Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Proxy Server iptables as "proxy" and a filter Post 302927078 by Smiling Dragon on Sunday 30th of November 2014 07:02:17 PM
Old 11-30-2014
One thing I note in your friend's script is that it sets the firewall to drop all incoming connections before allowing port 22 (ssh) connections. If something goes wrong along the way on this, you'll need console access to get back in :/ I'd recommend setting the -P INPUT DROP last tbh Smilie

As you've noted, this is just INPUT filters, your one is just NAT/IPMASQ. So it's like comparing apples and oranges really.

Looking just at your rules, I don't see anything untoward there, it appears that you are causing the proxy to accept traffic arriving on port 80 and redirecting it to 5.196.130.245.

An external customer connecting to the address would not be able to detect the redirect and would see all their connections as going to and coming back from the address of your proxy.
The webserver would see all the connections as coming from the proxy server address, unless the customer is setting "X-Forwarded-For" headers in their requests (not all that uncommon to find) which would be passed along to the webserver and quite possibly included in it's logs.

If you have a little more background of what your end goal is, we might be able to offer more advice Smilie

I would recommend also adding a FORWARD rule to DROP anything not for that port arriving from the external interface, as you've turned on IP forwarding and at present your setup would happily forward anything anyone asks it to. It's note really serious but could exacerbate any existing security issue into a full exploit.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat $como_file | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g'

hi All, cat file_name | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g' Can this be done by using sed or awk alone (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

4. Solaris

The slices "usr", "opt", "tmp" disappeared!!! Help please.

The system don't boot. on the screen appears following: press enter to maintenance (or type CTRL-D to continue)...I checked with format command. ... the slices "0-root","1-swap","2-backup" exist. ...the slises "3-var","6-usr" -unassigned. :( (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter file by length, looking only at lines that don't begin with ">"

I have a file that stores data in pairs of lines, following this format: line 1: header (preceded by ">") line 2: sequence Example.txt: >seq1 name GATTGATGTTTGAGTTTTGGTTTTT >seq2 name TTTTCTTC I want to filter out the sequences and corresponding headers for all sequences that are less... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep : Filter/Move All The Lines Containing Not More Than One "X" Character Into A Text File

Hi All It's me again with another huge txt files. :confused: What I have: - I have 33 huge txt files in a folder. - I have thousands of line in this txt file which contain many the letter "x" in them. - Some of them have more than one "x" character in the line. What I want to achieve:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
FTP-PROXY(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      FTP-PROXY(8)

NAME
ftp-proxy -- Internet File Transfer Protocol proxy daemon SYNOPSIS
ftp-proxy [-6Adrv] [-a address] [-b address] [-D level] [-m maxsessions] [-P port] [-p port] [-q queue] [-R address] [-T tag] [-t timeout] DESCRIPTION
ftp-proxy is a proxy for the Internet File Transfer Protocol. FTP control connections should be redirected into the proxy using the pf(4) rdr command, after which the proxy connects to the server on behalf of the client. The proxy allows data connections to pass, rewriting and redirecting them so that the right addresses are used. All connections from the client to the server have their source address rewritten so they appear to come from the proxy. Consequently, all connections from the server to the proxy have their destination address rewritten, so they are redirected to the client. The proxy uses the pf(4) anchor facility for this. Assuming the FTP control connection is from $client to $server, the proxy connected to the server using the $proxy source address, and $port is negotiated, then ftp-proxy adds the following rules to the various anchors. (These example rules use inet, but the proxy also supports inet6.) In case of active mode (PORT or EPRT): rdr from $server to $proxy port $port -> $client pass quick inet proto tcp from $server to $client port $port In case of passive mode (PASV or EPSV): nat from $client to $server port $port -> $proxy pass in quick inet proto tcp from $client to $server port $port pass out quick inet proto tcp from $proxy to $server port $port The options are as follows: -6 IPv6 mode. The proxy will expect and use IPv6 addresses for all communication. Only the extended FTP modes EPSV and EPRT are allowed with IPv6. The proxy is in IPv4 mode by default. -A Only permit anonymous FTP connections. Either user "ftp" or user "anonymous" is allowed. -a address The proxy will use this as the source address for the control connection to a server. -b address Address where the proxy will listen for redirected control connections. The default is 127.0.0.1, or ::1 in IPv6 mode. -D level Debug level, ranging from 0 to 7. Higher is more verbose. The default is 5. (These levels correspond to the syslog(3) levels.) -d Do not daemonize. The process will stay in the foreground, logging to standard error. -m maxsessions Maximum number of concurrent FTP sessions. When the proxy reaches this limit, new connections are denied. The default is 100 ses- sions. The limit can be lowered to a minimum of 1, or raised to a maximum of 500. -P port Fixed server port. Only used in combination with -R. The default is port 21. -p port Port where the proxy will listen for redirected connections. The default is port 8021. -q queue Create rules with queue queue appended, so that data connections can be queued. -R address Fixed server address, also known as reverse mode. The proxy will always connect to the same server, regardless of where the client wanted to connect to (before it was redirected). Use this option to proxy for a server behind NAT, or to forward all connections to another proxy. -r Rewrite sourceport to 20 in active mode to suit ancient clients that insist on this RFC property. -T tag The filter rules will add tag tag to data connections, and not match quick. This way alternative rules that use the tagged keyword can be implemented following the ftp-proxy anchor. These rules can use special pf(4) features like route-to, reply-to, label, rtable, overload, etc. that ftp-proxy does not implement itself. -t timeout Number of seconds that the control connection can be idle, before the proxy will disconnect. The maximum is 86400 seconds, which is also the default. Do not set this too low, because the control connection is usually idle when large data transfers are taking place. -v Set the 'log' flag on pf rules committed by ftp-proxy. Use twice to set the 'log-all' flag. The pf rules do not log by default. CONFIGURATION
To make use of the proxy, pf.conf(5) needs the following rules. All anchors are mandatory. Adjust the rules as needed. In the NAT section: nat-anchor "ftp-proxy/*" rdr-anchor "ftp-proxy/*" rdr pass on $int_if proto tcp from $lan to any port 21 -> 127.0.0.1 port 8021 In the rule section: anchor "ftp-proxy/*" pass out proto tcp from $proxy to any port 21 SEE ALSO
ftp(1), pf(4), pf.conf(5) CAVEATS
pf(4) does not allow the ruleset to be modified if the system is running at a securelevel(7) higher than 1. At that level ftp-proxy cannot add rules to the anchors and FTP data connections may get blocked. Negotiated data connection ports below 1024 are not allowed. The negotiated IP address for active modes is ignored for security reasons. This makes third party file transfers impossible. ftp-proxy chroots to "/var/empty" and changes to user "proxy" to drop privileges. BSD
February 26, 2008 BSD