Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove word before a character Post 302920907 by Akshay Hegde on Monday 13th of October 2014 01:30:28 PM
Old 10-13-2014
Try

Code:
awk 'gsub(/ +\w+,/,",")+1' file

Code:
akshay@nio:/tmp$ awk 'gsub(/ +\w+,/,",")+1' <<test
id integer,
name string,
create_dt date,
test

id,
name,
create_dt,

-- OR --

Code:
awk 'gsub(/ [^ ]+,/,",")+1' file

Last edited by Akshay Hegde; 10-13-2014 at 02:55 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep for X character on a word

How can I grep for a certain letter that only shows on the 3rd letter or character. ex: ASGHDY SHTYRD SDTYRD IGIKGD I only want the TY part of the 3rd character so output would only be SHTYRD and DDTYRD - I only want the TY on the 3rd character. THANKS (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjoves
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete all character before certain word

Hi, For example, i have a string "123 456 789 abc 111 222 333" and I would like to delete all the characters before abc so that it becomes "abc 111 222 333" how can i do that in unix? using sed? note: I actually don't know how many words/charachters before "abc", so the "cut"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: phandy
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to parse a word character by character

Hi All, Can anyone help me please, I have a word like below. 6,76 I want to read this word and check if it has "," (comma) and if yes then i want to replace it with "." (dot). That means i want to be changed to 6.76 If the word doesnot contain "," then its should not be changed. Eg. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete character from a word

Friends, I'm looking for a command that delete the first tho caractere in a word. Here is an exp : I want to replace "20091001" by "091001" or "replace" by "place" Thx, (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: newpromo
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to chose certain character in a word?

Hi Expert, I would like to know on how to export only the first 6 character of below 0050569868B7 ABCDEFGHTY to 005056 ABCDEF Thank you. Reggy (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: regmaster
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can we get the character before and after a word in a string?

Hi friends, I am working in a korn shell. i want to know the command which gives me the previous one character and next one character of a given keyword in a string? for exmaple: input string: /bin/dir/folder1/.proc_name^folderone Keyword: proc_name output : .^ ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: neelmani
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Position of character in word

How can I represent the position of 1 (considering only the 1s after the colon) in the word from field5 and above; counting from right to left. Input: TT-124 06-03-14 08-02-10 FAS CAT1:10 TT-125-1 05-03-14 10-06-08 CAS CAT2:1010 FAT1:10000 TT-125-3 07-03-14 11-02-06 FAS FAT1:1101... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aydj
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove word after special character "/"

Hi There, I have one requirement to remove word after character "/". Input file is 2017-07-12|02|user1l|domain1/userl|0 2017-07-12|02|user2|domain1/user2|5 2017-07-12|02|user3|domain2/user3|0 2017-07-12|02|user4|domain1/user4|432 and require OP file is ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshu ranjan
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove newline character if it is the only character in the entire file.?

I have a file which comes every day and the file data look's as below. Vi abc.txt a|b|c|d\n a|g|h|j\n Some times we receive the file with only a new line character in the file like vi abc.txt \n (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rak Kundra
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove a word that ends with special character "!"

Hi all. I want to use sed to remove a word that ends with "!" in the first page of a file. The word I want to remove is: "DNA!". I have search for an answer and nothing of what I found helped me. ~faizlo (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: faizlo
2 Replies
SURFRAW-UPDATE-PATH(1)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    SURFRAW-UPDATE-PATH(1)

NAME
surfraw-update-path - updates PATH in shell config files SYNOPSIS
surfraw-update-path [-add] [-remove] [-check] [-sys] [-all] [-help] [-shell=SHELL] DESCRIPTION
surfraw-update-path adds the surfraw elvi directory (/usr/lib/surfraw) to your PATH in your shell's config file. Currently it supports bash, sh, csh, tcsh, ash, dash, ksh, pdksh, zsh, rc, and es Don't forget to login again or source your login files for it to take effect. OPTIONS
-check Checks to see if the surfraw config code is present. This is the default. -add Adds the surfraw config code. -remove Removes the surfraw config code -sys Updates the system-wide shell config instead of the user. Must be done as root. -shell=SHELL Selects the shell to configure. Defaults to the value of the $SHELL environment variable. Currently supported shells are: sh, ash, bash, dash, csh, tcsh, ksh, pdksh, zsh, rc, and es. -all Attempts to configure the startup files for all known shells -help Gives a usage message RETURN VALUE
-check returns 0 if the surfraw code is present in the file, 1 if it is not found, or 2 on error. All other options return 0 on success, or 2 on error. ENVIRONMENT
SHELL Used to determine which shell to configure, if -shell is not given. HOME Used to find users config files. ENV Used by posix-compliant shells to specify a startup rc file. ZDOTDIR Used to find user config files for zsh. If not set, defaults to HOME. SEE ALSO
surfraw(1), sh(1), ash(1), bash(1), dash(1), csh(1), tcsh(1), ksh(1), pdksh(1), zsh(1), rc(1), es(1) AUTHOR
Ian Beckwith <ianb@erislabs.net> perl v5.12.4 2011-07-12 SURFRAW-UPDATE-PATH(1)