Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Copy Files From a big list
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Copy Files From a big list Post 302926273 by junior-helper on Saturday 22nd of November 2014 01:19:07 PM
Old 11-22-2014
Hello Don,
I offer two answers to your first question, although I think it was a rhetorical one in first place or was no question at all, hehe.
  1. True.
  2. Well, while it's true that I mentioned ls in the comment, I didn't use ls at all. Actually, the OP mentioned ls -ltr first and the comment above the find command was placed just in case the OP wonders why the files are processed top-down and not bottom-up.
ls -t > filelist.txt This looks and *is* very attractive and is *THE* way to create the required file list, but what if there are sub-directories in the particular directory (OK, they could be grepped out like RudiC did), but what if there are spaces in some files (my xargs command would fail then... thats why I told the printf option of the find command to put the file names inside quotes).

Ultimately,
Code:
ls -Ft | grep -v '/$' | sed 's/.*/"&"/' >filelist.txt

is far better than the stunt I performed with find.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy and rename list of files

Hi all, I am a newbie in writng unix..I am using ksh shell..Does anyone know how to copy a list o files from directory A to directory B with differnt names? i.e in Dir A, I have RPT101.555.TXT RPT102.666.TXT and I want to copy those files to dir B with new naming convention.. in Dir B,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinmak
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to List and copy the files containing a string

:confused: I have more than 8000 files in a dir, I need to copy to other dir which containing the "sample" I tried grep -il "1189609240791-1268115603299237276@216.109.111.119 ' | cp /tmp/inv Nothing is happening for long time for 100 file dir too, Any one can help me? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find list of files from a list and copy to a directory

I will be very grateful if someone can help me with bash shell script that does the following: I have a list of filenames: A01_155716 A05_155780 A07_155812 A09_155844 A11_155876 that are kept in different sub directories within my current directory. I want to find these files and copy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishabh
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i copy a list of files with different names into others directory have the same name

dear all. how can i copy a list of files with different names into others directory have the same name like i have 3 files 10_10 10_10_11 10_10_11_12 and i have 3 directories 10_10 10_10_11 10_10_11_12 how can i make a loop to cp this files into the directory have the same name like... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: t17
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy files followed by list of names of all the files in /etc?

....... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcbuilder
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy all files that ls -l list

Hi, I need to copy all files from this statement to another folder: ls –l ./apps | grep –E “^l|^v” How can i do that? best regards! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: xus
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files on a list to another directory

Hi. I have a list with file names like testfile1.wav testfile2.wav testfile3.wav and a folder that contains a large number of wav files (not only the ones on the list). I would like to copy the files whose names are on the list from the wav file directory to a new directory. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bloomy
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy list of files from a keyword list to another directory

Hello, I have a folder with a massive amount of files, and I want to copy out a specific subset of the files to a new directory. I would like to use a text file with the filenames listed, but can't get it to work. The thing I'm hung up on is that the folder names in the path can and do have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: twjolson
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files to a dir using from a list

Hi all, I'd very grateful for some help with the following: I have a directory with several subdirectories with files in them. All files are named different, even between different subdirectories. I also have a list with some of those file names in a txt file (without the path, just the file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: foracoffee
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

I'm trying 2 copy files after using the grep to get a list

for XmlFileName in ${xmlFileNames} do XmlFileName=$(echo $XmlFileName | sed 's|./||') # Remove leading ./ path that find command prefixes to filenames cp $XmlFileName $NEW_DIR/ done (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: emc^24sho
1 Replies
CSREQ(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  CSREQ(1)

NAME
csreq -- Expert tool for manipulating Code Signing Requirement data SYNOPSIS
csreq [-v] -r requirement-input -t csreq [-v] -r requirement-input -b outputfile DESCRIPTION
The csreq command manipulates Code Signing Requirement data. It reads one requirement from a file or command arguments, converts it into internal form, checks it, and then optionally outputs it in a different form. The options are as follows: -b path Requests that the requirement read be written in binary form to the path given. -r requirement-input Specifies the input requirement. See "specifying requirements" below. This is exactly the same format as is accepted by the -r and -R options of the codesign(1) command. -t Requests that the requirement read be written as text to standard output. -v Increases the verbosity of output. Multiple instances of -v produce increasing levels of commentary output. In the first synopsis form, csreq reads a Code Requirement and writes it to standard output as canonical source text. Note that with text input, this actually compiles the requirement into internal form and then converts it back to text, giving you the system's view of the requirement code. In the second synopsis form, csreq reads a Code Requirement and writes its binary representation to a file. This is the same form produced by the SecRequirementCopyData API, and is readily acceptable as input to Code Signing verification APIs. It can also be used as input to subse- quent invocations of csreq by passing the filename to the -r option. SPECIFYING REQUIREMENTS
The requirement argument (-r) can be given in various forms. A plain text argument is taken to be a path to a file containing the require- ment. This program will accept both binary files containing properly compiled requirements code, and source files that are automatically com- piled for use. An argument of "-" requests that the requirement(s) are read from standard input. Again, standard input can contain either binary form or text. Finally, an argument that begins with an equal sign "=" is taken as a literal requirements source text, and is compiled accordingly for use. EXAMPLES
To compile an explicit requirement program and write its binary form to file "output": csreq -r="identifier com.foo.test" -b output.csreq To display the requirement program embedded at offset 1234 of file "foo": tail -b 1234 foo | csreq -r- -t FILES
DIAGNOSTICS
The csreq program exits 0 on success or 1 on failure. Errors in arguments yield exit code 2. SEE ALSO
codesign(1) HISTORY
The csreq command first appeared in Mac OS 10.5.0 . BSD
June 1, 2006 BSD