Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Perl command modification
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl command modification Post 302922476 by SkySmart on Saturday 25th of October 2014 11:51:38 AM
Old 10-25-2014
Perl command modification

below is a snippet of code from a larger perl code:

Code:
my $uname = ( -e '/usr/bin/uname' ) ? '/usr/bin/uname' : '/bin/uname';
my $os = ( `$uname 2>/dev/null` );

when i run this code, it seems to be complaining about the backticks. is there any efficient way i can get rid of the backticks and still be able to run the command and assign its value to the variable $os???

i tried this:

Code:
my $uname = ( -e '/usr/bin/uname' ) ? '/usr/bin/uname' : '/bin/uname';
my $os = ( $( $uname 2>/dev/null)  );

but it didn't work.

Linux RedHat

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command for modification date of a file

Good morning, I would like to find all files of a certain type and display their name as well as their modification date. In order to do this, I would do the following: find ./ -name *.csv | ???????? My question: what to put after the pipe instead of the question marks? Is there a basic... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scampsd
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with a slight modification to my PERL script

Hi all, So I have a script that reads a file called FILEA.txt and in that file there are several columns. The ones that are most important are the $name $start and $stop. So currently the script takes values between the start and stop (inside) by using a program called fastamd. But what I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Command for checking modification history on file

What is the command for checking modification history on file? ---------- Post updated at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:35 PM ---------- Let me rephrase this. On a regular Unix file can I at least check to see the time and date history modification of the file? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jastanle84
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Excel sheet modification using perl module

Is there any possibility to move the content from one cell to another cell (Excel sheet) using perl module? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavi.mogu
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to insert new column to already existing file ..can any one help me..?? (6 Replies)
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi , Is there any possibility to read excel sheet in column by column order ?...Thanks in advance,........ :confused: (1 Reply)
1 Replies

7. Programming

Hi , can any one tell me,"How to extract the same format from existing excel file to new excel file " using Spreadsheet::WriteExcel or Spreadsheet::ParseExcel module ??? Example_pgm: Below program is used to read existing excel file..In this program "my $cell = $_;" line is used to... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modification to awk command

i have a php file that has this: php.code #!/usr/bin/php <?php phpinfo(); hlight_file(__FILE__); ?> I want my awk code grab whatever is inbetween and including the "<?php" and "?>". Then, it should scan all the entries between these two points. And if the entries between these... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with command modification

Hello folks; I'm using the following command to get the highest number of requests per second in a log file and it works well. grep "2017-02-22" "LogFile.log" | cut -c1-20 | uniq -c | sort -n | tail -n1 Now i would like to also get the smallest requests per second and the amount of time... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modification of perl script to split a large file into chunks of 5000 chracters

I have a perl script which splits a large file into chunks.The script is given below use strict; use warnings; open (FH, "<monolingual.txt") or die "Could not open source file. $!"; my $i = 0; while (1) { my $chunk; print "process part $i\n"; open(OUT, ">part$i.log") or die "Could... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
4 Replies
PERLUTS(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						PERLUTS(1)

NAME
perluts - Perl under UTS SYNOPSIS
This document can be read as is: as README.uts, or you can read it after you build your package using "man perluts". The purpose is to help you build Perl for UTS, which, if you follow these instructions, should be easy, and result in a solidly working installation. DESCRIPTION
Perl 5.7.2 (Developmental) or Perl 5.8.x (forthcoming) for UTS BUILDING PERL ON UTS
NOTE: Some sites have redefined the way uname works, and if yours does this, special steps must be taken so that Configure can recognize your system as a UTS system. To see if you are in this category, issue the command "uname -a". It should look something like: uts juno 4 4.4 9672 370 At any rate, the first field should be "uts". If this is not the case; supposing it is, say telcoUTS, create a script, uts/uname (i.e. uname, in the subdirectory "uts" of the main Perl source dir): # uname /usr/bin/uname "$@" | sed -e 's/^telcoUTS/uts/' and when you execute Configure, do it as below, except for adding PATH=uts:$PATH as a prefix. I.e. do: PATH=uts:$PATH ./Configure ... There is no need to do an interactive configure, just type ./Configure -de [-Dusedevel] [-Doptimize=-g ] 2>&1 | tee Conf.out "-Dusedevel" may be required to configure Perl 5.7.2 non-interactively. Use -Doptimize=-g if you want to run Perl under sdb or gdb, OR if you want to be able to use the -D command line flags to perl, which are occasionally useful in debugging perl scripts. In this and the following steps, the "2>&1 | tee XXX.out" records all output from the process, which will be useful if anything unexpected goes wrong. Then do the compilation with make 2>&1 | tee make.out Finally, test using make test 2>&1 | tee make-test.out In the output, the only failures you should see should look like: lib/Math/BigInt/t/bigfltpm.........Use of uninitialized value ... FAILED at test 57 lib/Math/BigInt/t/bigintc..........ok lib/Math/BigInt/t/bigintpm.........FAILED at test 204 lib/Math/BigInt/t/mbimbf...........Use of uninitialized value ... Illegal division by zero at ../lib/Math/BigInt/Calc.pm line 314. FAILED at test 71 lib/Math/Complex...................exp: OVERFLOW FAILED at test 250 lib/Math/Trig......................exp: OVERFLOW ok lib/Memoize/t/array................ok ... lib/Net/protoent...................ok lib/Net/servent....................FAILED at test 0 This means that everything passes except for some problems in the packages "Math::BigInt", "Math::Complex", and "Math::Trig". The lib/Net/servent failure seems to be a bug in the test program. To confirm this, from the main Perl source dir, do: LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd` ./perl -Ilib lib/Net/servent.t and it should output 1..3 ok 1 ok 2 ok 3 Installing the built perl on UTS Run the command "make install" AUTHOR
Hal Morris UTS Global LLC email: hom00@utsglobal.com perl v5.16.3 2013-03-04 PERLUTS(1)