Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Changing the nth parameter in a file Post 302919242 by shamsfield on Monday 29th of September 2014 05:58:11 PM
Old 09-29-2014
Changing the nth parameter in a file

Hello,

I use a program using an input stream of parameters:
Code:
/my_prog.out <parameters.txt

The parameters.txt file has the following structure:

Code:
name
date
number1
number2
system

now imagine i would like to execute several times (>200) this program, but with different sets of number1 and number2. Is there a way to automatize this by making a shell to change these two very parameters into other numbers? I have no idea how to do that. Could anyone help? Smilie

for example it would be a script doing something like this:

Code:
for number1=1 to 100
for number 2 = 3 to 7
change myparameters.txt in these two specific field <- dunno how to do that
./my_prog.out <parameters.txt &

many thanks!

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags as required by the forum rules. Thank you.

Last edited by bakunin; 09-29-2014 at 07:04 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Changing network parameter in Existing OS image

Hi , Can some one tell me , is there a way to change the existing network parameter in existing OS image , or do i have to create a new image to have new network parameters . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thana
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Repeating a column but changing one parameter

Does anyone know how I can create a file like this: blue 0 red 0 yellow 0 green 0 orange 0 blue 2 red 2 yellow 2 green 2 orange 2 blue 4 red 4 yellow 4 green 4 orange 4 blue 6 red 6 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cosmologist
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using AWK to find top Nth values in Nth column

I have an awk script to find the maximum value of the 2nd column of a 2 column datafile, but I need to find the top 5 maximum values of the 2nd column. Here is the script that works for the maximum value. awk 'BEGIN { subjectmax=$1 ; max=0} $2 >= max {subjectmax=$1 ; max=$2} END {print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating average for every Nth line in the Nth column

Is there an awk script that can easily perform the following operation? I have a data file that is in the format of 1944-12,5.6 1945-01,9.8 1945-02,6.7 1945-03,9.3 1945-04,5.9 1945-05,0.7 1945-06,0.0 1945-07,0.0 1945-08,0.0 1945-09,0.0 1945-10,0.2 1945-11,10.5 1945-12,22.3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retreiving multiple files by changing a parameter with one program

Hi all, I am using following command: perl program.pl input.txt output.txt CUTOFF 3 > groups_3.txt containing program.pl, two files (input.txt, output.txt) and getting output in groups_3.txt: But, I wish to have 30 files corresponding to each CUTOFF ranging from 0 to 30 using the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bioinfo
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the parameter value from the parameter file in perl?

hi all, i have a parameter file of following format, i want a method which can get the value of specific parameter. parameter file format: <Parameter Name="FileLocationWindows"> <Description> The directory location of the logger file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: laxmikant.hcl
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - printing nth field based on parameter

I have a need to print nth field based on the parameter passed. Suppose I have 3 fields in a file, passing 1 to the function should print 1st field and so on. I have attempted below function but this throws an error due to incorrect awk syntax. function calcmaxlen { FIELDMAXLEN=0 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parameter file with changing date

Hi, I have a trigger file which looks like this abcdefgh_YYYYMMDD.trg The YYYYMMDD is the year, month and the date. So for example today the trigger file would be abcdefgh_20130703.trg similarly tomorrow it would be abcdefgh_20130704.trg I need to write a script to check if the trigger file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: halfafringe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a value of Nth field of nth row

Using Awk, how can I achieve the following? I have set of record numbers, for which, I have to replace the nth field with some values, say spaces. Eg: Set of Records : 4,9,10,55,89,etc I have to change the 8th field of all the above set of records to spaces (10 spaces). Its a delimited... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help changing date format in the nth field

Hi, I have two (2) things that I want to do. First is to change the date format that is in the nth field from MM/DD/YY to YY/MM/DD. Preferably, I wish I know how to make it a 4-digit year but I don't. Problem is I can only assume it is a 20 century Second is somehow know how to figure out... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)