Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Asking independent-study textbook-style questions Post 302928534 by favq on Friday 12th of December 2014 11:38:28 AM
Old 12-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrageous
You could cite the book and the issue.
Thank you for answering.
The book that I'm self-studying is "The Unix Programming Environment" by Kernighan and Ritchie. (I edited my original post to include it.)
I've already managed to solve the exercises that I found so far. So, as of yet, I don't have any specific doubt in the book. But, anyway, how should I proceed if I decide to ask further doubts from this book? Should I just cite the book in the last item of the template?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by favq; 12-12-2014 at 01:05 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to favq For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

making the application session independent

Hi all, I am actually new to Unix programming and this is my first question to this forum. I have an application and i want it to run independent of the command shell. For example, i run the application from a telnet session. But when i close my session, application is terminated. I just... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bokhari_jawad
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to Launch an independent process.

Hello, I needed a help please... I have an application which launches process. For this i am using fork and execv method calls. By doing this my launched process are now child process of the parent process(launching process). I dont want this to happen, i want the process that is launched to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepthi
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

is syslogd logging locale independent?

Just wanna know whether syslogd logs messages in a locale-independent fashion. I want to read the date/time format from log files. Normally the date/time is of the form Jan 23 04:11:30. can this date/time information found in log files be different for different locales?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudesh
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Purchase CD when already have textbook

Hi folks. I bought a used "Guide to Unix Using Linux" 3rd edition. The seller (third part from Amazon) did not include the CDs. I want to now just buy the CDs. I contacted the publisher and posted on a couple of forums. I searched with the ISBN 0619215623 and couldn't find anything. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tckilian
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Machine Independent??

Hi What do we mean when we say " Unix is Machine Independent?" Can anybody explain with example? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Session independent process

Hi i am trying to run a report which takes approx 5 hours to complete so what i did i put that reporting command in background and then this reporting process started executed in background but the problem is when i close that session that background job lost :( .... please help me that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Independent column sorting

Dear All, I have a set of columns (usually unknown number) and I would like to sort each of them (descending values) but my columns are independent. Can you please help me file1 1,5,7 3,4,9 2,6,8 outcome should be 1,4,7 2,5,8 3,6,9 I have tried sort -n -k1,1 -k2,2 -k3,3 but this... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
8 Replies

8. IP Networking

1 VPS with 2 IP addresses. How to make them independent?

I have this in /etc/network/interfaces: auto ens3 iface ens3 inet static address 46.xx.xxx.1x7 netmask 255.255.252.0 broadcast 46.38.xxx.255 gateway 46.xx.xxx.1 auto ens3:0 iface ens3:0 inet static address 188.xx.xx.xx5 netmask... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Douro
0 Replies

9. IP Networking

1 VPS with 2 IP addresses. How to make them independent?

Code: auto ens3 iface ens3 inet static address 46.xx.xxx.1x7 netmask 255.255.252.0 broadcast 46.38.xxx.255 gateway 46.xx.xxx.1 auto ens3:0 iface ens3:0 inet static address 188.xx.xx.xx5 netmask 255.255.255.255 I want the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: oshihari
1 Replies
BIBLEDIT-RDWRT(1)					      General Commands Manual						 BIBLEDIT-RDWRT(1)

NAME
bibledit-rdwrt - Read or writes data to or from a Bibledit-Gtk Bible or project DESCRIPTION
Bibledit-rdwrt can read from or write to Bible data. Syntax: bibledit-rdwrt -r|-w project book chapter|0 fileName Breaking the syntax down we have: First parameter: -r|-w This can be either -r or -w which determines whether the remaining arguments are going to do a "read" operation from the specified Bibledit-Gtk Bible / project, or do a "write" operation to that Bible / project. Second parameter: project This gives the name of the Bibledit-Gtk Bible / project. All we have to do is ensure that the project name we want to access is a valid/existing one. Third parameter: book This is simply the 3-letter book code for the Bible book that is being read/written to. I.e., MAT for Matthew, GEN for Genesis, etc. Fourth parameter: chapter|0 This can be either a chapter number or 0 (zero) for reading/writing either an individual chapter or read- ing/writing a whole book (when the parameter is 0). Fifth parameter: fileName This is a temporary file name that we assign for our use with bibledit-rdwrt. For a read (-r) operation this fileName argument is the name of the file that will be created by bibledit-rdwrt containing a copy of the whole book (corresponding to the 3-letter code), or that contains the individual chapter contents (of a designated chapter) of an existing Bibledit-Gtk book file in the Bible / project. It should be prefixed with a path us. Since bibledit-rdwrt is a console operation, after AdaptIt calls it using ::wxExe- cute, it would need to read the resulting temporary file to grab the contents for its use. For a write (-w) operation this fileName argu- ment is the name of the temporary file that bibledit-rdwrt reads to get the text which it then writes to the appropriate Bible / project file. The temporary file can contain the text of a whole book, or just the text of a single chapter for the book specified by the book 3-letter code and the chapter (number) argument. bibledit-rdwrt may exit with 0 on success, or -1 on failure, as it sees fit. It may write to stdout or stderr, as it sees fit. LICENSE
This program is distributed under the GNU General Public License, as noted in each source file. Version 4.2 August 18 2011 BIBLEDIT-RDWRT(1)