Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with loop in ksh script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with loop in ksh script Post 302919363 by jamesjim on Tuesday 30th of September 2014 07:09:29 PM
Old 09-30-2014
Well i would suggest go and pick a book and learn basic shell scripting. We are not here to baby sit and teach you very basics of unix shell scripting. I saw your other post earlier and now this a continuation of that. You cant rely on the forum for completing your task, what ever you are trying to achieve. What you are asking here is very basic , trying to write a loop and it is first step in logical programming and nothing to do with unix as well.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh "while" loop within a csh script

I'm no unix pro for sure, but I have programmed enough other languages to usually get the job done in unix when I have to. I'm currently trying to automate a manual diagnostic process. One of the steps in the manual process generates a file of text output. The next step is running a small... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bschnair
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh while loop

hi all, got this silly problem and i just can't seem to make sense of the error message its is saying 1400: cannot open. its my first time at writing a while loop but tried all sorts to get it working without success. #!usr/bin/ksh integer max=1400 set file="afilename" integer i=1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptingmani
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

import var and function from ksh script to another ksh script

Ih all, i have multiples ksh scripts for crontab's unix jobs they all have same variables declarations and some similar functions i would have a only single script file to declare my variables, like: var1= "aaa" var2= "bbb" var3= "ccc" ... function ab { ...} function bc { ... }... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfhurt
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop in ksh..Please help..

Hi ALL, I need to take some command line arguments for my script and then want to run a function for each argument.I thought of using for loop as below, but its not working , can some one please help... #!/bin/ksh lpar1=$1 lpar2=$2 lpar3=$3 lpar4=$4 lpar5=$5 echo "$lpar1" >>lpar.txt echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant43
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH Script -- loop and data copy question

I am trying to write a script that will allow me to train others with commands that I run manually by only allowing the exact command before continuing onto the next set of commands. Here is where I come into an issue. I have changed the directories for this post. Software we run creates files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hurtzdonut
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop in awk script using ksh

Guys, I am new in awk , I face problem while i try to use for loop in awk, I am using ksh, i am trying to set a for loop which runs as man times as the records in a file , the for loop like for(a=1;a<=5;a++) is working in my awk script but the one i need is not working :wall: for example ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: djahmed
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting a variable in a while loop (.ksh script)

Hello Everyone, I'm still trying to grasp many concepts in .ksh scripting, one of them being variables inside loops. My problem is the following: * I'm trying to set a variable inside a while read loop to reuse it outside of said loop. My lines are the following :... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy75_13
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

explain while loop in ksh shell script

#!/bin/ksh log=ABCl log=EFG log=HIJ i=0 while <------ what is the meaning of ($i - lt 3) do print ${log} (( i=i+1 )) done (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bperl1967
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Aix .ksh for loop script.

Hi, I'm trying to write a for loop to run through a list of servers and for each server copy a file to a backup file. But I can't seem to get it to run through my server list. It work for individual servers, please see below. #!/bin/ksh SSH_USERID=khcuser webservers="server1 server2" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elmesy
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh for loop

Any reason why this thing doesn't works in Korn Shell for (( expr1; expr2; expr3 )) do ..... ... repeat all statements between do and done until expr2 is TRUE Done Rgds, TS (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: targetshell
4 Replies
BABY(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   BABY(1)

NAME
baby -- create new process from two parents SYNOPSIS
baby -sex [m|f] [-name name] DESCRIPTION
baby is initiated when one parent process polls another server process through a socket connection in the BSD version or through pipes in the System V implementation. baby runs at low priority for approximately forty weeks and then terminates with a heavy system load. Most systems require constant monitoring when baby reaches its final stages of execution. Older implementations of baby did not require both initiating processes to be present at the time of completion. In those versions the initiating process which was not present was awakened and notified of the results upon completion. It has since been determined that the presence of both parent processes result in a generally lower system load at completion, and thus current versions of baby expect both par- ent processes to be active during the final stages. Successful completion of baby results in the creation and naming of a new process. Parent processes then broadcast messages to all other processes, local and remote, informing them of their new status. OPTIONS
-sex define the gender of the created process -name assign the name name to the new process EXAMPLES
baby -sex f -name Jacqueline completed successfully on July 9, 1992 at 9:11pm. Jacqueline's vital statistics: 8 pounds 3 oz, 20 inches, long dark hair. The parent process, Kim Dunbar, is reportedly doing fine. SEE ALSO
cigar(6), dump(5), cry(3). BUGS
Despite its complexity, baby only knows one signal, SIGCHLD, (or SIGCLD in the System V implementation), which it uses to contact the par- ent processes. One or both parent processes must then inspect the baby process to determine the cause of the signal. The sleep(1) command may not work as expected on either parent process for some time afterward, as each new instance of baby sends inter- mittent signals to the parent processes which must be handled by the parents immediately. A baby process will frequently dump core, requiring either or both parent processes to clean up after it. Despite the reams of available documentation on invoking and maintaining baby, most parent processes are overwhelmed. AUTHORS
From a man page by Joe Beck, <beck@cs.ualberta.ca>. BABY(1)