Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Groups are disappearing on opening of new konsole/terminal Post 302923659 by sujaybatni on Tuesday 4th of November 2014 04:15:05 AM
Old 11-04-2014
Linux Groups are disappearing on opening of new konsole/terminal

Hi

when I open a new KDE/terminal all my project groups are disappearing.
help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Sujay

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disappearing route

I have a route that disappears when the server is rebooted. to get the route back I do: route add 65.x.x.x 10.0.x.x I go to cd /etc/inet vi config and the route is in place Anybody might know what is happening? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrmontg
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opening a file from the terminal

Hi, this is such a simple question (I think), but I don't know the answer, obviously. If I'm using the terminal, and I'm remotely logged on to another computer, and I'm in my directory on that computer, what command would I use to...open a file? For example, a .exe file, or a .txt file...all I want... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Djaunl
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disappearing files

Suse 10.3 ispconfig Using as a web server, mail server. I'm the only user. These files: /var/log/httpd/ispconfig_access_log_2008_08_28 /var/log/httpd/ispconfig_access_log_2008_08_29 vanished without a trace. I still have older and newer files, but not these. I have not deleted... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KillerDog
5 Replies

4. IP Networking

start a new terminal from a script after opening VPN

Hi all, I am trying to write a script that launch the cisco vpn client from the command line and then connects to a remote host using ssh. When i connect to the cisco vpn using vpnclient client connect the last lines of output from that client is Encryption: 168-bit 3-DES Authentication:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opening a terminal with bash

Hi, The computer that I use is on a network and has the exact same installation as other computers on the network (Ubuntu 10.04 LTS). When I open a new terminal window by default it opens a tcsh shell. I don't have the root privilege to modify it. Is it possible to open a terminal window that... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurab
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with opening/viewing doc file via linux terminal

I am currently trying to open a .doc file in my workstation via terminal. This is my code: root@ojt:/home/ojt/Desktop# cat arts_life.doc and it gave me a bunch of unknown characters together with the contents of the doc file. What I actually want to happen is that it will open the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chams
2 Replies

7. Web Development

Help with opening/viewing doc file via linux terminal

I am currently trying to open a .doc file in my workstation via terminal. This is my code: root@ojt:/home/ojt/Desktop# cat arts_life.doc and it gave me a bunch of unknown characters together with the contents of the doc file. What I actually want to happen is that it will open the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chams
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using pipe with Konsole -e

Hello, I am attempting to create a script using kDE and bash. I need to be able ssh into a jump box and then the server then tail the log files then grep for. I have everything working cept the Grep for when using a pipe it does not run it on the server, I have removed the pipe enclosed... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: NiCe
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Disappearing backslash

Let's say I have a text file called process.out that contains: cn=long\, ann,cn=users cn=doe\, john,cn=users I need to have the following appended in the beginning ldapdelete -h $OIDHOST So the final output looks like: ldapdelete -h $OIDHOST "cn=long\, ann,cn=users" ldapdelete -h... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: exm
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

C++ program through Konsole

Hey all I am new to Linux/Unix and even newer to this forum. I am currently in college and am finishing intro to computer programming (C++) and Intro to operating systems. We only touched on Unix for a couple weeks but had an old laptop lying around so I downloaded linux mint onto it and figured id... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Texhilarate
1 Replies
PTS(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							    PTS(4)

NAME
ptmx, pts - pseudo-terminal master and slave DESCRIPTION
The file /dev/ptmx is a character file with major number 5 and minor number 2, usually of mode 0666 and owner.group of root.root. It is used to create a pseudo-terminal master and slave pair. When a process opens /dev/ptmx, it gets a file descriptor for a pseudo-terminal master (PTM), and a pseudo-terminal slave (PTS) device is created in the /dev/pts directory. Each file descriptor obtained by opening /dev/ptmx is an independent PTM with its own associated PTS, whose path can be found by passing the descriptor to ptsname(3). Before opening the pseudo-terminal slave, you must pass the master's file descriptor to grantpt(3) and unlockpt(3). Once both the pseudo-terminal master and slave are open, the slave provides processes with an interface that is identical to that of a real terminal. Data written to the slave is presented on the master descriptor as input. Data written to the master is presented to the slave as input. In practice, pseudo-terminals are used for implementing terminal emulators such as xterm(1), in which data read from the pseudo-terminal master is interpreted by the application in the same way a real terminal would interpret the data, and for implementing remote-login pro- grams such as sshd(8), in which data read from the pseudo-terminal master is sent across the network to a client program that is connected to a terminal or terminal emulator. Pseudo-terminals can also be used to send input to programs that normally refuse to read input from pipes (such as su(1), and passwd(1)). FILES
/dev/ptmx, /dev/pts/* NOTES
The Linux support for the above (known as Unix98 pty naming) is done using the devpts file system, that should be mounted on /dev/pts. Before this Unix98 scheme, master ptys were called /dev/ptyp0, ... and slave ptys /dev/ttyp0, ... and one needed lots of preallocated device nodes. SEE ALSO
getpt(3), grantpt(3), ptsname(3), unlockpt(3), pty(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2002-10-09 PTS(4)