Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Rsync move with symlinks
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rsync move with symlinks Post 302924009 by huangyingw on Wednesday 5th of November 2014 05:10:43 PM
Old 11-05-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGPickett
None of the many symlink related options work?
I don't think they would work, fix me if incorrect
Instead, I Just found the "realpath" command in OS X and Linux, which could test whether the real paths of the source folder and target folder are identical.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

search and replace symlinks

Hello All, Assuming i have a thousand symlinks under directory /mydir (and its sub-dir) such as: mysymlink1 -> ../../../myfoo/mysymlink1 mysymlink2 -> ../../../myfoo/mysymlink2 How can I search the string "myfoo" and replaced with "yourfoo" such that after the operation is complete the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixrock
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested Symlinks?

Please don't laugh or call me a fool... I'm trying to set up a script that will go through my Music File directory and generate a set of symbolic links in a directory called "What's New". Within that directory there will be a "30 Days", "3 Months", "6 Months" and "A Year" directories. Within... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symlinks

Given a filename, is it possible to know haow many symbolic links are pointing to it? How can I tell? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ct1977
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash rsync but move not delete

There might be an easy solution to my problem, or maybe not, but here it is. I am trying to rsync a Volume with 1.5 terabytes of data and send it via fibre channel to a raid array. Now normally when I rsync it scans through everything and, before copying anything, deletes any files that have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Movomito
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

preserve timestamp of symlinks using rsync

Hi, In my shell programming, When i copy sym links from one server to another server using rsync it does not preserve time stamp . it showing current time after copying in destination server.the command i used is rsync -vaR -- How can i preserve sym links time stamp using rsync. Thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find + Symlinks = me confused

So i have read the man pages a few time. Searched google but I am not quite sure i understand all the lingo. What i want to do is list all files on / except i dont want any symlinks (because if I am searching / I will find the "true" file...correct?) So there is the -P, -H, and '-type l'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Move directory with rsync and delete from source

I need a rsync command which will exclude certain files and directories from source and copy the rest. I got this command working, sudo rsync -avzh --exclude 'bin' --exclude 'braintree' --exclude 'colinmollenhour' --exclude 'composer' --exclude 'doctrine' --exclude 'fabpot' --exclude... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move directory recursive and leave symlinks at source

Looking for a script or command to - Move a very large directory with tens of thousands of files and sub-directories recursively (filenames can include spaces) and replace with symlinks pointing to the new location at the same time so there is no downtime Looking for speed + safety :o (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: carnagel
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync Error: rsync: link_stat failed: No such file or directory (2)

I wish to copy all the files & folder under /web/Transfer_Files/data/ on mymac1 (Linux) to remote server mybank.intra.com (Solaris 10) /tmp/ location I am using Ansible tool synchronize module which triggers the unix rsync command as below:rsync --delay-updates -F --compress --archive --rsh=ssh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync and Move files

I Have a requirement where i have to sync two directories one on source location server A and other on destination location server B as i do not have ssh access from server A----------->B I am doing rsync from server B, The Requirement is as follows Two directories on the source and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: James0806
4 Replies
SYMLINKS(1)						      General Commands Manual						       SYMLINKS(1)

NAME
symlinks - symbolic link maintenance utility SYNOPSIS
symlinks [ -cdorstv ] dirlist DESCRIPTION
symlinks is a useful utility for maintainers of FTP sites, CDROMs, and Linux software distributions. It scans directories for symbolic links and lists them on stdout, often revealing flaws in the filesystem tree. Each link is output with a classification of relative, absolute, dangling, messy, lengthy, or other_fs. relative links are those expressed as paths relative to the directory in which the links reside, usually independent of the mount point of the filesystem. absolute links are those given as an absolute path from the root directory as indicated by a leading slash (/). dangling links are those for which the target of the link does not currently exist. This commonly occurs for absolute links when a filesystem is mounted at other than its customary mount point (such as when the normal root filesystem is mounted at /mnt after booting from alternative media). messy links are links which contain unnecessary slashes or dots in the path. These are cleaned up as well when -c is specified. lengthy links are links which use "../" more than necessary in the path (eg. /bin/vi -> ../bin/vim) These are only detected when -s is specified, and are only cleaned up when -c is also specified. other_fs are those links whose target currently resides on a different filesystem from where symlinks was run (most useful with -r ). OPTIONS
-c convert absolute links (within the same filesystem) to relative links. This permits links to maintain their validity regardless of the mount point used for the filesystem -- a desirable setup in most cases. This option also causes any messy links to be cleaned up, and, if -s was also specified, then lengthy links are also shortened. Links affected by -c are prefixed with changed in the output. -d causes dangling links to be removed. -o fix links on other filesystems encountered while recursing. Normally, other filesystems encountered are not modified by symlinks. -r recursively operate on subdirectories within the same filesystem. -s causes lengthy links to be detected. -t is used to test for what symlinks would do if -c were specified, but without really changing anything. -v show all symbolic links. By default, relative links are not shown unless -v is specified. BUGS
symlinks does not recurse or change links across filesystems. AUTHOR
symlinks has been written by Mark Lord <mlord@pobox.com>, the original developer and maintainer of the IDE Performance Package for linux, the Linux IDE Driver subsystem, hdparm, and a current day libata hacker. SEE ALSO
symlink(2) Version 1.4 October 2008 SYMLINKS(1)