Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Can sed use a file on the syntax? Post 302929213 by Don Cragun on Thursday 18th of December 2014 10:24:03 PM
Old 12-18-2014
What you're asking for should be possible with something like:
Code:
sed "/$(cat Y)/ s/number/$(cat X)/" test_imput > test_output

but since you haven't said what OS or shell you're using, we can only guess at the syntax your shell uses for command substitution.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed syntax

Hi, How can i use sed command to modify a part of a variable containing "/" by another containing "/" like describe below: VAR="/app/share/eai" VAR1="/app/share" VAR2="/data/test" echo $VAR | sed 's/... ??? # using sed to replace $VAR1 in $VAR by $VAR2 ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jo_aze
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help for Sed Syntax problem

I have one File named "txt_file" # cat txt_file <DBType>RT</DBType> <AppType>RT</AppType> -------------------------------------------------- I want replace "<AppType>RT</AppType>" to <AppType>XY</AppType> in txt_file and output redirect to Newfile ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SanjayLinux
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax for variables in sed

I always kind of wondered this but I have a variable that I want to use in a search and replace. Basically I want to search a file for the string in my variable and replace it with something fixed but I'm unsure of the variable rule in sed. Here's generally what I have: sed 's/$name/newname/g'... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: eltinator
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

What syntax to use with sed c\

I know that I want to entirely replace line 3 in my file filename.txt. I have tried all sorts of variations of sed 3,3,c\replacement stuff\ filename.txt with no success. about the only thing that causes any reaction is sed 3,3c\\ filename.txt but it just prints out the whole file. ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: SusanDAC
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Obscure sed extraction syntax

Hi, Could anyone clearly explain me the below sed construct in detail to get to know what it actually does? sed 's/\(* *\)//4' echo 'test;10;20' | sed 's/*;\(*\)/\1/' (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explain following sed syntax please

Thanks to this forum I have managed to work out a solution to my problem and actually understand most of it, but one thing is confusing me and I am sure someone here can explain. I need to insert a piece of txt into a file. This txt is awk '{ sub(/$/,"\r"); print }' $JCL_WBB50103_EFTOUT >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hukcjv
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed - need help for syntax

Hello, here is what I've got : FILE='/OPERATIONNEL/SATURNE/CHAMPS/MASTER/ANA/SATURNE_1DAV_20080805_20080806_S3D_T_R20080806.NC ';;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswex
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed s/// syntax help

<tr><td width=10% style='width:5%;background:#F7F0D9;padding:0in 0in 0in 0in 0in'><center><b>Package</b></td><td width=10% valign=center style='width:5%;background:#F7F0D9;padding:0in 0in 0in 0in 0in'><center><b>JTs</b></td> This is got to be simple. I run this on the above .html file: sed... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba_frog
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed syntax error

Hi, In the following excerpt of shell script code: I could not understand the sed syntax. Could anyone shed some light on this? configure_ssl() { jboss_conf_file=$1 echo "Configuring SSL for -" ${jboss_conf_file} isSSLSetup=`echo cat ${jboss_conf_file} | grep <Connector... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Another sed Syntax Puzzle . . .

Greetings! Have a quick question for the community today; this time looking at a nifty little sed puzzle ;) Consider the following file content to be worked through:What needs to happen is theblock should be removed up to and including the following blank line, leavingI have bits and pieces... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
8 Replies
CAT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAT(1)

NAME
cat -- concatenate and print files SYNOPSIS
cat [-beflnstuv] [-] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cat utility reads files sequentially, writing them to the standard output. The file operands are processed in command line order. A single dash represents the standard input, and may appear multiple times in the file list. The word ``concatenate'' is just a verbose synonym for ``catenate''. The options are as follows: -b Implies the -n option but doesn't number blank lines. -e Implies the -v option, and displays a dollar sign ('$') at the end of each line as well. -f Only attempt to display regular files. -l Set an exclusive advisory lock on the standard output file descriptor. This lock is set using fcntl(2) with the F_SETLKW command. If the output file is already locked, cat will block until the lock is acquired. -n Number the output lines, starting at 1. -s Squeeze multiple adjacent empty lines, causing the output to be single spaced. -t Implies the -v option, and displays tab characters as '^I' as well. -u The -u option guarantees that the output is unbuffered. -v Displays non-printing characters so they are visible. Control characters print as '^X' for control-X; the delete character (octal 0177) prints as '^?'. Non-ascii characters (with the high bit set) are printed as 'M-' (for meta) followed by the character for the low 7 bits. EXIT STATUS
The cat utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The command: cat file1 will print the contents of file1 to the standard output. The command: cat file1 file2 > file3 will sequentially print the contents of file1 and file2 to the file file3, truncating file3 if it already exists. See the manual page for your shell (i.e., sh(1)) for more information on redirection. The command: cat file1 - file2 - file3 will print the contents of file1, print data it receives from the standard input until it receives an EOF ('^D') character, print the con- tents of file2, read and output contents of the standard input again, then finally output the contents of file3. Note that if the standard input referred to a file, the second dash on the command-line would have no effect, since the entire contents of the file would have already been read and printed by cat when it encountered the first '-' operand. SEE ALSO
head(1), hexdump(1), lpr(1), more(1), pr(1), tail(1), view(1), vis(1), fcntl(2) Rob Pike, "UNIX Style, or cat -v Considered Harmful", USENIX Summer Conference Proceedings, 1983. STANDARDS
The cat utility is expected to conform to the IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') specification. The flags [-belnstv] are extensions to the specification. HISTORY
A cat utility appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. Dennis Ritchie designed and wrote the first man page. It appears to have been cat(1). BUGS
Because of the shell language mechanism used to perform output redirection, the command ``cat file1 file2 > file1'' will cause the original data in file1 to be destroyed! This is performed by the shell before cat is run. BSD
September 23, 2006 BSD