Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Copy Files From a big list
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Copy Files From a big list Post 302926214 by junior-helper on Friday 21st of November 2014 08:51:15 PM
Old 11-21-2014
There is no (single) command to satisfy your requirement, I'm afraid.

Also not sure if I fully understood the requirement...

All three commands should be executed in the /home/data/orders directory.

Code:
# Invoked once only: create file list
# "ls -lrt" shows the newest files at the bottom
# For easier handling with sed, the created file list will have them at the top
# find . -maxdepth 1 -type f ! -name '.*' -printf '%T@ "%p"\n' | sort -r | cut -d' ' -f2- >filelistdesc.dat
ls -Ft | sed '/\/$/d; s/.*/"&"/' >filelistdesc.dat

Code:
# Grab 50 files from the file list and copy them to /home/work
sed 50q filelistdesc.dat | xargs cp -vt /home/work

# Delete 50 files in the file list
sed -i '1,50d' filelistdesc.dat

Usage:
ls ... # once only
sed 50q ...
sed -i ...
ETL process
sed 50q ...
sed -i ...
ETL process
sed 50q ...
sed -i ...
and so on.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by junior-helper; 11-22-2014 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: commented out the original find command, added "ls" based alternative; Thank you Don and RudiC

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy and rename list of files

Hi all, I am a newbie in writng unix..I am using ksh shell..Does anyone know how to copy a list o files from directory A to directory B with differnt names? i.e in Dir A, I have RPT101.555.TXT RPT102.666.TXT and I want to copy those files to dir B with new naming convention.. in Dir B,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinmak
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to List and copy the files containing a string

:confused: I have more than 8000 files in a dir, I need to copy to other dir which containing the "sample" I tried grep -il "1189609240791-1268115603299237276@216.109.111.119 ' | cp /tmp/inv Nothing is happening for long time for 100 file dir too, Any one can help me? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find list of files from a list and copy to a directory

I will be very grateful if someone can help me with bash shell script that does the following: I have a list of filenames: A01_155716 A05_155780 A07_155812 A09_155844 A11_155876 that are kept in different sub directories within my current directory. I want to find these files and copy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishabh
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i copy a list of files with different names into others directory have the same name

dear all. how can i copy a list of files with different names into others directory have the same name like i have 3 files 10_10 10_10_11 10_10_11_12 and i have 3 directories 10_10 10_10_11 10_10_11_12 how can i make a loop to cp this files into the directory have the same name like... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: t17
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy files followed by list of names of all the files in /etc?

....... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcbuilder
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy all files that ls -l list

Hi, I need to copy all files from this statement to another folder: ls –l ./apps | grep –E “^l|^v” How can i do that? best regards! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: xus
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files on a list to another directory

Hi. I have a list with file names like testfile1.wav testfile2.wav testfile3.wav and a folder that contains a large number of wav files (not only the ones on the list). I would like to copy the files whose names are on the list from the wav file directory to a new directory. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bloomy
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy list of files from a keyword list to another directory

Hello, I have a folder with a massive amount of files, and I want to copy out a specific subset of the files to a new directory. I would like to use a text file with the filenames listed, but can't get it to work. The thing I'm hung up on is that the folder names in the path can and do have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: twjolson
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files to a dir using from a list

Hi all, I'd very grateful for some help with the following: I have a directory with several subdirectories with files in them. All files are named different, even between different subdirectories. I also have a list with some of those file names in a txt file (without the path, just the file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: foracoffee
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

I'm trying 2 copy files after using the grep to get a list

for XmlFileName in ${xmlFileNames} do XmlFileName=$(echo $XmlFileName | sed 's|./||') # Remove leading ./ path that find command prefixes to filenames cp $XmlFileName $NEW_DIR/ done (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: emc^24sho
1 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)