Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Change default terminal compiler - Centos Post 302921474 by vbe on Friday 17th of October 2014 09:01:27 AM
Old 10-17-2014
On linux there is a command:
Code:
chsh -s /bin/bash

It should ask to enter your passwd then it should have changed your default shell to bash...
To learn more about the command look at the man pages...

Last edited by rbatte1; 10-17-2014 at 10:20 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Change Terminal Title

Is it possible to change the title of a Terminal window on Solaris? For example, for a MS Windows command window, one can simply type "title NameofWindow" to change the title for a command window. I was looking for similar functionality for terminal windows. Thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: here2learn
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I change the behavior of the mouse in Terminal?

Hi, I hope I'm posting in the correct forum, so here goes. I would like for the mouse right/left click to work in Terminal (OSX) as it does in Putty. For instance, when I double click 'log' in file.log.gz, only the log part is highlighted (in Terminal), while in Putty the entire file name is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheChemist
0 Replies

3. Solaris

How to change the system prompt and BG of terminal?

Hi all, I was wondering how to change the PS1 to my liking? I tried changing it using PS1='my choice' it worked but the subsequent terminals i open will not have it as the default PS1 ,how do i change it? also i am running as super user, and i need to exec bash, to get the bash environment...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
4 Replies

4. Solaris

How to change folder color in terminal ?

Hi all, I am really new to UNIX ..and can any1 help me on change the yellow color to blur color (folder) ? Please refer to the attached pictures .. Your help is really appreciated .. :) Have a nice day ! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sauronlord
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change color on another terminal

i already have a running and working script for remote connection. is there a way to change the terminal color everytime I ssh remotely to another server? this is to avoid confusion since I will be using only one server to remotely access around 50 servers (solaris, linux,. etc) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

550 Failed to change directory from FireFTP to CentOS 5.7 VSFTPD

When trying to connect from Mozilla's FireFTP using anonymous or a FTP user on the CentOS 5.7, using VSFTPD I get the following error: 550 Failed to change directory.(View Attachment) This is what I have in my vsftpd.conf file: # Example config file /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf # # The default... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jastanle84
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

selfservice password change standalone Centos 5.7

Hello, can someone suggest, how to configure server, when a new user that is created on the server centos 5.7, should be prompted to reset their password on his start login. Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobby320
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Not able to see the terminal icon in the applications menu to launch the command prompt in Centos

After installing centos iam not able to see the terminal icon in the applications menu to launch the command prompt in Centos. However iam able to see the Open Terminal menu, when i right click and it is not working. let me know what are the things i need to check.:b: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change Log Path for Squid on Centos 6

I searched and did not find a useful answer. Can someone please tell me the best practice to change the log directory from /var/log to /opt/squid? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
4 Replies

10. IP Networking

How do I change my IP via terminal?

Hi, guys, I was using an online utility to check wheather or not an email existed, and they gave me three tries. I thought clearing temp and cookies would work, but it looks like they grabbed a hold of my IP. :mad: Now, I'd like to make a shell script that changes my IP. Not bad...yet. I'm using... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ihatewindows
7 Replies
OPENVT(1)                                                            Linux 1.x                                                           OPENVT(1)

NAME
openvt - start a program on a new virtual terminal (VT). SYNOPSIS
openvt [-c vtnumber] [OPTIONS] [--] command DESCRIPTION
openvt will find the first available VT, and run on it the given command with the given command options, standard input, output and error are directed to that terminal. The current search path ($PATH) is used to find the requested command. If no command is specified then the environment variable $SHELL is used. OPTIONS -c, --console=VTNUMBER Use the given VT number and not the first available. Note you must have write access to the supplied VT for this to work; -f, --force Force opening a VT without checking whether it is already in use; -e, --exec Directly execute the given command, without forking. This option is meant for use in /etc/inittab. If you want to use this feature in another context, be aware that openvt has to be a session leader in order for -e to work. See setsid(2) or setsid(1) on how to achieve this. -s, --switch Switch to the new VT when starting the command. The VT of the new command will be made the new current VT; -u, --user Figure out the owner of the current VT, and run login as that user. Suitable to be called by init. Shouldn't be used with -c or -l; -l, --login Make the command a login shell. A - is prepended to the name of the command to be executed; -v, --verbose Be a bit more verbose; -w, --wait wait for command to complete. If -w and -s are used together then openvt will switch back to the controlling terminal when the com- mand completes; -V, --version print program version and exit; -h, --help show this text and exit. -- end of options to openvt. NOTE
If openvt is compiled with a getopt_long() and you wish to set options to the command to be run, then you must supply the end of options -- flag before the command. EXAMPLES
openvt can be used to start a shell on the next free VT, by using the command: openvt bash To start the shell as a login shell, use: openvt -l bash To get a long listing you must supply the -- separator: openvt -- ls -l HISTORY
Earlier, openvt was called open. It was written by Jon Tombs <jon@gtex02.us.es or jon@robots.ox.ac.uk>. The -w idea is from "sam". SEE ALSO
chvt(1), doshell(8), login(1) 19 Jul 1996 V1.4 OPENVT(1)