Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Error in reading variable in shell script Post 302920677 by Kibou on Friday 10th of October 2014 06:27:48 PM
Old 10-10-2014
Sample output,

Code:
kibou@laptop:~$ touch /tmp/file{1..5}
kibou@laptop:~$ find /tmp/ -name file*
find: Las rutas deben preceder la expresión: file1
Uso: find [-H] [-L] [-P] [-Onivel] [-D help|tree|search|stat|rates|opt|exec] [ruta...] [expresión]
kibou@laptop:~$ find /tmp/ -name "file*"
/tmp/file3
/tmp/file5
/tmp/file4
/tmp/file1
/tmp/file2
kibou@laptop:~$ find /tmp/ -name "file*" | sort -r # I'll just add this so it looks nicer :)
/tmp/file5
/tmp/file4
/tmp/file3
/tmp/file2
/tmp/file1

This User Gave Thanks to Kibou For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading input to create a variable in a script?

I would like to prompt for input and then use it as a variable in a script. Something like this. #!/bin/ksh echo "What is your name?: \c" read response echo "Your name is $reply" >file.txt done exit 0 What am I missing? Thanks, (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: darthur
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Please Help!! Reading a string of text with concurrent spaces into a shell variable

Please Help!! Here is a very simplistic example of what I am trying to accomplish. I need what I have inbetween the quotes to be read into the shell variable. x="This is fun" echo $x The results of x from the above expression is: This is fun Notice the unix takes out the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mjs3221
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a path (including ref to shell variable) from file

Hi! 1. I have a parameter file containing path to log files. For this example both paths are the same, one is stated directly and the second using env variables. /oracle/admin/orcl/bdump/:atlas:trc:N ${ORACLE_BASE}/admin/${ORACLE_SID}/bdump/:${ORACLE_SID}:trc:N 2. I try to parse the path... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lojzev
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

error in passing a variable to sqlplus from a shell script

hi, I am using a shell script from where i will be conecting to sqlplus.. i am having a problem in passing a variable to sqlplus query.. i will be assigning the variable in the unix environment..whenever i am trying to pass a variable having the contents greater than 2500 characters, i am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading environment variable from awk script

Hi All, I am using SunSolaris machine. I need to get the value of environment variable from awk begin. Then use that value as the start number of a sequence and use that in my print statement. But it is not reading the value from environment variable. I have tried the following: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashas_d
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading multi lines variable using shell script

Hi, I am using #!/bin/sh shell. I have a variable which contains multi line data. I want to read that variable line by line. Can someone post the code to read the multi line variable line by line? Any help is much appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gupt_ash
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading comma separated variable into other variables in shell script

Hi, In shell script, I have a variable var = xyz, inn, day, night, calif ....n and I would like to read them in to var1 = xzy, var2 = inn, var3= day, var4 = night....var. probably in a loop. I would like to read the variables until end of the line. Comma is the delimiter and there's no comma at... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryaemlinux
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while reading from a file in shell script

Hi All, I'm writing a script to read a file line by line and then perform awk function on it. I am getting an error . My file has one name in it "James". I'm expecting my o/p to be youareJamesbond James ./users.sh: line 7: =: command not found #script to read file line by line #adding... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Irishboy24
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble with variable assignment and reading in shell scripting

Hi, I have an inputfile with some table names in it. For ex: t_arnge t_profl t_fac I need a script which reads the line one by one and need to assign to some dynamic variable. If to explain the above example: i need some a=table_name1 table_name1=t_arnge in first time and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravindra Swan
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while reading variable from a file in perl script

I have a file abc.ini and declared many variables in that file, one of the variable(DBname) value I am trying to read in my perl script but getting error. File abc.ini content # database name DBname =UATBOX my $ex_stat; my $cmd_output; $ex_stat = "\Qawk '/^DBname/{print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devesh5683
2 Replies
cdbmake(1)						      General Commands Manual							cdbmake(1)

NAME
cdbmake - create a constant database SYNOPSIS
cdbmake cdb cdb.tmp DESCRIPTION
cdbmake reads a series of encoded records from its standard input and writes a constant database to cdb. cdbmake ensures that cdb is updated atomically, so programs reading cdb never have to wait for cdbmake to finish. It does this by first writing the database to cdb.tmp and then moving cdb.tmp on top of cdb. If cdb.tmp already exists, it is destroyed. The directories con- taining cdb.tmp and cdb must be writable to cdbmake; they must also be on the same filesystem. cdbmake always makes sure that cdb.tmp is safely written to disk before it replaces cdb. If the input is in a bad format or if cdbmake has any trouble writing cdb.tmp to disk, cdbmake complains and leaves cdb alone. RECORD FORMAT Records are indexed by keys. A key is a string. cdb is structured so that another program, starting from a key, can quickly find the rel- evant record. cdbmake allows several records with the same key, although most readers take only the first record, and cdbmake slows down somewhat if there are many records with the same key. cdbmake and cdbdump(1) preserve the order of records. A record is encoded for cdbmake as +klen,dlen:key->data followed by a newline. Here klen is the number of bytes in key and dlen is the number of bytes in data. The end of data is indicated by an extra newline. For example: +3,5:one->Hello +3,7:two->Goodbye key and data may contain any characters, including colons, dashes, newlines, and nulls. Keys and data do not have to fit into memory. A database cannot exceed 4 gigabytes. cdb is portable across machines. SEE ALSO
cdbdump(1), cdbget(1), cdbstats(1) cdbmake(1)