Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash error when using quote
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash error when using quote Post 302929304 by sea on Friday 19th of December 2014 10:32:58 AM
Old 12-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdole
If either the directory source or destination contain space, I must use quote ?
Yes.
* is handled as shell expansion, but if you put it into quotes, it might be taken literary (as in: just as the char it is)
This is also true for REGEX, if you put them into quotes, they will fail.

There are a few exceptions to this:
Code:
for ELEMENT in "${ARRAY[*]}"
do
   echo "$ELEMENT"
done

Here, the quotes around the array would be required, if any of the arrays elements contains a space.

In some occasions it is easier to make a list-variable first.
Code:
# Defines the variable 'list' as an array
declare -A list   
# Fill the array, exit if it fails
list=$(echo /var/log/*log) || exit 1 
# Copy the files
cp -v "${list[*]}" "/target/dir"

Alternativly, you can create an array also like these:
Code:
array1=( one two "t h r e e" four)

array2=( $(ls /var/log/*log) )

array3[0]=one
array3[1]=two
array3[2]="t h r e e"

Hope this helps
This User Gave Thanks to sea For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error : no closing quote in unix

Hey I was stuck in middle of writing this script Can any one help me out of this I am writing this script to delete the log files certain days old and everything fine but when I run the script I always see error at the bottom ./PurgeOneParameter.ksh: no closing quote and for the last if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinky
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing Data between first quote and next quote

I have input file like RDBMS FALIURE UTY8703 'USER_WORK.TEST' .HIghest return code '12' I want to parse data which comed between first quote till next quote USER_WORK.TEST can you please suggest how to do that (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorp_rahul23
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

double-quote inside double-quote

hey all, i made a simple .sh like this: echo "<style media="screen" type="text/css">@import url("main.css");</style>" but the output is: <style media=screen type=text/css>@import url(main.css);</style> i want to keep double-quotes, can anyone help me? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indraf
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex in grep to match all lines ending with a double quote (") OR a single quote (')

Hi, I've been trying to write a regex to use in egrep (in a shell script) that'll fetch the names of all the files that match a particular pattern. I expect to match the following line in a file: Name = "abc" The regex I'm using to match the same is: egrep -l '(^) *= *" ** *"$' /PATH_TO_SEARCH... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NanJ
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing a quote in some lines with multiple quote fields

i want to replace mistaken quotes in line starting with tag 300 and relocate the quote in the correct position so the input is 223;25 224;20100428064823;1;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;8;1;3;9697;18744;;;;;;;;;;;; 300;X;Event:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wradwan
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

quote problem

Hi Everyone hwo are you i have one file "abc.txt" which contains record like this "1","2","3" "3","4","5" now i want to change above 2 to 5 so i write the code as awk ' BEGIN{FS=","} { if(NR==1) { print $1",5","$3 } else { print $0 } ' abc.txt but the outpute is "1",5,"3"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To quote or not

My question is, "Do I not understand, or is my information out of date?" I am trying to just be a student, rtfm'ing. I am working on my work systems. Is it simply that the book was printed in 2002 and a lot has changed since then, or did I miss something? Working in Korn Shell. I have been... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: g.j.huebschman
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing Double Quote in Double Quote incsv file

Hi All , We have source data file as csv file and since data could contain commas ,each attribute is quoted into double quotes.However problem is that some of the attributa data also contain double quotes which is converted to double double quote while creating csv file XLs data : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shalini Badal
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing all but the first and last double quote in a line with a single quote with awk

From: 1,2,3,4,5,This is a test 6,7,8,9,0,"This, is a test" 1,9,2,8,3,"This is a ""test""" 4,7,3,1,8,"""" To: 1,2,3,4,5,This is a test 6,7,8,9,0,"This; is a test" 1,9,2,8,3,"This is a ''test''" 4,7,3,1,8,"''"Is there an easy syntax I'm overlooking? There will always be an odd number... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
5 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

A terrific quote:

Food for thought! """ Everybody in this country should learn to program a computer...because it teaches you how to think. """ Steve Jobs. So, SO, true! Merry XMAS all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
4 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)