Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Remote Access vs Local Access Post 302918347 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 23rd of September 2014 03:09:46 AM
Old 09-23-2014
I repeat: You MUST fill out the Required Template for Homework & Coursework Questions when posting questions in the Homework and Coursework Questions Forum.

Please repost with a completed template. If you continue to refuse to fill out the required template, you will be banned from using this site!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to access/mount so to access folder/files on a Remote System using Linux OS

Hi I need to access files from a specific folder of a Linux system from an another Linux System Remotely. I know how to, Export a folder on One SCO System & can access the same by using Import via., NFS in the Sco Unix SVR4 System using the scoadmin utility. Also, I know to use mount -t ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S.Vishwanath
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Remote Access

Hi We access all our SPARC/x86 servers (Solaris 8,9 & 10) using ssh. I am looking for a open source tool that allows me to get the GUI on to my laptop. I tried with x-org and some other applications like Hummingbird. Encountered problems with license issues and CPU compatability of my laptop. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrs0302
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

unable to access a variable not local to a while loop

I have a while loop like this cat ${filename} | while read fileline do ... done I need to access a variable value $newfile inside this while loop How will i do that?? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: codeman007
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can a script runned in local server access remote server?

Hi, Im creating a script that is supposed to run commands on remote server using sftp. My script is as below: #!/bin/ksh sftp remote_server mypassword cd /u08/mydir/allfiles mget * .. But this is what I got when I runned the script: Connecting to remote server...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: luna_soleil
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

Restrict local users to access ftp

Hi, I had installed vsftp in rhel5 and i want to restrict all the local users from accessing the ftp. i want to allow specific users to access the ftp server. Request you to please help. Thanks & regards Arun (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arun.Kakarla
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Understanding local access to NFS export

Hello, I've inherited an NFS setup that allows external servers to write to an NFS share on a Centos box. Here is an example line from /etc/exports (there are four entries that only are different based on server IP adress). /exports/foobar... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KickstartUF
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to check local accounts have root and user access rights ?

Hi, I have three servers,For 3 servers how i can take output,all the local accounts and details of whether the access is Root or User access. cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ranjithm
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

NFS share full access for local user

Hi All, Is it possible to give full access for a normal user in a NFS share? If its not possible is there a trick with which I can make it work? Thanks in advance Shyam (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shyam2j
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris local access restriction other than sshd_config?

Hi All, As part of LDAP implementation we need to restrict users/groups locally on solaris machine: Options tried: sshd_config: as far as my testing it is restricting either user or group, as per the first preference. pam_access.so by default I am unable to find(need some help if this is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sridaran
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Except script to run a local shell script on remote server using root access

local script: cat > first.sh cd /tmp echo $PWD echo `whoami` cd /tmp/123 tar -cvf 789.tar 456 sleep 10 except script: cat > first #!/usr/bin/expect set ip 10.5.15.20 set user "xyz123" set password "123456" set script first.sh spawn sh -c "ssh $user@$ip bash < $script" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aditya Avanth
1 Replies
in.lpd(1M)						  System Administration Commands						in.lpd(1M)

NAME
in.lpd - BSD print protocol adaptor SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/print/in.lpd DESCRIPTION
in.lpd implements the network listening service for the BSD print protocol specified in RFC 1179. The BSD print protocol provides a remote interface for systems to interact with a local spooling system. The protocol defines five standard requests from the client to the server: starting queue processing, transferring print jobs, retrieving terse status, retrieving verbose status, and canceling print jobs. The in.lpd service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/network/lp Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). Responsibil- ity for initiating and restarting this service is delegated to inetd(1M). Use inetadm(1M) to make configuration changes and to view config- uration information for this service. The service's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. in.lpd uses the config/log_from_remote property to allow or disallow remote access. The default value of this property, localhost, disal- lows remote access. inetd waits for connections on TCP port 515. Upon receipt of a connect request, in.lpd is started to service the connection. Once the request has been filled, in.lpd closes the connection and exits. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Allowing Remote Access The following command allows remote access to in.lpd. # inetadm -m svc:/application/print/rfc1179:default bind_addr="" EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. non-zero An error occurred. FILES
/etc/printers.conf System printer configuration database. printers.conf.byname NIS version of /etc/printers.conf. printers.org_dir NIS+ version of /etc/printers.conf. /usr/lib/print/bsd-adaptor/bsd_*.so* Spooler translation modules. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWpcu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), inetadm(1M), inetd(1M), svcadm(1M), printers.conf(4), attributes(5), smf(5) SunOS 5.11 1 Aug 2006 in.lpd(1M)