Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: 2 shells in one file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting 2 shells in one file Post 302923270 by cmccabe on Friday 31st of October 2014 04:09:28 PM
Old 10-31-2014
I am going to mark this as solved and start a new thread with a better description (hopefully) Smilie Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shells

I have came across the definitions of these shells korn bourne c etc .. but honestly till now i din't get the exact difference between these threes , the advantages ..... can anyone pinpoint me where it actually lies ..... don;t include me answers like aliasing in c is posible and not in bourne ..... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dino_leix
3 Replies

2. Linux

Version of Shells?

Can anyone tell me the version of shells for bash mc pdksh tcsh zsh For Red Hat Enterprise 4? Thank you very much! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xplore
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

why we have different shells?

Can you pls. tell me, why we have different shells in UNIX OS ( Eg. SunOs) and also I would like to know what is the specific difference b/w SVR and BSD ? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahnazurs
2 Replies

4. Linux

/etc/shells on /etc/passwd

Hi All, Why does these list (below) doesn't belong to /etc/shells? sync:x:5:0:********************// :/sbin:/bin/sync shutdown:x:6:0:********************// :/sbin:/sbin/shutdown halt:x:7:0:********************// :/sbin:/sbin/halt webalizer:x:68:68:***************// ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find all of the available shells

To find all of the available shells in your system we can use cat /etc/shells but i dont find shells in my system where else i can look for same info?? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepak Dutt
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The /etc/shells file is missing.

Hi the /etc/shells file is missing on some of development boxes. Is this ok? Where can I find this file? ---------- Post updated at 07:07 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:07 AM ---------- I have solaris, linux, aix and hpux machines and on all of these machines the /etc/shells file is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: manju--
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shells and scripts

So in UNIX, I understand that there are several different shells you can be in: C, Bourne, Bourne Again, Korn, etc. I also know that you can write scripts for the shells, by assigning it by #!/bin/csh, or sh, etc. If I am working in the csh, do I have to write the script for the csh? Or can it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bjstaff
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shells

Lets say my default shell is bash and then i load up csh and then ksh. How would i exit csh without exiting ksh? so basically i gone from bash > csh > ksh and i wish to close csh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bill Thompson
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Significance of different shells?

I'm taking a LINUX and UNIX class and we are using bash as the shell in terminal. On my mac-book I use zsh only because my professor had a pretty cool start-up file for it. It has benefited me in becoming familiar with different shells. However, I'm having a hard time understanding the purpose... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: syregnar86
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please what are shells?

I mean like this: http://shells.red-pill.eu/ Can anyone explain how this works? I hope my post is not spam. I think its related to linux. Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: postcd
1 Replies
TKILL(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  TKILL(2)

NAME
tkill, tgkill - send a signal to a thread SYNOPSIS
int tkill(int tid, int sig); int tgkill(int tgid, int tid, int sig); DESCRIPTION
tgkill() sends the signal sig to the thread with the thread ID tid in the thread group tgid. (By contrast, kill(2) can only be used to send a signal to a process (i.e., thread group) as a whole, and the signal will be delivered to an arbitrary thread within that process.) tkill() is an obsolete predecessor to tgkill(). It only allows the target thread ID to be specified, which may result in the wrong thread being signaled if a thread terminates and its thread ID is recycled. Avoid using this system call. If tgid is specified as -1, tgkill() is equivalent to tkill(). These are the raw system call interfaces, meant for internal thread library use. RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EINVAL An invalid thread ID, thread group ID, or signal was specified. EPERM Permission denied. For the required permissions, see kill(2). ESRCH No process with the specified thread ID (and thread group ID) exists. VERSIONS
tkill() is supported since Linux 2.4.19 / 2.5.4. tgkill() was added in Linux 2.5.75. CONFORMING TO
tkill() and tgkill() are Linux-specific and should not be used in programs that are intended to be portable. NOTES
See the description of CLONE_THREAD in clone(2) for an explanation of thread groups. Glibc does not provide wrappers for these system calls; call them using syscall(2). SEE ALSO
clone(2), gettid(2), kill(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-10-01 TKILL(2)