Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Need a Shell Script for FTP
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need a Shell Script for FTP Post 302925843 by Corona688 on Wednesday 19th of November 2014 02:50:34 PM
Old 11-19-2014
Found my mistake.

Code:
exec >/tmp/log
exec 2>&1  
  HOST=''
  ftpuser=''
  ftppass=''
  NOW=$(date +"%m-%d-%Y")
  FILE="XXXX.$(date +%y%m%d)"
if ! mkdir /tmp/$$
then
        echo "Couldn't create /tmp/$$" >&2
        exit 1
fi

echo "Storing into /tmp/$$" >&2

SrcDir="FTP"
DstDi='/tmp/'

trap "rm -Rf /tmp/$$" EXIT # Clean up temp folder when the script quits by any means

# Check if you can connect.
ftp -nvd $HOST <<EOF
quote user $ftpuser
quote pass $ftppass
hash
prompt off
ls
EOF

if [ "$?" -ne 0 ]
then
        echo "Couldn't connect" >&2
        exit
fi

# Get the remote file
ftp -nvd $HOST <<EOF
quote USER $ftpuser 
quote PASS $ftppass
hash
prompt off
lcd /tmp/$$
bin
get $FILE
bye
EOF

if [ "$?" -ne 0 ]
then
        echo "Couldn't retrieve $FILE" >&2
        exit
fi

OLDIFS="$IFS" # Special IFS variable controls splitting of unquoted variables
IFS="/"

for FILE in /tmp/$$/*
do
        if [ ! -f "$FILE" ]
        then
                echo "No files retrieved" >&2
                exit 1
        fi

set -- $FILE        # Splits /path/to/file into $1="", $2="path", $3="to", $4="file"
        shift $(( $# - 1 )) # $1="file", all the rest disappears

if [ $(wc -c < "${DstDi}/$1" ) -ne $(wc -c < "/tmp/$$/$1" ) ]
        then
                echo "Sizes of original and new file differ" >&2
                exit
        fi
done

IFS="$OLDIFS"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using ftp in a shell script.

I am trying to ftp some files from a certain directory, but i got an invalid command. does anybody know why i got this error? ftp -v -i -n <<SCRIPT open servername user username password cd /server/logs for file in MCWAS* do put ${file} /home/test/${file} done bye SCRIPT (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: caesarkim
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp in shell script

Hi, I have to ftp to a remote machine. i have got the Ip, username and password and the file path.. I need to get the file name with out user intervention in my script.. is there any way to do this.. please help esham (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: esham
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script for ftp

Hi ,, I am wrting a shell script to ftp a file from remote server but its giving some problem to me.can you help me in debugging this. #!/usr/bin/ksh HOST="some ip" user="user_name" passwd="password" ftp -n $HOST >>END_SCRIPT USER $user $passwd binary prompt get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP via shell script

Hi, I need to upload a file via ftp. I have given : ftp -n $HOST <<END quote user $USER quote pass $PASSWD prompt off put bus.txt quit END Its throwing a syntax error at "<<" symbol. What should be done for this ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: risshanth
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp with shell script

Can I ftp to put file with shell script(as bath file) ? Plz give the simple code to do that. My script look like that #!/bin/sh echo "Start ftp" ftp temphost <<EOF put file quit EOF # end This code ignore username & password but I need to input. How to input username &... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aungomarin
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP in shell script

HI ALL i am writing a shell script in which i have to use FTP command like. FTP <ip address> cd xyz mget* bye but i am not able to perform any command from shell script. once the control goes to FTP, i again have to type all the things. i just want my shell script to take care of the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Shell script for FTP

#!/usr/bin/ksh export filename=/grid/PowerCenter/inbound/AT/filelist.txt export SOURCE_DIR=/grid/PowerCenter/inbound/AT export ICOMS_FTP_TGT_DIR1=/dw/input/ATU/ICOM_SERV1 export ICOMS_FTP_TGT_DIR2=/dw/input/AT/ICOM_SERV2 export FILE_MASK="ATRPU_RP_ATU" echo "start" ftp_data_file() { ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsmeruga
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP within a SHELL script

I am running the following on linux (on a mac): filename="/Users/thisfilename.txt" hostname="ftp.mysite.com" username="myusername" password="mypassword" echo '=======FTP========' ftp -un $hostname <<EOF quote USER $username quote PASS $password binary put $filename quit EOF I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: globalnerds
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help With FTP Shell Script

So i Administer multiple ftp servers that run on dynamic IP's as well as user and password settings are changed by other people constantly. What i need to do is ensure that an FTP is server is up on the IP i check. As well as the login credentials work. Here is a simple script i wrote. However... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Noledge
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP in Shell Script

Dear All, I am using FTP in a script. But when i exit from the FTP session, the commands written after EOF don't get executed. i.e. ftp <<EOF quote $login quote $password cd /tmp mget *somefile* bye EOF echo $some_variable #This last echo command or whatever piece of commands i... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Salman786
10 Replies
mktemp(1)							   User Commands							 mktemp(1)

NAME
mktemp - make temporary filename SYNOPSIS
mktemp [-dtqu] [-p directory] [template] DESCRIPTION
The mktemp utility makes a temporary filename. To do this, mktemp takes the specified filename template and overwrites a portion of it to create a unique filename. See OPERANDS. The template is passed to mkdtemp(3C) for directories or mkstemp(3C) for ordinary files. If mktemp can successfully generate a unique filename, the file (or directory) is created with file permissions such that it is only read- able and writable by its owner (unless the -u flag is given) and the filename is printed to standard output. mktemp allows shell scripts to safely use temporary files. Traditionally, many shell scripts take the name of the program with the PID as a suffix and used that as a temporary filename. This kind of naming scheme is predictable and the race condition it creates is easy for an attacker to win. A safer, though still inferior approach is to make a temporary directory using the same naming scheme. While this guaran- tees that a temporary file is not subverted, it still allows a simple denial of service attack. Use mktemp instead. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Make a directory instead of a file. -p directory Use the specified directory as a prefix when generating the temporary filename. The directory is overridden by the user's TMPDIR environment variable if it is set. This option implies the -t flag. -q Fail silently if an error occurs. This is useful if a script does not want error output to go to standard error. -t Generate a path rooted in a temporary directory. This directory is chosen as follows: If the user's TMPDIR environment variable is set, the directory contained therein is used. Otherwise, if the -p flag was given the specified directory is used. If none of the above apply, /tmp is used. In this mode, the template (if specified) should be a directory component (as opposed to a full path) and thus should not contain any forward slashes. -u Operate in unsafe mode. The temp file is unlinked before mktemp exits. This is slightly better than mktemp(3C), but still introduces a race condition. Use of this option is discouraged. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: template template can be any filename with one or more Xs appended to it, for example /tmp/tfile.XXXXXX. If template is not specified, a default of tmp.XXXXXX is used and the -t flag is implied. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Using mktemp The following example illustrates a simple use of mktemp in a sh(1) script. In this example, the script quits if it cannot get a safe tem- porary file. TMPFILE=`mktemp /tmp/example.XXXXXX` if [ -z "$TMPFILE" ]; then exit 1; fi echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE Example 2 Using mktemp to Support TMPDIR The following example uses mktemp to support for a user's TMPDIR environment variable: TMPFILE=`mktemp -t example.XXXXXX` if [ -z "$TMPFILE" ]; then exit 1; fi echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE Example 3 Using mktemp Without Specifying the Name of the Temporary File The following example uses mktemp without specifying the name of the temporary file. In this case the -t flag is implied. TMPFILE=`mktemp` if [ -z "$TMPFILE" ]; then exit 1; fi echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE Example 4 Using mktemp with a Default Temporary Directory Other than /tmp The following example creates the temporary file in /extra/tmp unless the user's TMPDIR environment variable specifies otherwise: TMPFILE=`mktemp -p /extra/tmp example.XXXXX` if [ -z "$TMPFILE" ]; then exit 1; fi echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE Example 5 Using mktemp to Remove a File The following example attempts to create two temporary files. If creation of the second temporary file fails, mktemp removes the first file before exiting: TMP1=`mktemp -t example.1.XXXXXX` if [ -z "$TMP1" ]; then exit 1; fi TMP2=`mktemp -t example.2.XXXXXX` if [ -z "$TMP2" ]; then rm -f $TMP1 exit 1 fi Example 6 Using mktemp The following example does not exit if mktemp is unable to create the file. That part of the script has been protected. TMPFILE=`mktemp -q -t example.XXXXXX` if [ ! -z "$TMPFILE" ] then # Safe to use $TMPFILE in this block echo data > $TMPFILE ... rm -f $TMPFILE fi ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of mktemp with the -t option: TMPDIR. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), mkdtemp(3C), mkstemp(3C), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
The mktemp utility appeared in OpenBSD 2.1. The Solaris implementation uses only as many `Xs' as are significant for mktemp(3C) and mkstemp(3C). SunOS 5.11 10 Jan 2008 mktemp(1)