.88 8:12.28 9:13.37 10:15.6 11:17.66 12:14.25 I need a quick way to organize them (using awk?)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdolny
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl or awk/egrep from big files??

Hi experts. In one thread i have asked you how to grep the string from the below sample file- Unfortunately the script did not gave proper output (it missed many strings). It happened may be i did gave you the proper contents of the file That was the script- "$ perl -00nle'print join... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep/awk/egrep two values for given output?

Dear Friends, I have a command which can result following output. Packet is: /var/adm/yyyy/pkt6043 Intended for network : /vob/repo I would like to retrive pkt6043 and /vob/repo using single command. Blue color test will be always contstant and red color text will be dynamic ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baluchen
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

range patterns in awk

Hi All, I am new to awk command and I had a question in using it. I want to filter a code file and print specific functions (that contain menu word in the function name). for example, if the file has: function menu1() { } function f2() { } function menu3() { }so I want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghoda2_10
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Patterns with egrep/sed/awk?

I have an array with characters, what I want is if there are other characters in the array which I am looking for than take action that is print BAD ARRAY. So far my code just finds characters but instead I want that it should look for other characters. echo "A B C D F" | egrep -o "D | F" O/P... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dixits
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Egrep or awk for removing values within CSV file?

Hello, I have a large CSV file that contains values all on the same column, and in one very long row (e.g. no line breaks till end, with all data values separated by a comma). The file has two types of data for the values. One begins with the letters rs and some numbers. The other begins... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: macurdy
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Egrep patterns in a file and limit number of matches to print for each pattern match

Hi I need to egrep patterns in a file and limit number of matches to print for each matched pattern. -m10 option is not working out in my sun solaris 5.10 Please guide me the options to achieve. if i do head -10 , i wont be getting all pattern match results as output since for a... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananan
10 Replies