Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Help with simple script with counter Post 302922029 by sea on Tuesday 21st of October 2014 05:45:47 PM
Old 10-21-2014
So ((count++)) is not suggested?
Or is that as well just bash,ksh93 and zsh?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error in Script (counter)

Hello: Executing following script i'm getting error: 1=1+1: 0403-058 Assignment requires an lvalue. It's not assuming the counter but i don't know why. Some hint? Thank you very much in advance. #!/bin/ksh <path>/tiempos.txt num_exe=1 TIEMPOS=<path>/tiempos.txt while ] do (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Felix2511
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counter Script..help please

I have generated a script that will email a list of people if a certain PID is not running, using "mailx". I have the script running every 5 minutes as a cron job. I want the script to stop sending an email, if the email has been sent 5 times (meaning PID is dead). I want this so that my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunguy222
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accumulate counter in script

Hi, I'm new to unix and have a problem? I'm writing a basic script in ksh and it is a basic quiz with 5 questions. I need to be able to accumulate the correct answers at the end and echo out the total correct answers, I cannot work it out? Please see script so far. If anyone can help that will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cant get a counter to work in bash scipt, this is calling expect script

I have looked high and low, tryed lots of diffrent things but cant get a simple counter to work right. what i need is to increase a count ever time it finishes the test, pass or fail. example TEST PASS 1, NEXT TEST PASS 2, I curently have set foo o while {$foo <=5} { incr foo puts... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melvin
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reset the counter in shell script

I am executing the following script using 'awk -f process.awk out' where 'out' is the input file which consists of 5000 sequences. Each time it takes one sequence, run the below program by creating a directory, run the mfold command within that directory, running another shell script 'final5' and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kswapnadevi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to display a counter in shell script?

Hi, I am writing a script which processes large number of files in a directory. I wanto display a counter which increment after processing each file. I am processing each file in a for loop. If I echo a variable with its value increasing with each file, I will get around 5000 lines as output.... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaiseaugustine
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use counter to run the script to limit number?

I want to run my shell script to the limit number.Suppose I know in advance that MAX=5 then I want that my script run 5 times only.Something like below$ vi testingMAX=5COMMAND=&quot;ssh -l stpuser VHLDVWSAD001 /projects/st/utils/deploy/deployall.sh >/dev/null 2>&1 &&quot; ; sleep 20;count=0while... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automatic counter script

Hello, I am having trouble calculating some numbers and I was hoping someone could help me solve this. I have one file with 1 column and what I'm trying to do is add up the lines until a certain value is reach, then jump to where it last finished counting and continue. so for ex: if I... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: verse123
27 Replies
mktemp(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 						mktemp(3C)

NAME
mktemp - make a unique file name from a template SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> char *mktemp(char *template); DESCRIPTION
The mktemp() function replaces the contents of the string pointed to by template with a unique file name, and returns template. The string in template should look like a file name with six trailing 'X's; mktemp() will replace the 'X's with a character string that can be used to create a unique file name. Only 26 unique file names per thread can be created for each unique template. RETURN VALUES
The mktemp() function returns the pointer template. If a unique name cannot be created, template points to a null string. ERRORS
No errors are defined. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Generate a filename. The following example replaces the contents of the "template" string with a 10-character filename beginning with the characters "file" and returns a pointer to the "template" string that contains the new filename. #include <stdlib.h> ... char *template = "/tmp/fileXXXXXX"; char *ptr; ptr = mktemp(template); USAGE
Between the time a pathname is created and the file opened, it is possible for some other process to create a file with the same name. The mkstemp(3C) function avoids this problem and is preferred over this function. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mkstemp(3C), tmpfile(3C), tmpnam(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Sep 2004 mktemp(3C)