Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Error in reading variable in shell script Post 302920619 by Corona688 on Friday 10th of October 2014 12:59:28 PM
Old 10-10-2014
* does not expand inside double quotes.

Code:
./main "$FILENAME"*.root $LUMIFILE  $CONFIGDEFAULTFILE

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading input to create a variable in a script?

I would like to prompt for input and then use it as a variable in a script. Something like this. #!/bin/ksh echo "What is your name?: \c" read response echo "Your name is $reply" >file.txt done exit 0 What am I missing? Thanks, (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: darthur
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Please Help!! Reading a string of text with concurrent spaces into a shell variable

Please Help!! Here is a very simplistic example of what I am trying to accomplish. I need what I have inbetween the quotes to be read into the shell variable. x="This is fun" echo $x The results of x from the above expression is: This is fun Notice the unix takes out the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mjs3221
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a path (including ref to shell variable) from file

Hi! 1. I have a parameter file containing path to log files. For this example both paths are the same, one is stated directly and the second using env variables. /oracle/admin/orcl/bdump/:atlas:trc:N ${ORACLE_BASE}/admin/${ORACLE_SID}/bdump/:${ORACLE_SID}:trc:N 2. I try to parse the path... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lojzev
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

error in passing a variable to sqlplus from a shell script

hi, I am using a shell script from where i will be conecting to sqlplus.. i am having a problem in passing a variable to sqlplus query.. i will be assigning the variable in the unix environment..whenever i am trying to pass a variable having the contents greater than 2500 characters, i am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading environment variable from awk script

Hi All, I am using SunSolaris machine. I need to get the value of environment variable from awk begin. Then use that value as the start number of a sequence and use that in my print statement. But it is not reading the value from environment variable. I have tried the following: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashas_d
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading multi lines variable using shell script

Hi, I am using #!/bin/sh shell. I have a variable which contains multi line data. I want to read that variable line by line. Can someone post the code to read the multi line variable line by line? Any help is much appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gupt_ash
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading comma separated variable into other variables in shell script

Hi, In shell script, I have a variable var = xyz, inn, day, night, calif ....n and I would like to read them in to var1 = xzy, var2 = inn, var3= day, var4 = night....var. probably in a loop. I would like to read the variables until end of the line. Comma is the delimiter and there's no comma at... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryaemlinux
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while reading from a file in shell script

Hi All, I'm writing a script to read a file line by line and then perform awk function on it. I am getting an error . My file has one name in it "James". I'm expecting my o/p to be youareJamesbond James ./users.sh: line 7: =: command not found #script to read file line by line #adding... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Irishboy24
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble with variable assignment and reading in shell scripting

Hi, I have an inputfile with some table names in it. For ex: t_arnge t_profl t_fac I need a script which reads the line one by one and need to assign to some dynamic variable. If to explain the above example: i need some a=table_name1 table_name1=t_arnge in first time and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravindra Swan
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while reading variable from a file in perl script

I have a file abc.ini and declared many variables in that file, one of the variable(DBname) value I am trying to read in my perl script but getting error. File abc.ini content # database name DBname =UATBOX my $ex_stat; my $cmd_output; $ex_stat = "\Qawk '/^DBname/{print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devesh5683
2 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-adfpqr] [-c command] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Option: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c command Run the named command instead of the shell. Useful for capturing the output of a program that behaves differently when associated with a tty. -d When playing back a session with the -p flag, don't sleep between records when playing back a timestamped session. -f Flush output after each write. This is useful for watching the script output in real time. -p Play back a session recorded with the -r flag in real time. -q Be quiet, and don't output started and ended lines. -r Record a session with input, output, and timestamping. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is used by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. BSD
October 17, 2009 BSD