Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Executing ksh script to remote server want output on same window Post 302925279 by seekryts15 on Saturday 15th of November 2014 12:28:03 PM
Old 11-15-2014
Computer Executing ksh script to remote server want output on same window

I'm having a brain freeze moment. I've created a ksh script in AIX that ssh's to a remote server, executes some commands, and then logs out. All of this is sent to a file. I then have the script cat the file so i can see the output. Even though the cat command is outside of the remote session part; when the entire script completes my screen jumps to the top of the window.

How can I stop it from doing this? I just want it all on my screen without automatically jumping to the top of my screen.

Here's an example of my script:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh

server=username@12.5.5.1

ssh -t -t $server << EOF > /home/test/temporary.txt
cd bin
pwd
exit
\p
EOF

sed '2,5d' /home/test/temporary.txt > /home/test/location.txt
cat /home/test/location.txt
rm /home/test/temporary.txt

Here's my screen output:
Code:
# /home/test/testvar.ksh
username@12.5.5.1's password:     PASSWORD ENTERED HERE

Screen automatically jumps to the top of the screen:
Code:
#

I have to scroll up on my screen to view the output which I want to avoid, please advise:
Code:
Last login: Sat Nov 15 09:09:14 2014 from 12.5.5.1
[username@server ~]$ cd bin
[username@server bin]$ pwd
/home/user/bin
[username@server bin]$ exit
logout
#

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing a remote location script from local server

hi i am having two servers one is local and remote(FTP)server.from local server i have to connect to remote server and execute a shell script i want to run a shell script(remote location) from my local server i am having some knowledge on ftp but i am not getting the result .please give ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivsn
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh help - getting the output of remote script to local server.

Hi, I have a script that runs for an hour. Have to run it on remote server and need the output it produces on the remote server to decide for failure or success. I run it through a Autosys Job which logs the outputs, both 1 & 2. I use the commands 1) rsh <SERVER> 'nohup /tmp/xyz.ksh &' 2)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aster007
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing remote server sqlplus

Hello Guys I have to compare flat file record to oracle table record count count which are on different servers I am taking the flat file record count from the server now I am connecting to remote server first and then running sqlplus But after connecting to remote server the sqlplus... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem executing perl script on remote server

Hello, I am running in to a problem running a perl script on a remote server. I can run a simple script test.pl which contains just a print statment without issue by running ssh root@1.2.3.4 perl test.pl However, I have a more complex script that does not execute as expected. I think I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: colinireland
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script with Interactive ssh on remote server

HI Unix Gurus, I an stuck in an interesting issue, where I am trying to execute a script on remote server after ssh. The script on remote server is interactive,. Whenever it is called it hangs where it expects input from terminal and I have to terminate it. I have searched through fourm... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeevanm
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing local script/command on remote server

I have a command that I want to run on machine B from machine A. If I run the command on machine B locally, it works fine. Here is the command: for n in `find /data1/ -name 'ini*.ext'` ; do echo cp $n "`dirname $n `/` basename $n .ext`"; done From machine A, I issue this command ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirtyd0ggy
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

output from remote server during execution of a script

How to see the output from remote server during execution of a script ? I am executing a script (ls) from machine 1 but the o/p should be displayed in machine 2. Can I achieve this ? Example:- Machine 1:- # ls Machine 2:- (console) file1 file2 file 3 dir1 dir2 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: frintocf
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executing a script in remote server

Hi All, I have 2 servers A and B. I need to connect to server B from server A and execute a shell script in B which will create some files and i need to copy those files back to server A. Required easiest possible for perfoming above task. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Girish19
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Append the output of a script running in remote server to a file in local server?

Hi guys, So i am in server1 and i have to login to server 2, 3,4 and run some script there(logging script) and output its result. What i am doing is running the script in server2 and outputting it to a file in server 2 and then Scp'ing the file to server1. Similarly i am doing this for other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to keep staying on remote server after executing a shell script with if then exit end statement?

i have a "if .. then exit end " in s shell script on remote servers. now the connection to the remote server got killed after i run this script on the remote servers. How do i run this script on remote hosts and still keep remote connections alive after executing the script. Thank you. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: moonmonk
10 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)