Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk to calculate date and show data Post 302926018 by shamrock on Thursday 20th of November 2014 07:25:36 PM
Old 11-20-2014
IMO you are better off using perl for this problem...the "entry_time" is given in seconds since the *nix Epoch...and if your awk can figure out the current Epoch then you'd be able to subtract the "now" Epoch from the "entry_time" Epoch and dole out the desired chunks to an output file.

perl comes with the date and time routines builtin...so if I were you I'd doing this in perl otherwise feel free to ignore this post...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to show yesterday date

HI all, i am a junior learner, can u teach me how to show yesterday time with unix command? thanks! Cloud (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wind_n_cloud
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculate the date of next satureday of current date.

I want to calculate the date of next satureday of current date using shell script. Suppose, today is 27-feb-08 I want to get the date of next satureday, which means 01-mar-08, in the formate '' YYMMDD ". I do this in ksh.. Please tell me any type of command which help me out. Thanks in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls how to not show date

Hello, I'm using ls -laR to print out a list of file and folders. I want to print only the permission, file size and file name. Also, excluding the '.' and '..'. result from ls -laR: total 6 drwxr-xr-x 8 user staff 512 Nov 28 16:17 . drwxr-x--- 16 user staff 1024... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: minifish
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculate the average of time series data using AWK

Hi, I have two time series data (below) merged into a file. t1 and t2 are in unit of second I want to calculate the average of V1 every second and count how many times "1" in V2 is occur within a second Input File: t1 V1 t2 V2 10.000000... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nica
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate data and make it into new column using awk

Hi everyone, just some simple question... i've been using a awk script to calculate my data... i have 3 files: file a1.txt: 2 3 4 5 3 4 file a2.txt: 4 5 6 7 8 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yat
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to show last month date?

Hi Guys, Please somebody give me a hand to show the Month & Year in assigning to a variable and with format "MMMYY" (i.e. Jul11). See below preferred output. I tried using this but it is giving me the current month... date = "`date +%b%y`" Aug11 DESIRED OUTPUT: Jul11 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinpe
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to rearrange data according to date

Hi, I have a large data frame as shown below, where data is separated into years. 10 May 2011 Created: 10 May 11 15:05 GMT Scale: SIO-2005 and others GC-MD, Cape Grim, Tasmania, Lat.: 40.68S, Lon.: 144.69E, Alt: 94m above sea level You can use the following format in Fortran to read data... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gd9629
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate date

Hello, i need calculate the day before in this format aammdd, for example if i have 110701 i need a script to return the value 110630. I only know what with this comand "date %y%m%d" return the date system. Sorry for my english, it is very bad, i know... Thank you very much Grettings! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xedrox
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate Julian date of a given date

How to get Julian date (Three digit) of a given date (Not current date)? I do not have root privilege - so can not use date -d. Assume that we have three variables year, month and date. Thx (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Soham
5 Replies

10. Linux

How to calculate the quarter end date according to the current date in shell script?

Hi, My question is how to calculate the quarter end date according to the current date in shell script? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Divya_1234
2 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)