Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Creating list
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Creating list Post 302921225 by richiestank on Wednesday 15th of October 2014 07:58:53 PM
Old 10-15-2014
Creating list

how do i create a list of every process running on my system and place it into a file lets say p1.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

creating a mailng list for mailx

I'm trying recall how to set up a script to have mailx read a mailing list of people to recieve a message. I had set up the script to have every name inside but the list could grow and/or change. can any one help? I'm using HPUX 11 on a rp7410. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rfmurphy_6
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating menu list from configuration file

Hi folks, I have the following function ,which generates menu for installation type: select_install_type() { echo echo ======================================== echo Please select the type of installation: echo ======================================== ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creating a file with a list

I would like to create a text file that contains the list (names of files and dirs) of a particular directory... any ideas ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hinman
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a List of Files With Find

Hi, I need to go through all the files on my system and build a list/output file with the paths of all files where the first two characters within the file match an expression. I know I can use something like find . | xargs cut -b1-2 or find . -exec cut -b1-2 {} \; to get the characters... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 008_
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a range out of a broken list

Hi all, I am trying to create a file which has one or more ranges based on a file containing a long list. The problem is that the file which has this list is not continuous and is broken in many places. I will try to illustrate by an example: The List File: 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10 11 12... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a list of files in directory?

Hi All, I would like to do a loop on all the files with extension .out in my directory this files should be sorted alphabetically. Then I need to assign to each of them a progressive ID of three digits (maybe in HEX format?). First I tried to list manually the files as ARRAY=( A-001.out ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating usernames from a list of names

Hello everyone, I am trying to create a script that will make usernames (last name and first letter of name - for example, James Bond = bondj). At this point, I figured out how to make a script that can read the list of names from a text file. Here is what I have: #!/bin/bash ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RSpades
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating columns from a list

I have a list below, how can I have things separated nicely in columns mv browseDir.tcsh browseDir.csh mv checkSRDist.tcsh checkSRDist.csh mv create-data-tinv.tcsh create-data-tinv.csh mv createDocs.tcsh createDocs.csh mv createMisfit.tcsh createMisfit.csh mv createModel.tcsh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a column based list from a string list

I have a string containing fields separated by space Example set sr="Fred Ted Joe Peter Paul Jean Chris Tim Tex" and want to display it in a column format, for example to a maximum of a window of 100 characters And hopefully display some thing like Fred Ted Joe ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a two column list of date pairs form a single column list

Hi all, looking for some help here. I'm what you'd call a dirty programmer. my shell scripts might be ugly, but they (usually) function... Say I have a single column text file with a list of dates (yyyymmdd) that represent the elevation of a point on that date (I work with land subsidence, so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrandt1979
2 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)