Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Edit $args within a command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Edit $args within a command Post 302924138 by sargotrons on Friday 7th of November 2014 06:46:17 AM
Old 11-07-2014
@rbatte1
Seems perfect, I'll try it later on.
Update you on the results later on.

Many thanks!

---------- Post updated 07-11-14 at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous update was 06-11-14 at 05:51 PM ----------
@rbatte1
It works! After some slight changes (in bold) because of my files names
Code:
find ./path/ -type f | sed -e 's/_R.*$//' -e 's/_R//'|sort -u | while read path_file         # Or however you generate your file list
do
    file="${path_file##*/}"                    # Get just the file bit, dropping the path
  echo "command -1 ${path_file}_R1_val_1.fq.gz -2 ${path_file}_R2_val_2.fq.gz --un-conc-gz $file --several --others --parameters"
done

it gives this expected output:

Quote:
command -1 ./path/fileA_R1_val_1.fq.gz -2 ./path/fileA_R2_val_2.fq.gz --un-conc-gz fileA --several --others --parameters
command -1 ./path/fileB_R1_val_1.fq.gz -2 ./path/fileB_R2_val_2.fq.gz --un-conc-gz fileB --several --others --parameters
command -1 ./path/fileC_R1_val_1.fq.gz -2 ./path/fileC_R2_val_2.fq.gz --un-conc-gz fileC --several --others --parameters
command -1 ./path/fileD_R1_val_1.fq.gz -2 ./path/fileD_R2_val_2.fq.gz --un-conc-gz fileD --several --others --parameters
Many thanks for your help! Smilie

@gandolf989
Thanks for the suggestion, actually the command is already a perl wrapper.
That is away ahead for my state of knowledge, hope to get there some day...
This User Gave Thanks to sargotrons For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

required command line args

Hello, How do I make a command line argument required using getopts? Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoi2hot4ya
6 Replies

2. Programming

Command line args

My program usage takes the form for example; $ theApp 2 "one or more words" i.e. 3 command line arguments; application name, an integer, some text My code includes the following 4 lines: int anInteger; char words; sscanf(argv, "%d", &anInteger); sscanf(argv, "%s", &message); Based... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: enuenu
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command line args

I am trying to print command line arguments one per second. I have this while do echo "6" shift echo "5" shift echo "4" shift echo "3" shift echo "2" shift echo "1" shift done (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skooly5
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command line args 2

I have this while loop and at the end I am trying to get it to tell me the last argument I entered. And with it like this all I get is the sentence with no value for $1. Now I tried moving done after the sentence and it printed the value of $1 after every number. I don't want that I just want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skooly5
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to retrieve command line args one by on.

Hi, I have to store all the command line arguments into an array. I have the following code. ********************** #! /bin/sh set -A arr_no_updates i=1 while do arr_no_updates=$($i) echo ${arr_no_updates} i=$(($i+1)) done**************** (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: little_wonder
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to send a function all command line args?

I have this code, I thought it would automatically know the args sent to script when called from shell. But it seems to not see any... main script: . args . errors . opt . clean dbfile="" opfile="" # calls function in script below chkarg #check commands (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gcampton
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UFW show args command

In ubuntu man page there is this command. What are values of ARGS I can use? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

command line args in unix

Hi, i have a perl script named test.pl. It is executed as cat *.log|test.pl i need the complete command line args. I tried using basename $0 but im getting test.pl only but not cat *.log... Can anyone help me on this. Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: niteesh_!7
3 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Cut | command line args

Hi, Can you please hint me how to achieve the below? Input: $./script.sh start 1 2 Internally inside the script i want to set a single variable with $2 and $3 value? Output: CMD=$1 ARGS=$2 $3 --VInodh (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino_hymi
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store args passed in array but not the first 2 args

Store args passed in array but not the first 2 args. # bash declare -a arr=("$@") s=$(IFS=, eval 'echo "${arr}"') echo "$s" output: sh array.sh 1 2 3 4 5 6 1,2,3,4,5,6 Desired output: sh array.sh 1 2 3 4 5 6 3,4,5,6 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iaav
2 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)