Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Default rule to be executed in makefile Post 302929973 by Don Cragun on Monday 29th of December 2014 07:46:38 AM
Old 12-29-2014
The default is for make to list the commands it will run just before it runs them. The default can be overridden on the command line (-s option) or by naming targets whose updates are not to be listed as prerequisites for the special target .SILENT (or everything if .TARGET is included with no prerequisites).

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

make and clean in a single rule in the makefile.

Hi, This stems from the following thread https://www.unix.com/showthread.php?t=18299 I have a makefile which makes either executables or a shared library. i.e. make -f unix.mak will create the executables and make -f unix.mak libolsv will create the shared library. Since these have to be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Makefile problem - How to run module load in a Makefile

Hi, I'm trying to run the module load command in a Makefile and i'm getting the following error: make: module: command not found Why is this? Is there any way to run this command in a Makefile? NOTE: command - module load msjava/sunjdk/1.5.0 works fine outside of the Makefile (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hernandinho
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Makefile rule being skipped

I can't seem to get a rule in my Makefile to ever run... even if I change the rule to force make to re-enter the rule, or if I change the dependent files the rule depends on. Any ideas why the second rule is being ignored here? #MAKEFILES = $(DIRS:%=$(ROOT)/%/Makefile) #$(MAKEFILES):... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: foureightyeast
0 Replies

4. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Rule # 8

In light of this board's rule stating "no BSD vs. Linux vs. Windows or similar threads," is the following post legal (can I post it)? Hi. I'm thinking about obtaining a web server for business purposes and I want to learn to administer and maintain the server myself. I need to be able to use... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bluegospel
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Makefile executing another Makefile first?

I have 2 libraries in 2 different directories that I build with Makefiles. library B depends on library A. If I modify a .cpp file in library A and run lib B's Makefile can I have B's makefile to automatically rebuild library A? I am now rebuilding A, followed by B... but I'd like B to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wwuster
0 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with Simple Multi-Level Makefile (Extremely New at Makefile)

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Basically, the prompt is make a makefile with various sub makefiles in their respective subdirectories. All code... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tatl
1 Replies

7. AIX

Script not getting executed via cron but executes when executed manually.

Hi Script not getting executed via cron but executes successfully when executed manually. Please assist cbspsap01(appuser) /app/scripts > cat restart.sh #!/bin/ksh cd /app/bin date >>logfile.out echo "Restart has been started....." >>logfile.out date >>logfile.out initfnsw -y restart... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Defining a new suffix rule in a Makefile

Hi everybody, I have a Makefile where a single suffix rule is defined: .SUFFIXES: .cpp .cpp.o: ${CXX} ${CXXFLAGS} -c -o $@ $< And I'd like to create another where an additional flag is added to compile in SMP. Right now, I have to do it like this: interface-smp.o:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zel2008
2 Replies

9. Programming

Makefile No rule to make target

I am trying to create a makefile to build a program and am getting the following error: make -f tsimplex.mk make: *** No rule to make target `/main/tsimplex_main.cpp', needed by `tsimplex_main.o'. Stop. OPSYS = $(shell uname -s ) TARGET = tsimplex ROOTDIR = ../../.. GTSDIR =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies
Makefile::AST(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					Makefile::AST(3pm)

NAME
Makefile::AST - AST for (GNU) makefiles DESCRIPTION
The structure of this (GNU) makefile AST is designed based on GNU make's data base listing output produced by "--print-data-base". This AST library provides the following classes: Makefile::AST The primary class for ASTs. Provides interface for node adding and querying, such as "add_implicit_rule", "apply_implicit_rules", "add_explicit_rule", "apply_explicit_rules", "add_var", "add_auto_var", "get_var", as well as lots of other utility functions, like method "eval_var_value" for computing the ultimate values of makefile variables, method "enter_pad" and "leave_pad" for local variable's scoping pad. Makefile::AST::Rule::Base This is the base class for the rule nodes in the AST. It has properties like "normal_prereqs", "order_prereqs", "commands", and "colon". Makefile::AST::Rule This class represents the de-sugared form of simple rules and implicite rules after application. It inherits from Makefile::AST::Rule::Base, and adds new properties "target" and "other_targets". Makefile::AST::Rule::Implicit This class represents the implicit rule nodes in the AST. It inherits from Makefile::AST::Rule::Base, and adds new properties "targets", "match_anything", and "is_terminal". Makefile::AST::StemMatch This class encapsulates the file pattern matching (file names containing "%") and stem substitution algorithms. Makefile::AST::Variable It represents the makefile variable nodes in the AST, including "name", "value", "flavor", and "origin". Makefile::AST::Command Used to encapsulate information regarding makefile rule commands (e.g. command body, command modifiers "@", "-", "+", and etc.) as a whole. LIMITATIONS AND TODO
Adding support for other flavors' makes into this AST library should make a huge amount of sense. The most interesting candiate is Microsoft's NMAKE. CODE REPOSITORY
For the very latest version of this script, check out the source from http://github.com/agentzh/makefile-parser-pm <http://github.com/agentzh/makefile-parser-pm>. There is anonymous access to all. AUTHOR
Zhang "agentzh" Yichun "<agentzh@gmail.com>" COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (c) 2007-2008 by Zhang "agentzh" Yichun (agentzh). This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
Makefile::AST::Evaluator, Makefile::Parser::GmakeDB, makesimple, pgmake-db, Makefile::DOM. perl v5.12.4 2011-08-17 Makefile::AST(3pm)