Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Command to compress a file
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Command to compress a file Post 302925926 by sea on Thursday 20th of November 2014 08:53:57 AM
Old 11-20-2014
2 Examples, of which each:
1. line will archieve/compress all files in current dir.
2. line will extract the archieve to current dir.

Code:
tar -acf tarball.tar.gz *
tar -axf tarball.tar.gz

gzip *
gunzip *gz

NOTE: g(un)zip will actualy change the file, and not create a new file which is (un-)compressed!

Hope this helps

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cpio command with compress

Hi friends.. I want to be able to copy a file from one location to another (locally). The location the files are copied to should have compressed instances of the files they were copied from. copy from /home/user/test.file copy to /backup/user/test.file.Z I need to be able to do this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar command with compress option...

Hi ! i have to write a script that archivs homes not used since 3 years. First, my script gathers the users that are concerned, using the following command : ll -lt /home/*/.sh_history | egrep '2000|1999|1998|1997' | awk '{print $3}' i obtain a list like this : user_1 user_2 ...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomapam
3 Replies

3. SCO

Help on compress command

Hello. Can any1 help me with the compress command. The -b option takes the number of bits used for encoding. can u expalin why this number of bits is used and for what purpose. what is the maximum number we can provide? In SFU these number has a valod range between 12 and 16 y?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
1 Replies

4. Linux

lp command with compress mode

I want to know whether lp command is having option for setting compess mode in linux.Is it possible to pass escape characters to lp command to set printing in compress mode. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zita
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compress command

compress /var/opt/l2/amer/art2/USFINUM0200_.CSV compress /var/opt/l2/amer/art2/USFINUM200_.CSV compress /var/opt/l2/amer/art2/USFINUM020_.CSV compress /var/opt/l2/amer/art2/USFINUM20_.CSV Is there a way to shorten this or write it in a script. The file to be compressed will be USFINUM but... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: indira
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

combining mv and compress command

Hi All, I have a file in DirA/ABC.out a need to move to DirB.I am using the following steps now: mv DirA/ABC.out DirB compress -f DirB/ABC.out Is there a way to just do this one step as I have to move hundreds of files every hour. -Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_78_nyc
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy Compress as one command

Hi, I need to copy and compress files in a directory in single line of command. I am able to copy and gzip files in one command but not directory. Command that I am using for copying directory is below : cp -rp /u01/app/<directory> /u01/app/backup |gzip -r /u01/app/backup/<directory> ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: findprakash
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue: Compress in unix server and FTP to windows and open the compress file using Winzip

Hi All ! We have to compress a big data file in unix server and transfer it to windows and uncompress it using winzip in windows. I have used the utility ZIP like the below. zip -e <newfilename> df2_test_extract.dat but when I compress files greater than 4 gb using zip utility, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compress the file using Tar command

Hi, When i am tar the file particular ,csv file format in a folder i am receiving the error Command: tar cf New_data.tar /new/file/mari/getdata/small/*.xml Arguements too long But sometimes i am able to compress other folder but the tar folder contains all the file format and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: marivinay
10 Replies

10. Red Hat

Does RHEL 5 provide a command to collect RHEL system log in single compress file?

Hi, I heard a command that can collect all RHEL 5 log in a single compress file before I forget. Does any body know...What the command is ? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnnnnnine
4 Replies
PRISTINE-TAR(1) 						   pristine-tar 						   PRISTINE-TAR(1)

NAME
pristine-tar - regenerate pristine tarballs SYNOPSIS
pristine-tar [-vdk] gendelta tarball delta pristine-tar [-vdk] gentar delta tarball pristine-tar [-vdk] [-m message] commit tarball [upstream] pristine-tar [-vdk] checkout tarball pristine-tar [-vdk] list DESCRIPTION
pristine-tar can regenerate an exact copy of a pristine upstream tarball using only a small binary delta file and the contents of the tarball, which are typically kept in an upstream branch in version control. The delta file is designed to be checked into version control along-side the upstream branch, thus allowing Debian packages to be built entirely using sources in version control, without the need to keep copies of upstream tarballs. pristine-tar supports compressed tarballs, calling out to pristine-gz(1), pristine-bz2(1), and pristine-xz(1) to produce the pristine gzip, bzip2, and xz files. COMMANDS
pristine-tar gendelta tarball delta This takes the specified upstream tarball, and generates a small binary delta file that can later be used by pristine-tar gentar to recreate the tarball. If the delta filename is "-", it is written to standard output. pristine-tar gentar delta tarball This takes the specified delta file, and the files in the current directory, which must have identical content to those in the upstream tarball, and uses these to regenerate the pristine upstream tarball. If the delta filename is "-", it is read from standard input. pristine-tar commit tarball [upstream] pristine-tar commit generates a pristine-tar delta file for the specified tarball, and commits it to version control. The pristine-tar checkout command can later be used to recreate the original tarball based only on the information stored in version control. The upstream parameter specifies the tag or branch that contains the same content that is present in the tarball. This defaults to "refs/heads/upstream", or if there's no such branch, any branch matching "upstream". The name of the tree it points to will be recorded for later use by pristine-tar checkout. Note that the content does not need to be 100% identical to the content of the tarball, but if it is not, additional space will be used in the delta file. The delta files are stored in a branch named "pristine-tar", with filenames corresponding to the input tarball, with ".delta" appended. This branch is created or updated as needed to add each new delta. pristine-tar checkout tarball This regenerates a copy of the specified tarball using information previously saved in version control by pristine-tar commit. pristine-tar list This lists tarballs that pristine-tar is able to checkout from version control. OPTIONS
-v --verbose Verbose mode, show each command that is run. -d --debug Debug mode. -k --keep Don't clean up the temporary directory on exit. -m message --message=message Use this option to specify a custom commit message to pristine-tar commit. EXAMPLES
Suppose you maintain the hello package, in a git repository. You have just created a tarball of the release, hello-1.0.tar.gz, which you will upload to a "forge" site. You want to ensure that, if the "forge" loses the tarball, you can always recreate exactly that same tarball. And you'd prefer not to keep copies of tarballs for every release, as that could use a lot of disk space when hello gets the background mp3s and user-contributed levels you are planning for version 2.0. The solution is to use pristine-tar to commit a delta file that efficiently stores enough information to reproduce the tarball later. cd hello git tag -s 1.0 pristine-tar commit ../hello-1.0.tar.gz 1.0 Remember to tell git to push both the pristine-tar branch, and your tag: git push --all --tags Now it is a year later. The worst has come to pass; the "forge" lost all its data, you deleted the tarballs to make room for bug report emails, and you want to regenerate them. Happily, the git repository is still available. git clone git://github.com/joeyh/hello.git cd hello pristine-tar checkout ../hello-1.0.tar.gz LIMITATIONS
Only tarballs, gzipped tarballs, bzip2ed tarballs, and xzed tarballs are currently supported. Currently only the git revision control system is supported by the "checkout" and "commit" commands. It's ok if the working copy is not clean or has uncommitted changes, or has changes staged in the index; none of that will be touched by "checkout" or "commit". ENVIRONMENT
TMPDIR Specifies a location to place temporary files, other than the default. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> Licensed under the GPL, version 2 or above. perl v5.14.2 2013-06-01 PRISTINE-TAR(1)