Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unable to create a SPOT
Operating Systems AIX Unable to create a SPOT Post 302927231 by bakunin on Monday 1st of December 2014 03:53:13 PM
Old 12-01-2014
Quote:
Code:
   mk_netboot    = yes
   missing       = "network boot image"
   missing       = bos.64bit
   missing       = bos.diag
   [...]

You need to include the filesets reported as "missing". A SPOT (shared product object tree) is like a shared, NFS-mounted "/usr"-tree and therefore needs several core packages included otherwise it couldn't act in this function. If you do not have them in your LPP-source you should include them there either.

Further, this is only a suspicion but it seems you manipulated the exports file yourself. As a rule of thumb: don't do that! At least don't do that with anything in or below the directory with the NIM resources. It might solve one specific problems but usually introduces several dozens of new ones in the process.

Another frequent problem is the definition of the NIM networks. NIM works (in parts) on top of the bootp protocol and therefore has to specifically check clients on other networks if they can be booted with it (this means testing the switch/router for being able to act as a "bootp relay agent", originally called "bootp forwarding agents", see RFC951, RFC1532, RFC1542, etc.) which is why for each network a client could be on a "NIM network" has to be defined.

Finally, when you allocate a resource to a client and it doesn't work somehow in most cases - but not all! - the resources are deallocated. Alas, rather frequently they remain allocated and not even a deallocation with the "force" option will straighten them out. NIM is quite untrustworthy in this regard and i hate to say it but it didn't improve much over the ~20 years i work with it. It is sometimes a good idea to simply delete the respective machines object and recreate it from scratch.

Right now i am not at the office so i cannot look it up but tomorrow i can post you a simpler way to create SPOTs, so stay tuned.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Last edited by bakunin; 12-01-2014 at 05:00 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Unable to create a group

Hi, I'm trying to create a new group on an AIX 5.2.0.0. server but am getting the following error: root:/root $ mkgroup debt 3004-698 Error committing changes to "debt" : Value is invalid. I've change the group name to no affect. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: m223464
0 Replies

2. Solaris

unable to create flar

Hello friend, Now i'm doing JDS3.1 in v440 servers.while checking the lustatus command getiing out like this lustatus Boot Environment Is Active Active Can Copy Name Complete Now On Reboot Delete Status -------------------------- --------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjay.com
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to create alias

I am using Solaris 9 machine. I am unable to create any aliases. I gave the following command: alias ls='ls -ltr' It did nt give any errors. But next time, I use ls, it is working simply as ls but not like ls -ltr. I am not having admin permissions. Is it the reason. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mumashankar
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to create a bootable tape

Good morning, I have no unix training. My daily backup failed with the following error. ' Cannot create /tmp/tape.bootimage because it already exists. I am using smit to run a rootvg and SAPvg backup. What should I do? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ubyankees
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Need help. Unable to create threads after a certain number

Hi, I have a process which creates pthreads to generate some reports. After creating the reports these threads return null. But after 1024 threads, the process is not able to create any threads further.,and at max 5 threads are existing simultaneously and are returning the control back after... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krsh
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Unable to create folder as a user

Hi All, I am trying to create a folder in /export/home/user1 directory as a user1 but I am getting the error message as -bash-3.00$ mkdir abc mkdir: Failed to make directory "abc"; Permission denied Also I tried creating the folder but it fails too -bash-3.00$ touch abc touch: cannot... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manjunath K V
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

unable to open / create any file in vi

Hi, I am unable to create/open any file in vi editor for normal user, though using root I am able to create/open any file, using redhat 5.5, example vi test it showing nothing after entering command (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
9 Replies

8. AIX

Unable to Create spot from mksysb

Hello All, Kindly need help in my problem i.e. I get this error when i create spot from mksysb. #0042-001 nim: processing error encountered on "master": 0042-001 m_mkspot: processing error encountered on "master": 0042-175 c_mkspot: An unexpected result was returned by the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emerann
2 Replies

9. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Unable to create new thread

Hi. I registered, but when trying to post, I get ... "Sorry, you do not have enough Bits to post a new thread" Google & Forum search showed some hits, but no solution. Please advide. Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gehe
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Unable to create a ftp user only

Hi all I am facing difficulties when using the useraddcommand. when running useradd -u 60006 -g 100 -d /opt/xxx/yyy/z -m -s /bin/false ftpuser It does create the user, but with a wrong home directory. It creates its home directory at /home/ftpuser Please can you help? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
2 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)