Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Control Characters
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Control Characters Post 302925976 by wisecracker on Thursday 20th of November 2014 01:27:59 PM
Old 11-20-2014
Basic longhand example, OSX 10.7.5, default bash terminal.
This has its limitations but is simple and a starting point.
Code:
Last login: Thu Nov 20 18:22:55 on ttys000
AMIGA:barrywalker~> line="lkasdlkjalskdj@lkdfklksdflksj123$"
AMIGA:barrywalker~> line="${line:0:$((${#line}-1))}"
AMIGA:barrywalker~> echo "$line"
lkasdlkjalskdj@lkdfklksdflksj123
AMIGA:barrywalker~> _

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

printing control characters

using c-shell, does anyone know how to send control characters to the printer before the job? I need to set a printer to print in condensed mode HELP (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mglinsk
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getting rid of control characters

how can i get rid of the control characters , ex. ^M, ^G, in a file? thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove control characters

Hi, When I do a man and save it into a file, I end up getting a lot of control characters. How can I remove them?? I tried this: /1,$ s/^H//g But I get an error saying "no previous regular expression". Can someone help me with this. Thanks, Aravind (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravind_mg
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to replace control characters using sed?

How can I use sed to replace a ctrl character such as 'new line' (\0a) to something else? Or any other good command can do this job? Thanks, Hillxy (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hillxy
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

screen control characters

Hi, Can anyone help me with controlling the cursor position from a shell script. Things like moving left,right,up,down etc Anyone have any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajcannon
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent : Control Characters

Can somebody please help me with the query. ? I want a part of program of which should look for control characters in the flat file , when it finds it, displaying message that Control Characters found..! Please help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iamnoone
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control Characters

Can somebody please help me with the query. ? I want a part of program of which should look for control characters in the flat file , when it finds it, displaying message that Control Characters found..! Please help me (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamnoone
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control characters -weird problem

I am using Korn shell on Linux 2.6x platform , and I am suing the following code to capture the lines which contain CONTROL CHARACTERS in my file : awk '/]/ {print NR}' EROLLMENT_INPUT.txt The problem is that this code shows the file has control characters when the file is in folder A ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Control characters in UNIX

Hi, My files are showing some control characters in vi editor ^M ^@ and somtimes ^H I removed ^M with %s/^M//g command but how to represent ^@ and ^H e.g. for ^M it is hold ctrl then v and m.. Please help.. I am very new to unix.. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabhat.diwaker
7 Replies
ttk_image(n)							 Tk Themed Widget						      ttk_image(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
ttk_image - Define an element based on an image SYNOPSIS
ttk::style element create name image imageSpec ?options? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The image element factory creates a new element in the current theme whose visual appearance is determined by Tk images. imageSpec is a list of one or more elements. The first element is the default image name. The rest of the list is a sequence of statespec / value pairs specifying other images to use when the element is in a particular state or combination of states. OPTIONS
Valid options are: -border padding padding is a list of up to four integers, specifying the left, top, right, and bottom borders, respectively. See IMAGE STRETCHING, below. -height height Specifies a minimum height for the element. If less than zero, the base image's height is used as a default. -padding padding Specifies the element's interior padding. Defaults to -border if not specified. -sticky spec Specifies how the image is placed within the final parcel. spec contains zero or more characters "n", "s", "w", or "e". -width width Specifies a minimum width for the element. If less than zero, the base image's width is used as a default. IMAGE STRETCHING
If the element's allocated parcel is larger than the image, the image will be placed in the parcel based on the -sticky option. If the image needs to stretch horizontally (i.e., -sticky ew) or vertically (-sticky ns), subregions of the image are replicated to fill the par- cel based on the -border option. The -border divides the image into 9 regions: four fixed corners, top and left edges (which may be tiled horizontally), left and right edges (which may be tiled vertically), and the central area (which may be tiled in both directions). EXAMPLE
set img1 [image create photo -file button.png] set img2 [image create photo -file button-pressed.png] set img3 [image create photo -file button-active.png] style element create Button.button image [list $img1 pressed $img2 active $img3] -border {2 4} -sticky we SEE ALSO
ttk::intro(n), ttk::style(n), ttk_vsapi(n), image(n), photo(n) KEYWORDS
style, theme, appearance, pixmap theme, image Tk 8.5 ttk_image(n)