Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash script - printing range of lines from text file Post 302926151 by MadeInGermany on Friday 21st of November 2014 01:16:23 PM
Old 11-21-2014
The IFS= sets IFS empty for the following read command, so the read does no word splitting. This ensures that leading space characters are not suppressed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script w/ IP Range

Is there a basic IP range script or a site that has basic script written? I am making a script that is looking for a device on my network threw HTTP://. I and using a for loop with wget to download the page and using grep to search the code for the serial number. My range is 172.16.x.x/16 I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: captaindoogles
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash help]Adding multiple lines of text into a specific spot into a text file

I am attempting to insert multiple lines of text into a specific place in a text file based on the lines above or below it. For example, Here is a portion of a zone file. IN NS ns1.domain.tld. IN NS ns2.domain.tld. IN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdn_humbucker
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching the lines within a range of time period in a text file

Dear All, Please advice me, I have a text file with one field date and time like below given. I need to find out the lines whchi content the time stamp between Wed May 26 11:03:11 2010 and Wed May 26 11:03:52 2010 both can be included, using awk command which could be an interactive so that I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chinmayadalai
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to test IP range on server

Hello, We have to configure servers with a range of IPs which is in itself a subject for another script assistance request -but- we have run into quite a few IP ranges with routing problems lately. I've been trying to figure out the best way to test a range of IPs, I mean, manually it's not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boxgoboom
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script range calculations

Hi, I have data in the following form: AB001 10 AB002 9 AB003 9 etc AB200 5 What I need to do is sum up the second value according to groups of the first, i.e. AB001 to AB030 the total being X, AB031 to AB050 the total being Y etc (there are 5 AB ranges of different sizes). I'm sure... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrissycc
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to send lines of file to new file based on Regex

I have a file that looks like this: cat includes CORP-CRASHTEST-BU e:\crashplan\ CORP-TEST /usr/openv/java /usr/openv/logs /usr/openv/man CORP-LABS_TEST /usr/openv/java /usr/openv/logs /usr/openv/man What I want to do is make three new files with just those selections. So the three... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to replace text file from a lookup file

Hi. I need assistance with the replacing of text into a specific file via a bash script. My bash script, once run, currently provides a menu of computer names to choose.The script copies onto my system various files, depending what computer was selected in the menu.This is working OK. Now, I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jonesn2000
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing multiple lines on the same line between specific text

This is an extract from a large file. The lines that start with fc are ports on a fabric switch. In between each fc port there is information about the port. fc2/12 is up Port description is SEIEDISCOVER-3 Speed is 4 Gbps fc2/13 is down (Administratively down) fc2/14 is up Port... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kieranfoley
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print a python script down a list in a text file without printing a lot combinations

In a python script I have 2 files printing side by side on the same line. I want to have 1 of the files to be already displayed at once while the other file print down the list in the file and it still will produce new lines. I want to do it like that to reduce printing a lot of lines and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigvito19
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text to lines in a file, iterate backwards until text or text substring matches, print to file

hi all, trying this using shell/bash with sed/awk/grep I have two files, one containing one column, the other containing multiple columns (comma delimited). file1.txt abc12345 def12345 ghi54321 ... file2.txt abc1,text1,texta abc,text2,textb def123,text3,textc gh,text4,textd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shogun1970
6 Replies
DDB(8)							    BSD System Manager's Manual 						    DDB(8)

NAME
ddb -- configure DDB kernel debugger properties SYNOPSIS
ddb capture [-M -core] [-N -system] print ddb capture [-M -core] [-N -system] status ddb script scriptname ddb script scriptname=script ddb scripts ddb unscript scriptname ddb pathname DESCRIPTION
The ddb utility configures certain aspects of the ddb(4) kernel debugger from user space that are not configured at compile-time or easily via sysctl(8) MIB entries. To ease configuration, commands can be put in a file which is processed using ddb as shown in the last synopsis line. An absolute pathname must be used. The file will be read line by line and applied as arguments to the ddb utility. Whitespace at the beginning of lines will be ignored as will lines where the first non-whitespace character is '#'. OUTPUT CAPTURE
The ddb utility can be used to extract the contents of the ddb(4) output capture buffer of the current live kernel, or from the crash dump of a kernel on disk. The following debugger commands are available from the command line: capture [-M core] [-N system] print Print the current contents of the ddb(4) output capture buffer. capture [-M core] [-N system] status Print the current status of the ddb(4) output capture buffer. SCRIPTING
The ddb utility can be used to configure aspects of ddb(4) scripting from user space; scripting support is described in more detail in ddb(4). Each of the debugger commands is available from the command line: script scriptname Print the script named scriptname. script scriptname=script Define a script named scriptname. As many scripts contain characters interpreted in special ways by the shell, it is advisable to enclose script in quotes. scripts List currently defined scripts. unscript scriptname Delete the script named scriptname. EXIT STATUS
The ddb utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following example defines a script that will execute when the kernel debugger is entered as a result of a break signal: ddb script kdb.enter.break="show pcpu; bt" The following example will delete the script: ddb unscript kdb.enter.break For further examples, see the ddb(4) and textdump(4) manual pages. SEE ALSO
ddb(4), textdump(4), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The ddb utility first appeared in FreeBSD 7.1. AUTHORS
Robert N M Watson BUGS
Ideally, ddb would not exist, as all pertinent aspects of ddb(4) could be configured directly via sysctl(8). BSD
December 24, 2008 BSD