Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Command to compress a file
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Command to compress a file Post 302926036 by Maddy123 on Thursday 20th of November 2014 09:27:21 PM
Old 11-20-2014
Thank you all for your inputs.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cpio command with compress

Hi friends.. I want to be able to copy a file from one location to another (locally). The location the files are copied to should have compressed instances of the files they were copied from. copy from /home/user/test.file copy to /backup/user/test.file.Z I need to be able to do this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar command with compress option...

Hi ! i have to write a script that archivs homes not used since 3 years. First, my script gathers the users that are concerned, using the following command : ll -lt /home/*/.sh_history | egrep '2000|1999|1998|1997' | awk '{print $3}' i obtain a list like this : user_1 user_2 ...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomapam
3 Replies

3. SCO

Help on compress command

Hello. Can any1 help me with the compress command. The -b option takes the number of bits used for encoding. can u expalin why this number of bits is used and for what purpose. what is the maximum number we can provide? In SFU these number has a valod range between 12 and 16 y?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
1 Replies

4. Linux

lp command with compress mode

I want to know whether lp command is having option for setting compess mode in linux.Is it possible to pass escape characters to lp command to set printing in compress mode. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zita
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compress command

compress /var/opt/l2/amer/art2/USFINUM0200_.CSV compress /var/opt/l2/amer/art2/USFINUM200_.CSV compress /var/opt/l2/amer/art2/USFINUM020_.CSV compress /var/opt/l2/amer/art2/USFINUM20_.CSV Is there a way to shorten this or write it in a script. The file to be compressed will be USFINUM but... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: indira
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

combining mv and compress command

Hi All, I have a file in DirA/ABC.out a need to move to DirB.I am using the following steps now: mv DirA/ABC.out DirB compress -f DirB/ABC.out Is there a way to just do this one step as I have to move hundreds of files every hour. -Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_78_nyc
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy Compress as one command

Hi, I need to copy and compress files in a directory in single line of command. I am able to copy and gzip files in one command but not directory. Command that I am using for copying directory is below : cp -rp /u01/app/<directory> /u01/app/backup |gzip -r /u01/app/backup/<directory> ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: findprakash
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue: Compress in unix server and FTP to windows and open the compress file using Winzip

Hi All ! We have to compress a big data file in unix server and transfer it to windows and uncompress it using winzip in windows. I have used the utility ZIP like the below. zip -e <newfilename> df2_test_extract.dat but when I compress files greater than 4 gb using zip utility, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compress the file using Tar command

Hi, When i am tar the file particular ,csv file format in a folder i am receiving the error Command: tar cf New_data.tar /new/file/mari/getdata/small/*.xml Arguements too long But sometimes i am able to compress other folder but the tar folder contains all the file format and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: marivinay
10 Replies

10. Red Hat

Does RHEL 5 provide a command to collect RHEL system log in single compress file?

Hi, I heard a command that can collect all RHEL 5 log in a single compress file before I forget. Does any body know...What the command is ? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnnnnnine
4 Replies
giiOpen(3)								GGI								giiOpen(3)

NAME
giiOpen, giiJoinInputs, giiSplitInputs, giiClose - Open, join, split and close inputs SYNOPSIS
#include <ggi/gii.h> gii_input_t giiOpen(const char * input, ...); gii_input_t giiJoinInputs(gii_input_t inp, gii_input_t inp2); int giiSplitInputs(gii_input_t inp, gii_input_t *newhand, uint32_t origin, uint32_t flags); int giiClose(gii_input_t inp); DESCRIPTION
giiOpen opens an input. This function is given the name of an input driver to load. Passing NULL here results in an auto-select mechanism, which currently means examining the contents of GII_INPUT. The optional arguments are a NULL-terminated list of pointers, which are used to give additional information to the targets. Currently only the first pointer is specified: void * argptr, a pointer to a library-specific struct. It is used to pass parameters that are not eas- ily transferable in textual form. Parameters which can be represented in text format are usually transfered in the input parameter, in the format: library_name:arguments giiJoinInputs joins two inputs into one. From a programmers' point of view, this closes both inp and inp2 and opens an new input that com- bines both inputs into one. That is, after giiJoinInputs has completed, there is no need to giiClose inp and inp2 any more. When cleaning up, you need to close the returned input instead. See the example for details. However the inputs are not actually closed or reopened internally. That is, you will not get any startup-events or similar the driver generates, though pending events of both old inputs are transferred to the newly created input. giiSplitInputs splits one of the inputs from a group of joined inputs and returns the handle. The parameter origin can be used to choose which input to detach (use GGI_EV_ORIGIN_NONE to match any input.) The detached handle is returned in newhand. Note, though, that if the detached input is the same one given in inp, then the handle returned in newhand will be that of the rest of the joined inputs instead. You can tell whether this happened by checking the return code. Events queued in the joined input for the newly split input are not trans- ferred automatically. You must drain them out yourself. The parameter flags is reserved for future use and should be set to 0. giiClose releases and destroys an open input and its associated internal control structures. This will put back input streams to their default modes, etc. Important: If you want to handle input while also using LibGGI, using LibGII functions such as giiOpen is almost certainly not what you want. Use LibGGI functions such as ggiEventRead(3) with the LibGGI visual instead. RETURN VALUE
giiOpen and giiJoinInputs return the opened or joined input, or NULL for error. The gii_input_t type is opaque to the programmer and can only be used through GII functions. giiClose returns GGI_OK (== 0) on success, otherwise an gii-error(3) code. giiSplitInputs returns 0 for normal success, or 1 if the input which was split off was the same as the one passed in inp (in which case, newhand may contain a handle to a joined set of visuals.) Otherwise, it returns an gii-error(3) code. EXAMPLES
GII input management: gii_input_t inp, inp2, inp3; /* Initialize the GII library. This must be called before any other * GII function. */ if (giiInit() != 0) exit(1); /* Open the nulldevice for testing ... */ if ((inp=giiOpen("input-null",NULL)) == NULL) { giiExit(); exit(1); } /* Open stdin for testing ... */ if ((inp2=giiOpen("input-stdin",NULL)) == NULL) { giiExit(); exit(1); } /* Open evdev for testing ... */ if ((inp3=giiOpen("input-linux-evdev",NULL)) == NULL) { giiExit(); exit(1); } /* Now join them. Note the usage of _i_n_p_=_giiJoin(inp,inp2); * This is the recommended way to do this. */ inp=giiJoinInputs(inp,inp2); /* Note that this mends inp2 into inp. That is you may not call giiClose(inp2) - this happens together with giiClose(inp) ! */ /* Join another */ inp=giiJoinInputs(inp,inp3); /* ... do the real work here ... */ /* Split one of them back out of the join. */ res = ggiSplitInputs(inp, &inp2, GII_EV_ORIGIN_NONE, 0); if (res == 1) { gii_input_t tmp; tmp = imp2; imp2 = imp1; imp1 = tmp; } else if (res < 0) fprintf(stderr, "Failed to split inputs "); /* Close the single input */ giiClose(inp2); /* Close the joined input */ giiClose(inp); /* Now close down LibGII. */ giiExit(); SEE ALSO
giiInit(3) libgii-1.0.x 2006-12-30 giiOpen(3)