Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Expect - bash and variables
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Expect - bash and variables Post 302929543 by ylafont on Monday 22nd of December 2014 02:14:55 PM
Old 12-22-2014
Expect - bash and variables

I was wondering if anyone could provide some assistance. I trying to run an expect script within bash and get the results of a variable called RESULT. I Have tried a few things but none of them have worked. I know that the child process (the expect script) in this instance cannot set a variable for the parent. (bash) and the value must be return by the expect script, that is my problem.

my script

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#script for email validation
emaillist=emaillist1.txt
#emaillist=client.csv
SMTPport=25

clear
echo "---------------------------------------------------------------------"
echo "Now performing email validations.......... Please be patient."
echo "---------------------------------------------------------------------"
echo ""
echo ""

header="%-20s %-20s %-10s %-20s %10s\n"
body="%-20s %-20s %-10s %-20s %10s\n"

printf "$header" "E-mail" "Domain" "F-Name" "L-Name" "Status"
printf "$header" "_______________" "____________________" "__________" "____________________" "____________________"

while read line; do
	userinfo=$(echo $line | sed 's/@/,/')
	IFS=',' read -a address <<< "$userinfo"
	userid="${address[0]}"
	domain="${address[1]}"
	fname="${address[2]}"
	lname="${address[3]}"
	#status=vvv
	SMTPlist=$(host $domain | grep "handled by" | awk '{print $7}' | sed 's/\.$//' )

/usr/bin/expect << EOF
	set timeout 1
	#set echo on
	#log_user 0

spawn telnet ${address[4]} $SMTPport
	expect "220"

send "helo $domain\r"
	expect "service"

send "mail from: <mickeymouse@disney.com>\r"
	expect "250"

send "rcpt to: <$userid@$domain>\r"
	expect {
		"250" 	{
			set result "SUCCESSFUL"
			set result $expect_out(buffer)
			puts "\n$userid@$domain validation $result\n"
				}
		"230" {send_user "ACCESS denied validation UNSUCCESSFUL\n"}
		"550" {send_user "$userid@$domain validation UNSUCCESSFUL\n"}		
		"553" {send_user "Requested action nottaken validation UNSUCCESSFUL\n"}		
	}

send "quit"
	expect "closed"
EOF	

printf "$body" "$userid" "$domain" "$fname" "$lname" "$status"
 done < $emaillist

any assistance is appreciated. thank you.

Last edited by vbe; 12-22-2014 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: code tags please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with expect and set variables

I'm writing a script that'll send a time-stamp to my backup server. I create a file with the name of the current date, send it to my server with scp and rm the file from the local computer. Individually these commands work fine and with a set name the expect scripts also work fine. The problem... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ktesh564
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need expect to read variables from a list while logged into the same device

Hi, I'm primarily a Cisco/Juniper networking guy, so you'll have to forgive my ignorance when it comes to scripting (although I do write simple backup scripts and things of that nature on a regular basis and I run Linux at home, so I am vaguely familiar with it). What I need to do should be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolverene13
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to pass variables in Expect command?

Hi All, I need to frame a unix script to logon to a unix box. The credentials needs to be obtained from a property file on the same location. I am trying to use 'expect' and 'spawn' command to meet this req. When I am passing values, these commands are working fine. but when I am trying to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailkarthik
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

expect in bash script

Hi, I'm writing a shell script that calls a few commands that prompt the user for two simple yes/no questions. if the answers are consistent (the first is a yes, the second is a no), what would my expect script look like? Google is only giving me answers for scripts where I telnet or ssh. right now... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: js741
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect and variables

I'm trying to make an expect function that will pass through a variable. /usr/bin/expect<<EOD spawn su - expect "Password: " send "$psswd\r" expect "#" send "/etc/init.d/network restart >>$log\r" expect "#" send "exit\r" EOD The $log passes through but my $psswd fails I know... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lotheovian
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect in bash to get the return value

cat test.sh #!/bin/sh expect <<- EOF set timeout 5 spawn ssh -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no lyang0@128.224.178.245 -C mkdir -p /tmp expect { "Password:" {send "root\r"} } spawn scp -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no /tmp/1 lyang0@128.224.178.245:/tmp/ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH arrays and variables of variables in C++

Sometimes it is handy to protect long scripts in C++. The following syntax works fine for simple commands: #define SHELLSCRIPT1 "\ #/bin/bash \n\ echo \"hello\" \n\ " int main () { cout <<system(SHELLSCRIPT1); return 0; } Unfortunately for there are problems for: 1d arrays:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: frad
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script with expect

Dear all Hi I want use expect in bash so that we can not use these with each other /bin/bash. With. /usr/bin/expect How can use these with on script or how can call a script from other script #!/bin/bash clear echo "================================== " echo "Enter your Esxi IP"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Baber
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bash script + expect

im very happy to back for this forum I have servers with alias of double dns extentions: sample: servera.test.com servera.test1.com serverb.test.com serverb.test1.com I need to login to that severs and executing the set of commands if test.com failed then try to login via... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakash0106
0 Replies
BASHBUG(1)						      General Commands Manual							BASHBUG(1)

NAME
bashbug - report a bug in bash SYNOPSIS
bashbug [--version] [--help] [email-address] DESCRIPTION
bashbug is a shell script to help the user compose and mail bug reports concerning bash in a standard format. bashbug invokes the editor specified by the environment variable EDITOR on a temporary copy of the bug report format outline. The user must fill in the appropriate fields and exit the editor. bashbug then mails the completed report to bug-bash@gnu.org, or email-address. If the report cannot be mailed, it is saved in the file dead.bashbug in the invoking user's home directory. The bug report format outline consists of several sections. The first section provides information about the machine, operating system, the bash version, and the compilation environment. The second section should be filled in with a description of the bug. The third sec- tion should be a description of how to reproduce the bug. The optional fourth section is for a proposed fix. Fixes are encouraged. ENVIRONMENT
bashbug will utilize the following environment variables if they exist: EDITOR Specifies the preferred editor. If EDITOR is not set, bashbug defaults to emacs. HOME Directory in which the failed bug report is saved if the mail fails. TMPDIR Directory in which to create temporary files and directories. SEE ALSO
bash(1) AUTHORS
Brian Fox, Free Software Foundation bfox@gnu.org Chet Ramey, Case Western Reserve University chet@po.cwru.edu GNU Bash-4.0 1998 July 30 BASHBUG(1)