Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Run Bash from Windows icon?
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Run Bash from Windows icon? Post 302925992 by gandolf989 on Thursday 20th of November 2014 03:34:36 PM
Old 11-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmccabe
I am not familiar with bat files or how to use them with cygwin. Thank you Smilie.
I would probably start with this link:
Code:
http://tinyurl.com/ov25zmk

Here is some untested sample code:
Code:
SET PATH=C:\Cygwin64\bin;%PATH%

tar -xvf /cygdrive/c/ExcelDatabaseFileBackups/dbbackup.tar  /cygdrive/c/ExcelDatabaseFiles/*
gzip /cygdrive/c/ExcelDatabaseFileBackups/dbbackup.tar 
rsync /cygdrive/c/ExcelDatabaseFileBackups/dbbackup.tar  //uncpath_to_server/dbbackup_share/*

you just need to learn the commands and start writing scripts.
Start with simple tasks and keep adding functionality.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run the scripts from windows to UNIX

HI, I have one java program in windows OS. From that java program, I want to run the shell script file in the UNIX OS. Is it possible ??If yes, please post me the source code, how to do that ?? Thanks, Srinivas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivas peyyal
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can I run unix in the same partition with windows?

Can I run unix in the same partition with windows xp? Because I have one for now.. Thank you for answers. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: olddays
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to make your bash script run on a machine with csh and bash

hi, i have a script that runs on bash and would like to run it on a machine that has csh and bash. the default setting on that machine is csh. i dont want to change my code to run it with a csh shell. is there any way i can run the script (written in bash) on this machine? in other words is there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SSH program to run on Windows

Hey, For a couple of months, I was using SecureCRT which was satisfying all my needs (keyboard-interactive, sftp ...). Its licence got expired and I no longer want to pay for it. Is there any SSH program other than Putty, u would suggest as free or less expensive with a user interface like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalliege
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

OS X: How to run script from Finder as icon

Hello, Running Mac OS X 10.6.8. I have this very simple script within a directory where I play (modify, compile, run) with some java code. When I'm finished I run this script to erase all the .java and .class files and copy clean versions from the subdirectory Backup. I can run this script by... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: HotPez
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run Cygwin bash from windows scheduled task?

Hmmm.... I love these forums because I always get great prompt responses and I want to ask a question about running bash on windows. Is that allowed? Now I know I can install cygwin cron and run bash that way. Can I run bash from windows schedule task? How? thanks siegfried (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siegfried
1 Replies

7. Debian

How to run windows application in Ubuntu?

HI ! all I have some model which works fine in windows 7 OS with matlab program I want to run all those from Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit OS. is there any provision to run windows applications? wine I tried, its not working, if any other available kindly explain the usage also Note : Dual boot ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run several bash commands put in bash command line?

How to run several bash commands put in bash command line without needing and requiring a script file. Because I'm actually a windows guy and new here so for illustration is sort of : $ bash "echo ${PATH} & echo have a nice day!" will do output, for example:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulbadii
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

C Shell script not run with Windows 10

Hi all, I have a script has been writing for Unix or Linux. Now I want to run under Windows 10. is give me Error: if:Badly formed number How to fix this please help *** This is a copy of a part of Script. set absolute_gap = 0 if ($min_p_to_p != "" && $min_p_to_p != "N/A" && $min_p_to_t... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dovo
5 Replies
FvwmWindowMenu(1)						   Fvwm Modules 						 FvwmWindowMenu(1)

NAME
FvwmWindowMenu - open configurable fvwm menu listing current windows SYNOPSIS
FvwmWindowMenu should be spawned by fvwm(1) for normal functionality. Run this module from your StartFunction: AddToFunc StartFunction + I Module FvwmWindowMenu DESCRIPTION
A substitute for fvwm builtin WindowList, but written in Perl and easy to customize. Unlike FvwmIconMan or FvwmWinList the module does not draw its own window, but instead creates an fvwm menu and asks fvwm to pop it up. By defining a set of regular expressions, windows may be sorted into sections based on a regexp matching the window name, class or resource and included in the menu. Similarly, another set of regular expressions can be used to exclude items from the menu. Any windows not matching an instance of the include or exclude list will be placed in the last section of the menu. USAGE
Run the module, supposedly from StartFunction in .fvwm2rc: Module FvwmWindowMenu To actually invoke the menu add something like: Key Menu A N SendToModule FvwmWindowMenu Post Root c c SelectOnRelease Menu or: Mouse 2 A N SendToModule FvwmWindowMenu Popup The additional parameters are any valid Menu command parameters without a menu name, see fvwm. Recognized actions are Post (or its alias Menu) and Popup, they create fvwm menus and invoke them using the corresponding commands Menu and Popup. If the module was started with "-g" switch, it additionally supports PostBar (not implemented yet). Set module options for windows to include (Show) or exclude (DontShow). The syntax is: *FvwmWindowMenu: ShowName pattern *FvwmWindowMenu: ShowClass pattern *FvwmWindowMenu: ShowResource pattern *FvwmWindowMenu: DontShowName pattern *FvwmWindowMenu: DontShowClass pattern *FvwmWindowMenu: DontShowResource pattern Pattern is a perl regular expression that will be evaluated in m// context. See perlre(1). For example: *FvwmWindowMenu: ShowResource ^gvim *FvwmWindowMenu: ShowName Galeon|Navigator|mozilla-bin|Firefox will define two sections containing respectively browsers, and GVim. A third section will contain all other windows. To only include matching windows, add: *FvwmWindowMenu: DontShowName .* Similarly: *FvwmWindowMenu: DontShowName ^Fvwm *FvwmWindowMenu: DontShowClass Gkrellm will cause the menu to ignore windows with name beginning with Fvwm or class gkrellm. Other options: *FvwmWindowMenu: OnlyIconified {on|off} show only iconified windows *FvwmWindowMenu: AllDesks {on|off} show windows from all desks *FvwmWindowMenu: AllPages {on|off} show windows from all pages *FvwmWindowMenu: MaxLen 32 max length in chars of entry *FvwmWindowMenu: MenuName MyMenu name of menu to popup *FvwmWindowMenu: MenuStyle MyMenuStyle name of MenuStyle to apply *FvwmWindowMenu: Debug {0,1,2,3} level of debug info output, 0 means no debug *FvwmWindowMenu: Function MyWindowListFunc function to invoke on menu entries; defaults to WindowListFunc *FvwmWindowMenu: ItemFormat formatstring how to format menu entries; substitutions are made as follows: %n, %i, %c, %r the window name, icon name, class or resource %x, %y the window x or y coordinates w.r.t. the page the window is on. %X, %Y the window x or y coordinates w.r.t. the desk the window is on. %d the window desk number %m the window's mini-icon %M the window's mini-icon only for iconified windows, otherwise empty %t a tab %% a literal % The format string must be quoted. The default string is "%m%n%t%t(+%x+%y) - Desk %d". MORE EXAMPLES
Fancy binding of the window menu to the right windows key on some keyboards. Hold this button while navigating using cursor keys, then release it. CopyMenuStyle * WindowMenu MenuStyle WindowMenu SelectOnRelease Super_R *FvwmWindowMenu: MenuStyle WindowMenu AddToFunc StartFunction I Module FvwmWindowMenu Key Super_R A A SendToModule FvwmWindowMenu Post Root c c WarpTitle AUTHORS
Ric Lister <http://cns.georgetown.edu/~ric/> Scott Smedley Mikhael Goikhman perl v5.8.3 2004-06-29 FvwmWindowMenu(1)