Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Count words from file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count words from file Post 302925952 by vbe on Thursday 20th of November 2014 11:10:28 AM
Old 11-20-2014
Please no more posts till user has replied to the asked question
Thanks for your understanding

Last edited by vbe; 11-20-2014 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: typo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count words on each line in file using xargs

Hi, im having a problem with xargs, i want to cout word of each line in file, and i HAVE to use xargs, i tried: cat file | xargs wc -w .....that uses all words in file like name of files and passed then to wc so it worte wc :somewordformfile is not i afile or directory cat file | xargs -I{} wc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Qwetek
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count words

Hi, does anyone know the command to count words by its length. I need to Count the number of five letter words that I have in a file with thousand of words. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fabioamaury
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in counting the no of repeated words with count in a file

Hi Pls help in solving my doubt.Iam having file like below file1.txt priya jenny jenny priya raj radhika priya bharti bharti Output required: I need a output like count of repeated words with name for ex: priya 3 jenny 2 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bha148
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find out words, replace them and count words

hello, i 'd like your help about a bash script which: 1. finds inside the html file (it is attached with my post) the code number of the Latest Stable Kernel, 2.finds the link which leads to the download location of the Latest Stable Kernel version, (the right link should lead to the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex83
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of words in some subset of file and disregard others

Hi All, I have some 6000 text files in a directory. My files are named like 1.txt, 2.txt 3.txt and so on until 6000.txt. I want to count the "number of words" in only first 3000 of them. Any suggestions? I know wc -w can count the number of words in a text file. I am using Red Hat Linux. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

count frequency of words in a file

I need to write a shell script "cmn" that, given an integer k, print the k most common words in descending order of frequency. Example Usage: user@ubuntu:/$ cmn 4 < example.txt :b: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohit_iitk
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem to count number of words from file

hi every one i have written this simple shell for counting number of word that user need to find from file but i have get several error when run it. can someone tell me the problem ? echo "Enter the file name" read file echo "enter word" read word for i in \`cat $file` do if then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nimafire
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How count the number of two words associated with the two words occurring in the file?

Hi , I need to count the number of errors associated with the two words occurring in the file. It's about counting the occurrences of the word "error" for where is the word "index.js". As such the command should look like. Please kindly help. I was trying: grep "error" log.txt | wc -l (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jmarx
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count dynamic words in file

Hello, i want built a log analyzer for nginx. Okay and i use it as training for the shell tools. The most what i want i could relize. But i has trouble with dynamic things. I have the IP address extracted and has set the geo localtion for the ip. I would like to count the countries. With... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sisihagen
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

View a file and count all words beginning with specificletter

I am trying to write a command and need to count all the words within the file which begin with the letter S I have run this command $ grep '^' TheAgileApproach.dat | wc -l 0 $ grep '^' TheAgileApproach.dat | wc -l 1 When I remove the wc -l I see the output as below: $ grep '^'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpsa27
7 Replies
ns_filter(3aolserver)					    AOLserver Built-In Commands 				     ns_filter(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
ns_register_filter, ns_register_proc, ns_register_trace - Register a filter, proc or trace callback SYNOPSIS
ns_register_filter option ?arg arg ...? ns_register_proc option ?arg arg ...? ns_register_trace option ?arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
ns_register_filter: Registers a Tcl filter script for the specified method/URL combination on a virtual server. The script can be called at one or more of three given times: pre-authorization, post-authorization before page data has been returned to the user, and after the connection has been processed and closed. This function will be called at the specified stage of a connection, if the method/URL combination for the filter matches the method/URL combination for the connection using glob style matching. The URLpattern can contain standard string-matching characters. For example, these are valid URL patterns: /employees/*.tcl /accounts/*/out Valid values for the "when" argument are: preauth, postauth, and trace. Using pre-authorization, the procedure will be called (assuming that the method/URL combination matches) just before authorization. If the procedure returns with a code of: TCL_OK (using: return "filter_ok"): The server will continue to the next pre-authorization filter for this connection, or, if there are no more pre-authorization filters, it will continue on with authorization. TCL_BREAK (using: return "filter_break"): The server will not process any more pre-authorization filters for this connection, and it will continue on with authorization. TCL_RETURN (using: return "filter_return"): The server will close the connection and will not run any more pre-authorization filters. It will not authorize the request, and it will not run the function registered for this METHOD/URL. It WILL run any trace func- tions registered for this METHOD/URL, usually including logging. It is assumed that the filter has sent a proper response (e.g., using ns_return) to the client before returning TCL_RETURN. Using post-authorization, the procedure will be called (assuming that the method/URL combination matches) just after successful authoriza- tion. If the procedure returns: TCL_OK (using: return "filter_ok"): The server will continue to the next post-authorization filter for this connection, or, if there are no more post-authorization filters, it will run the function registered to handle this request. TCL_BREAK (using: return "filter_break"): The server will not process any more post-authorization filters for this connection, and it will run the function registered to handle this request. TCL_RETURN (using: return "filter_return"): The server will close the connection and will not run any more post-authorization filters and it will not run the function registered for this METHOD/URL. It WILL run any trace functions registered for this METHOD/URL, usually including logging. It is assumed that the filter has returned a proper response (e.g., using ns_return) to the client before returning TCL_RETURN. Using trace, the procedure will be called (assuming that the method/URL combination match) after the connection has been totally processed and closed. If the procedure returns: TCL_OK (using: return "filter_ok"): The server will continue to the next trace filter. TCL_BREAK (using: return "filter_break"): The rest of the trace filters are ignored. TCL_RETURN (using: return "filter_break"): The rest of the trace filters are ignored. Syntax for the registered procedure: The conn (connection) argument is optional for procedures registered by ns_register_filter if the procedure has 1 or 2 arguments (including why but not including conn). The following examples show the variations that can be used in this case: ns_register_filter trace GET /noargs filter_noargs ns_register_filter trace GET /context filter_context fnord ns_register_filter trace GET /conncontext filter_conncontext proc filter_noargs { why } { ns_log Notice "filter noargs" return filter_ok } ;# filter_noargs proc filter_context { arg why } { ns_log Notice "filter context. Arg: $arg" return filter_ok } ;# filter_noargs proc filter_conncontext { conn arg why } { ns_log Notice "filter conn context" return filter_ok } ;# filter_noargs The conn (connection) argument is required for procedures registered by ns_register_filter if the procedure has 3 or more arguments (including why but not including conn). The conn argument is automatically filled with the connection information. The first argument fol- lowing conn will always take the value supplied by ns_register_filter, if there is one, or an empty value. The why argument at the end is automatically filled with the type of filter requested. All other arguments must supply a default value. The following examples show the variations that can be used in this case: ns_register_filter postauth GET /threeargs threeargs aaa ns_register_filter postauth GET /fourargs fourargs aaa bbb ccc proc threeargs { conn context { greeble bork } why } { ... } ; proc fourargs { conn context { greeble bork } {hoover quark} why } { ... } ; When a GET of /threeargs is requested, the conn and why arguments will be filled automatically, the context argument will be assigned "aaa" and the greeble argument will be assigned the default value "bork". When a GET of /fourargs is requested, the conn and why arguments will be filled automatically, the context argument will be assigned "aaa", the greeble argument will be assigned "bbb", and the hoover argument will be assigned the default value "quark". ns_register_trace: Register a Tcl trace script to a method and matching URL. (Note: This function is obsolete. Use ns_register_filter instead.) ns_register_trace registers a Tcl script as a trace for the specified method/URL combination. After the server handles the request for the specified method on an URL that matches the URLpattern, it calls the trace script with the connection id and any arguments (args) speci- fied. The URLpattern can contain standard string-matching characters. For example, these are valid URLpatterns: /employees/*.tcl /accounts/*/out Note ns_register_trace is similar to ns_register_proc except that the pattern-matching for the URL is performed differently. With ns_regis- ter_proc, the specified URL is used to match that URL and any URL below it in the hierarchy. Wildcards such as "*" are meaningful only for the final part of the URL, such as /scripts/*.tcl. With ns_register_trace, the URLpattern is used to match URLs as a string with standard string-matching characters. ns_register_proc results in a single match, whereas multiple ns_register_trace's can be matched and will be called. SEE ALSO
ns_register_proc(n), ns_register_tag(n), ns_register_adptag(n) KEYWORDS
AOLserver 4.0 ns_filter(3aolserver)