Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Having issues finishing up a few scripting problems. A little help would be awesome Post 302919926 by megachuk on Sunday 5th of October 2014 04:43:45 PM
Old 10-05-2014
They're not questions as much as "make this happen"

I think I figured out the middle question.

I'm having issues with the other two now.

PROBLEM #1:

Recall that the env command provides a list of various environment variables available to you. Two of those variables are PWD, which is your current directory, and HOME, which is your home directory. Write a script named script7.sh to test to see if you are currently in your home directory. This will be true if $PWD is equal to $HOME. Output the result.

PROBLEM #2:
Code:
#I'm given a code string of:

for word in $( cat $filename )
do
echo $word
done

I'm directed to write a script named script9.sh where, in place of $filename, you pass in a parameter of a text file’s name. This will be referenced as $1 in the script. Pass in a second parameter, a string, which will be referenced as $2. Using the for loop with cat, count the number of occurrences of the string ($2) in the file. Output the string ($2) and the number of times you found it in the file. Test this out on a few different text files to make sure it works. Include your script script9.sh as your answer to this problem.

Last edited by vbe; 10-05-2014 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: code tags

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting problems

Hello, Im trying to write a script where it will only execute on a certain day. What would the script look like? if then do this is this correct?? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewisoco
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting issues

hi, I am stuck in a shell script where in i need to extract the specific users from \etc\passwd file. Once this is done, i need to assign Roles to these users which are different for different users. What could be the optimum solution. If i hard code the Roles values in a text file, how would i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashutosh101
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scripting issues...

Hi guys, I am thanks in advance for any posts and for reading. I am trying to run this script, under solaris: echo "****************************************" echo "The host is: " echo "****************************************" <<EOF find /etc/default -name login -exec ls -l {} \; find... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: B14speedfreak
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help in finishing 2 commands

the first one: 1. i am trying to build a command that searches a text file and outputs the number of words which consists of two 'b' characters in each word separatly like barby (the b characters must be separated from one another) i tried to use grep filepath then i know that we need... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newby2
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix scripting problems

Hi, In my unix server, i received a file in /usr/data/xmit location. i want to write a unix script after file reached. So how can i write a one line code which chceks the presence of the file? and second line line should take the status of the prevous line. like below. Line 1: checks for the... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: JSKOBS
16 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting users issues...

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum community and need help with some scripts. I have attached what I have so far and these are scripts that have been passed on to me for a project that I have been assigned. To tell the truth I have never really worked with scripts and have no clue how these even... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wingzero89
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues with scripting users

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum community and need help with some scripts. First off let me put that this is “NOT” a homework assignment as I have been given this information where I work (IUPUI-UITS) and need help on this since I have no experience in this area. The only reason I am turning... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wingzero89
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues with awk scripting for HTML tags

Below is the data file(results) contents- 13450708,13470474,US,15 24954,24845,JPN,44 14258992,14365059,US,4 24954,24845,IND,44 I want to send above data sets to email in a tabular format. For that I am using below awk script. Now the challenge I am facing here is - I want to make the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roseline
2 Replies
basename(1)							   User Commands						       basename(1)

NAME
basename, dirname - deliver portions of path names SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/basename string [suffix] /usr/xpg4/bin/basename string [suffix] dirname string DESCRIPTION
The basename utility deletes any prefix ending in / and the suffix (if present in string) from string, and prints the result on the stan- dard output. It is normally used inside substitution marks (``) within shell procedures. /usr/bin The suffix is a pattern defined on the expr(1) manual page. /usr/xpg4/bin The suffix is a string with no special significance attached to any of the characters it contains. The dirname utility delivers all but the last level of the path name in string. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Setting environment variables The following example, invoked with the argument /home/sms/personal/mail sets the environment variable NAME to the file named mail and the environment variable MYMAILPATH to the string /home/sms/personal: example% NAME=`basename $HOME/personal/mail` example% MYMAILPATH=`dirname $HOME/personal/mail` Example 2: Compiling a file and moving the output This shell procedure, invoked with the argument /usr/src/bin/cat.c, compiles the named file and moves the output to cat in the current directory: example% cc $1 example% mv a.out `basename $1 .c` ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of basename and dirname: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
expr(1), basename(3C), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 18 Mar 1997 basename(1)