Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Conditionally add character at end of line Post 302923077 by cero on Thursday 30th of October 2014 08:21:53 AM
Old 10-30-2014
I tried Rudis solution without -E and it worked for me (GNU-sed).
Another possible sed-solution:
Code:
sed 's/[^;]$/;/' MyFile.csv

EDIT: wrong solution! - do not use!

Last edited by cero; 10-30-2014 at 10:40 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

End of line character in BAsh

I'm trying to match the end of line character in a shell script under bash. What I have done it got is a loop that reads each line of a file into a temp variable and then I get each letter of that variable and do some work on it. One think I want to do it check if the character I checking if the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rukshan
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

end of the line character

How do i determine what the end of the line character is in a text file. for eg. is it \n or \f or \t etc.. Is there a unix command for this? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zomboo
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

stripping last character from end of each line

Hi, sorry for being dumb but I have a file with a variable amount of records (day to day it differs) but is fixed at 80 characters wide. Unfortunately the 80th and last charachter in each line is a "^M" carriage return character which i want to get rid of. Is there a really easy command that i can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to add new line character at the end of a file

hi all, i have this question: How to add new line character at the end of a file???? i need this because i am loading a file to sybase and i have problems with the last record thanks for your help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a special character at the end of the line

I used following to add * at the end of the line in file1. It adds * at the end but has a space before it for some lines but some other lines it adds exactly after the last character. How do I take out the space ? sed 's/$/*/' file1 > file2 example: contents of file1 : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitagi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

add character to the end of each line in file

hi all i have 32 lines in file. the length of each line is 82 , i want that in the end of each line , means in postion 83-84 to put two characters 0d(=\015), 0a(=\012) i want that the 0d will be in postion 83 and the 0a will be in postion 84 in each line of the file how shall i do it ? ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: naamas03
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

add character to every end-of line in file

Hi All I have a file which conatins record.the length of every records is 47. problem : in the end of record i don't have a "\015" character. i want to add this "\015" charcter in the end of every record. the file contains something like 700 records. i've tried with sed command - nothing. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: naamas03
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add text at the end of line conditionally

Hi All, I have a file as below: cat myfile abcdef NA rwer tyujkl na I wish to add the text ".txt" at the end of all lines except the lines starting with NA or na. I know i can add text at the end of line using following command but I am not sure how to valiate the condition. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove new line character at end of file.

I need to remove new line character from end of file. Suppose here are content. a|b|c|d|r a|b|c|d|r a|b|c|d|r <new line> that means file contains 4 lines but data is there in 3 lines. so I want that only 3 lines should be there in file. Please help (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: varun940
20 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add a character at end of line?

Hai, I have got a small requirement in my script. and i am using bash shell. I need to add a dot (.) for some particular line in a file. Say for example, $Cat rmfile 1 This is line1 2 This is line2 3 This is line3 O/p should be : $Cat rmfile 1 This is line1 2 This is line2. #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sivajee
2 Replies
NWBPSET(1)							      nwbpset								NWBPSET(1)

NAME
nwbpset - Create a bindery property or set its value SYNOPSIS
nwbpset [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] DESCRIPTION
nwbpset Reads a property specification from the standard input and creates and sets the corresponding property. The format is determined by the output of 'nwbpvalues -c'. nwbpset will hopefully become an important part of the bindery management suite of ncpfs, together with 'nwbpvalues -c'. See util/nwbpsecurity for an example. As another example, look at the following command line: nwbpvalues -t 1 -o supervisor -p user_defaults -c | sed '2s/.*/ME/'| sed '3s/.*/LOGIN_CONTROL/'| nwbpset With this command, the property user_defaults of the user object 'supervisor' is copied into the property login_control of the user object 'me'. nwbpvalues -t 1 -o me -p login_control -c | sed '9s/.*/ff/'| nwbpset This command disables the user object me. Feel free to contribute other examples! nwbpset looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwbpset prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. AUTHORS
nwbpset was written by Volker Lendecke. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contributors. nwbpset 8/7/1996 NWBPSET(1)