Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Frugal installation on WIN 7 no admin rights Post 302927853 by keindeo on Saturday 6th of December 2014 09:27:12 AM
Old 12-06-2014
Frugal installation on WIN 7 no admin rights

Laptop from my work has WIN 7 Enterprise, but I have no admin rights on it and under no circumstances I would change partitions. However it does boot from USB. As I want to use Linux on a regular basis while at home, and I need it to be fast and reliable (also on Win 7 side - so Windows won't crash), could you please tell me:
how to make a frugal installation in a Win 7 folder with booting from USB stick .
I am aware that one can install full Linux on a USB, but it wears out USB memory and probably is not that fast as system operating on a HDD. I've imagined that only core system components and HDD mounting loads from USB stick, but the rest functions on HDD under Win 7. Is it possible with any distro?

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to give Admin rights to a group

Hi can some one help me in giving a group Administrative rights in Linux. So that who ever is added to that group has the rights equal to the Admin. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vamsi_mantena
1 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Windows Admin switching to *nix Admin

I'm currently a Windows admin and have wanted to jump ship to the *nix side for a while now. I've been studying both through an lpic level 1 manual as I have time (focusing on debian), and a solaris 10 cert book. The problem is I only have a handful of hours a week to study, and my current job... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobwilson
3 Replies

3. Solaris

New user question regarding admin rights

I'm trying to install OpenOffice on Solaris 11 but when I click on the setup icon I get an error message telling me that I need to have admin rights. I've tried logging on as SU or ROOT but cannot. I don't see how to grant myself admin rights. How is it done ? I know there are many many... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stansaraczewski
7 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Regarding Admin life either as DBA or UNIX Linux admin

I am planning to choose my career as Unix/Linux Admin or a DBA. But I have come to know from forums and few admins like the job will be 24/7. I have few questions on that. Can we get "DAY" shifts in any one of the admin Job ? Can't we have shift timings in any company ? Eventhough the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jacktts
7 Replies
services-admin(1)						   User Commands						 services-admin(1)

NAME
services-admin - Basic tool to enable and disable SMF services. SYNOPSIS
services-admin [gnome-std-options] DESCRIPTION
services-admin provides a simple list view of all the services configured on the system (in SMF) and allows the user to enable/disable the services. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: gnome-std-options Standard options available for use with most GNOME applications. See gnome-std-options(5) for more informa- tion. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Running the main application. example% services-admin EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/services-admin Executable for services configuration. /var/spool/setup-tool-backends/backup/services Backup directory for files that are modified. /var/run/setup-tool-backends/debug/services Debug logs can be found under here. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-system-tools | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Uncommitted | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. users-admin(1), shares-admin(1), time-admin(1), network-admin(1), gnome-std-options(5), smf(5), svcadm(1M), svcs(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
It isn't possible to do anything other than disable/enable a service. Some services may not be listed. Written by Darren Kenny, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2006. SunOS 5.11 6 Nov 2006 services-admin(1)