Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking DNS SOA Question in regards to @ Post 302925686 by Lost in Cyberia on Tuesday 18th of November 2014 02:08:13 PM
Old 11-18-2014
DNS SOA Question in regards to @

Okay, I have a question guys... I was given a task to set up a DNS slave server, in addition to our already set up BIND DNS master server. I looked over the one of the zone files, and found something curious. The starting SOA line, reads as:

@ IN SOA @ root ( ...etc...etc..)

I'm a bit confused as to the meaning of the @ symbols. The first @ symbol can replace the $origin term I know, but there is no $origin variable declared in the file The only thing that comes before the SOA is the TTL.

So I"m baffled as to what the @ could possibly do or if it can substituted for anything else, without explicitly saying it. Because I see no declarations in the zone file.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Secondary DNS question

I have the primary set up, but cannot get the secondary box to answer a query. Here is the message I get: > nslookup dfwnet1 10.26.38.41 *** Can't find server name for address 10.26.38.41: Non-existent host/domain *** Default servers are not available 10.26.38.41 is the IP of the secondary... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DNS/BIND question, is it ze germans?

First some back ground info: I am working on a computer running SuSE 7.3 I am still trying to set up a DNS I downloaded BIND 9.2.1 and was following a tutorial about BIND. It said at virtually the start of the tutorial that I should find a file called named.conf in my /etc directory. Yes, I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ignus7
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

DNS question

I manage the mail server (mail.ourcompany.com) at my company. We provide mail services to a number of clients. Today CompanyA calls in and reports that CompanyB tried to send them an email, but they never recieved it. According to CompanyB, the mail left there outbox. The two addresses... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phaze1
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

DNS question

The company I work for has me setting up a bind server, this part I am having no issues with my question is we host 2 web-sites on one box using virtual domains in apache. The CEO of the company want it so that he can type this in http://*****.com http://*****.net Instead of ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Acleoma
7 Replies

5. IP Networking

Question on DNS/BIND

I have set up a BIND server running on Redhat AS 3.0 and the question I have is that I can point my laptop to that server and resolve all the hosts I have put in my .zone file but for the life of me I can resolve any outside information. I have verified the server can talk to the world. Any hints... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Acleoma
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS Question

I am new to bind, but I have it installed and working, well I think. I am not getting any errors, but my question is. Lets say I have movie.com, and mov.com, with the same in-addr-arpa zone(10.10.0.0) Is this a problem? movie.com is our main zone and we are trying to get rid of clients that are... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rickyt00
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Named (DNS Name Server) question

As suggested by the forum I'm posting in, I'm very new at this, so bear with me please. I'm using a Virtual Dedicated server (Linux) from GoDaddy and using Simple Control Panel. A few days ago, the sites running off of it stopped working, and I did manage to troubleshoot it to some extent where... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KevenM
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DNS Question

I am trying to make a website work without having to type www. If I type www with the sitename it works. But if I type just the site name without the www, it does not work. How do I fix this? Thank you for your help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: German Shepherd
3 Replies

9. IP Networking

DNS dummy question

Hello everyone, I have a some doubt about DNS. We have connected to 2 ISPs /ISP#1 and ISP#2/. Our web site's dns zone is located on ISP#1. If connection to ISP#1 is down clients won't find our website. ISP#1 connection went down few times this month. So we are going to create our website's... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sembii
0 Replies
named(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  named(8)

Name
       named - Internet name domain server daemon

Syntax
       /usr/etc/named [ -d level# ] [ -p port# ] [ -b bootfile ][ -n ][ -a type.version ]

Description
       The daemon is the Internet domain name server for the BIND/Hesiod service.  Without any arguments, reads the default boot file and any ini-
       tial data from the BIND/Hesiod data base files.	then listens for queries.

The boot file specifies where the BIND/Hesiod server is to get its initial data.  See the Example section.

The master data files consist of entries of the following form:
       $include file
       $origin domain
       domain ttl addr-class entry-type resource-record-data
       The entry is useful for separating data into separate files.  The entry is useful for placing more than one domain in a data file.  It  can
       also be used to set the reverse network number origin.  The fields are:

file	    This is the name of the file to be included.

domain	    This  is  the  domain  name.  An at sign (@) signifies the current origin.	A name refers to the standard domain name.  If the
		    domain name does not end with a period, the current origin is appended to the domain.  A domain name ending with a	period	is
		    the complete BIND domain name (fully qualified) and thus does not get an extension appended to it.

ttl	    This  field is an optional integer specifying the time to live.  If no time to live is specified, the default is obtained from
		    the SOA entry.

addr-class   This field is the object class type.  There are three classes:

IN	       Objects connected to the DARPA Internet

HS	       Hesiod naming service data

ANY        All classes

entry-type   The most common entries for this field are listed below.  The field, however, must correspond with the entry type:

A	       Host address

CNAME      Canonical name for an alias

HINFO      Host information

MX	       Mail exchanger

NS	       Authoritative name server

PTR        Domain name pointer

SOA        Start of a zone of authority

TXT        Hesiod text

WKS        Well-known service description

The following signals have the specified effect when sent to the server process using the command:

SIGXFSZ	    Causes the server to reload only the databases that have changed.

SIGHUP	    Causes the server to read and reload database.

SIGINT	    Dumps the current data base and cache to

SIGIOT	    Dumps statistics to

SIGUSR1	    Turns on debugging.  Each time the SIGUSR1 signal is issued, the debug level increments  by  one.	Debugging  information	is
		    dumped to

SIGUSR2	    Turns off debugging.

Options
       -b bootfile  Names of the boot file.  If no boot file is specified, the default is

-d level#    Prints  debugging  information.   A number after the -d option determines the level of messages printed.  It is a good idea to
		    run the daemon with the -d option in the background.

-p port#     Specifies the port number.	The default is the standard port number listed in the file.

-n	    Runs in network safe mode.	All HS class queries sent over the network are authenticated.  Non-authenticated  queries  for	HS
		    information from hosts other than local host are not answered.  Non-authenticated requests for zone transfers are ignored.

-a type.version
		    Specifies  the  default authentication type.  When authenticated queries are formed, needs to know what type of authentication
		    to use.  The type parameter specifies the form of authentication.  The version parameter specifies the version of the type	to
		    use.  The supported forms of authentication are:

type      Kerberos

version   One

Examples
       The following is an example of a boot file:
       ;
       ;     boot file for name server
       ;
       ; type	  domain		 source file or host
       ;
       primary	  cities.us		 hosts.db
       ;
       primary	  2.10.in-addr.arpa	 hosts.rev
       ;
       primary	  0.0.127.in-addr.arpa	 named.local
       ;
       secondary  cc.cities.us		 10.2.0.78 128.32.0.10
       ;
       ; load the cache data last
       cache	   .			 named.ca
       Entries	beginning with a semicolon are comment lines.  In this example, the first line that is not a comment specifies that this system is
       the primary authoritative BIND server for the domain This line also specifies that the file contains authoritative  data  for  the  domain.
       Domain names in the file are relative to the origin, such as in the preceding example.

The second and third non-comment entries (beginning with show the domain in reverse order.  This allows address to name mapping.

The  fourth  non-comment line specifies that all authoritative data under is to be transferred from the primary master server at IP address
       to the secondary server.  If the transfer fails, the secondary server will then try the master server at address There can be up to  10	IP
       addresses listed.

The  cache entry specifies that the data in is to be placed in the cache.  This would include well known data such as the locations of root
       domain servers.

Files
       Name server configuration boot file

Process ID number

Debug output

Dump of the BIND server's cache

See Also
       kill(1), signal(3c), resolver(3), hesiod.conf(5), resolv.conf(5)
       Guide to the BIND/Hesiod Service

named(8)