Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Finding all files based on pattern Post 302929498 by Lakshman_Gupta on Monday 22nd of December 2014 07:10:06 AM
Old 12-22-2014
Thanks Don for this useful script!!!

Hi Rudic,

Was just building on your awk commands three things still i am not able to sort out.

1) How to use this awk command recursively in all subdirectory. as of now i am thinking to utilize find something like below

Code:
find . -name "*.*" -exec /usr/xpg4/bin/awk     '               {sub (/--.*$/,"")}
         {sub('/\/\*/,/\*\//',"")}
         $0 ~ PAT       {print FILENAME}
        ' PAT="insurance_no" {} \;

2) if there is multiple occurence of the insurance_no( outside the comment )for each occurence its resulting filename. To just resolve this i put sort -u after pipe. but any other way in awk itself to limit if first occurence then give file name and come out search for another file

Code:
bash-3.2$ find . -name "test_*" -exec /usr/xpg4/bin/awk     '               {sub (/--.*$/,"")}
>          {sub('/\/\*/,/\*\//',"")}
>          $0 ~ PAT       {print FILENAME}
>         ' PAT="RQST_ID" {} \;
./test_2.txt
./test_2.txt
./test_1.txt
./test_1.txt
./test_1.txt

3) As of my understanding this awk command is literally going inside each file and replacing the commented part and then searching for the pattern. in this way performance will degrade. Can we do this in vice versa way first literally search pattern and then replace commented part and then see if there is still pattern in un-commented part.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a specific pattern from thousands of files ????

Hi All, I want to find a specific pattern from approximately 400000 files on solaris platform. Its very heavy for me to grep that pattern to each file individually. Can anybody suggest me some way to search for specific pattern (alpha numeric) from these forty thousand files. Please note that... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding duplicate files by size and finding pattern matching and its count

Hi, I have a challenging task,in which i have to find the duplicate files by its name and size,then i need to take anyone of the file.Then i need to open the file and find for more than one pattern and count of that pattern. Note:These are the samples of two files,but i can have more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome Sukumar
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding conserved pattern in different files

Hi power user, For examples, I have three different files: file 1: file2: file 3: AAA CCC ZZZ BBB BBB CCC CCC DDD DDD DDD TTT AAA EEE AAA XXX I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjas
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding all files that do not match a certain pattern

I hope I'm asking this the right way -- I've been sending out a lot of resumes and some of them I saw on Craigslist -- so I named the file as 'Craigslist -- (filename)'. Well I noticed that at least one of the files was misspelled as 'Craigslit.' I want to eventually try to write a shell... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding and moving files based on the last three numerical characters in the filename

Hi, I have a series of files (upwards of 500) the filename format is as follows CC10-1234P1999.WGS84.p190, all in one directory. Now the last three numeric characters, in this case 999, can be anything from 001 to 999. I need to move some of them to a seperate directory, the ones I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: roche.j.mike
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the files based on date..

Hi to every one , i had ascenario like this.. i had path like export/home/pmutv/test/ in this i will recive 43 files daily with each file having that days date i.e like product.sh.20110512 like this i will 43 files every day i had to find the files. if files are avaliable i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apple2685
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding/replacing strings in some files based on a file

Hi, We have a file (e.g. a .csv file, but could be any other format), with 2 columns: the old value and the new value. We need to modify all the files within the current directory (including subdirectories), so find and replace the contents found in the first column within the file, with the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Talkabout
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding 4 current files having specific File Name pattern

Hi All, I am trying to find 4 latest files inside one folder having following File Name pattern and store them into 4 different variables and then use for processing in my shell script. File name is fixed length. 1) Each file starts with = ABCJmdmfbsjop letters + 7 Digit Number... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lancesunny
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding log files that match number pattern

I have logs files which are generated each day depending on how many processes are running. Some days it could spin up 30 processes. Other days it could spin up 50. The log files all have the same pattern with the number being the different factor. e.g. LOG_FILE_1.log LOG_FILE_2.log etc etc ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atelford
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding the same pattern in three consecutive lines in several files in a directory

I know how to search for a pattern/regular expression in many files that I have in a directory. For example, by doing this: grep -Ril "News/U.S." . I can find which files contain the pattern "News/U.S." in a directory. I am unable to accomplish about how to extend this code so that it can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for lines containing a given pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [-elnsv] pattern [file] ... OPTIONS
-e -e pattern is the same as pattern -c Print a count of lines matched -i Ignore case -l Print file names, no lines -n Print line numbers -s Status only, no printed output -v Select lines that do not match EXAMPLES
grep mouse file # Find lines in file containing mouse grep [0-9] file # Print lines containing a digit DESCRIPTION
Grep searches one or more files (by default, stdin) and selects out all the lines that match the pattern. All the regular expressions accepted by ed and mined are allowed. In addition, + can be used instead of * to mean 1 or more occurrences, ? can be used to mean 0 or 1 occurrences, and | can be used between two regular expressions to mean either one of them. Parentheses can be used for grouping. If a match is found, exit status 0 is returned. If no match is found, exit status 1 is returned. If an error is detected, exit status 2 is returned. SEE ALSO
cgrep(1), fgrep(1), sed(1), awk(9). GREP(1)