Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How can I write variables to same line of a file? Post 302930780 by snr_silencer on Wednesday 7th of January 2015 10:12:18 AM
Old 01-07-2015
How can I write variables to same line of a file?

I am trying to keep variables in a file.

if I have all variables at the same time, I can write them all like below.
Code:
echo $var1","$var2","$var3

But, these variables are being calculated at different times then they are lost
so I want to keep them in a file seperated by "," .
Code:
echo $var1 >> log_file
echo ","$var2 >> log_file

is there an option of echo in order to write the variables without creating a new line in the log file.

thanks in advance

Last edited by radoulov; 01-07-2015 at 12:24 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write system variables into file

Hi everyone, I was told, i my job, to do a script that creates the backup of all the files that are important to us. So i created the script, put it in the crontab and it works great. Now what i want is to write to a file what directories have being copied with date and time. How can i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jorge.ferreira
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Re-write first line of a file before printing

Morning All, Quite a simple one this, I hope. What I want to do is to re-write the first line of a file before it's sent to print. The line will be blank initially, and I want to insert some text. The operation can either be done on the file itself (modifying the file on disk), OR in a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexop
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

write new line at the beginning of an existing file

I was trying to find out the easiest way to write new line to the beginning of an exisiting file. I am using KSH. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sailussr
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write in a file with pipe also in same line

hi, i want to write in a file the output of one command and pile also the same output like ls -lrt > some_file | wc -l (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: narang.mohit
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lookup two values per line (from a second file) and write the smaller value to another file

Hello Unix Gurus, Please let me know if this is hard to understand and I apologize for my inability to explain better. I have a file "Foo" with the following structure CHR_A BP_A SNP_A CHR_B BP_B SNP_B R2 1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
3 Replies

6. Programming

How to write a new line to the end of the file in Perl?

i am very new to Perl. i am using Ubuntu. i have a string call $string that contains following words "new line". i also have a data file as follows. djfibjbet etitrbjijbtr rrge rgjierjegjeri jerijg kijij jijij i want to write my new line to my data file as follows. djfibjbet... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write string variables to file

I have the following: #! /bin/bash foo="bar" this="that" vars="foovar=$foo\n\ thisvar=$this\n" I want to write the following to a file: foovar="bar" thisvar="that" Then in another script, I pull this file, and loop through it: while read line; do eval $line done <... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Validatorian
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how read specific line in a file and write it in a new text file?

I have list of files in a directory 'dir'. Each file is of type HTML. I need to read each file and get the string which starts with 'http' and write them in a new text file. How can i do this shell scripting? file1.html <head> <url>http://www.google.com</url> </head> file2.html <head>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

write specific line number in file

dear all, i need your advice i have sample script like this: testing.sh for i in {1..10} do echo testing $i done but i forgot create "#!/bin/bash" in above "for" so i want output will like this testing.sh #!/bin/bash for i in {1..10} do echo testing $i done (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zvtral
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search pattern and write line into another file

Hi, I have a file which contains the below details.. My requirement is to fetch all the lines which are starting with "ABC_XY_" into 1 file and rest of the lines (not starting with "ABC_XY_") into another file. Could you please help with what command needs to be used? file1.txt ----------... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyaatcgi
12 Replies
IRSEND(1)							   User Commands							 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.9.0-pre1 October 2010 IRSEND(1)