Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grabbing entire content of file except spaces at the end Post 302927955 by SkySmart on Sunday 7th of December 2014 10:36:16 PM
Old 12-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
I find using an open parenthesis matched by a closing brace strange, but maybe something like:
Code:
awk '
/[(]/,/[}]/ {print;next}
!/^[[:blank:]]*$/
' nbApp.json

will do what you want???
thank you. that was my mistake. the parenthesis should have been an open "{". i've fixed it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Editing the end of the file without loading the entire file

hi! I am a newbee. I would really appreciate if you can answer the following question: I have a huge data file, 214MB with several coloumns. I need to delete the very last line of the file. Everything I know takes a lot of time to do it ( because I have to open the file in an editor or run a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Garuda
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting end line spaces for along file

How can i clear all space characteres for a long file at the end of each line? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: osymad
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

To Trim spaces at the end of line

Hi Friends, Can any one help with this issue: How to trim spaces for each line at the end, Like I have a file in this format. EMP1 SMITH 46373 5 STREET HOWARD 74636 EMP2 JONES 5454 { these are spaces ........} EMP3 SMITH 46373 5 STREET HOWARD 74636 EMP4 JON 2554 { these are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sbasetty
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove spaces from first field, and write entire contents into other text file

Hi all, I have searched and found various threads about removing spaces from a field within a text file. Unfortunately, I have not found exactly what I'm looking for, nor am I adept enough to modify what I've found into what I need. I use the following command to remove the first line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: carriehoff
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to append spaces(say 10 spaces) at the end of each line based on the length of th

Hi, I have a problem where I need to append few spaces(say 10 spaces) for each line in a file whose length is say(100 chars) and others leave as it is. I tried to find the length of each line and then if the length is say 100 chars then tried to write those lines into another file and use a sed... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: prathima
17 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to add blank spaces at the end of every record in a file.

hi, Does anyone has any idea in adding few blank spaces at the end of every record in a file. Eg: file.txt Baby Boy Kim 1234 Baby Boy Vik 1334 Desired output:- output.txt Baby Boy Kim 1234 Baby Boy Vik 1334 I want to add 10 blank spaces at the end every record in file.txt (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to copy entire file content into another file being in last line mode of vi ?

How to copy entire file content into another file being in last line mode of vi ? ---------- Post updated at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:56 AM ---------- Got it : :1,30w file.txt (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: presul
1 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

To remove the extra spaces at the end of each line in a file

I have a file of about 10k records and eace line is having an extra space of 5 byte at the end.. Iwant to remove the extra spaces at the end of each line.. Can someone please help me out.. I tried using sed command and its not working... can someone please help me out. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rammohan
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fill csv entire column with content from another text file

I have a csv that looks like this: ,yude-to-nap2,0,0,0,0,0 ,2twis-yude-to-nap2,0,0,0,0,0 ,2tiws-yude-to-nap2,0,0,0,0,0 ,2arcos-yude-to-nap2,0,0,0,0,0 and another file named m1 that has a single line of text as content: Feb 1 15:30:20 How can I fill the whole the empty column of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RobertoRivera
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing entire fields with specific text at end or beginning of field

Greetings. I've got a csv file with data along these lines: Spumoni's Pizza Place, Placemats n Things, Just Lamps Counterfeit Dollars by Vinnie, Just Shades, Dollar StoreI want to replace the entire comma-delimited field if it matches something ending in "Place" or beginning with "Dollar",... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: palmfrond
2 Replies
FINDRULE(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					      FINDRULE(1p)

NAME
findrule - command line wrapper to File::Find::Rule USAGE
findrule [path...] [expression] DESCRIPTION
"findrule" mostly borrows the interface from GNU find(1) to provide a command-line interface onto the File::Find::Rule heirarchy of modules. The syntax for expressions is the rule name, preceded by a dash, followed by an optional argument. If the argument is an opening parenthesis it is taken as a list of arguments, terminated by a closing parenthesis. Some examples: find -file -name ( foo bar ) files named "foo" or "bar", below the current directory. find -file -name foo -bar files named "foo", that have pubs (for this is what our ficticious "bar" clause specifies), below the current directory. find -file -name ( -bar ) files named "-bar", below the current directory. In this case if we'd have omitted the parenthesis it would have parsed as a call to name with no arguments, followed by a call to -bar. Supported switches I'm very slack. Please consult the File::Find::Rule manpage for now, and prepend - to the commands that you want. Extra bonus switches findrule automatically loads all of your installed File::Find::Rule::* extension modules, so check the documentation to see what those would be. AUTHOR
Richard Clamp <richardc@unixbeard.net> from a suggestion by Tatsuhiko Miyagawa COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Richard Clamp. All Rights Reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
File::Find::Rule perl v5.12.4 2011-09-19 FINDRULE(1p)