Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search a character and replace it with multiple lines Post 302918282 by Mukul Sharma on Monday 22nd of September 2014 03:42:48 PM
Old 09-22-2014
This is the output from shell script

sharmam@cysvigdcdbora10:/home/sharmam>./repl.ksh
$BEGIN
$END;

This is the flat file to be converted.

sharmam@cysvigdcdbora10:/home/sharmam>cat proc.txt
Code:
DECLARE
    null_value CHAR(1) := NULL;
    statement1 CHAR(63);
    statement2 CHAR(56);

BEGIN
    statement1 := 'INSERT INTO rateheader VALUES (:0, :1, :2, :3, :4, :5, :6)';
END;
/

This is the shell script

sharmam@cysvigdcdbora10:/home/sharmam>cat repl.ksh

Code:
BEGIN="
BEGIN\
FOR X in 1..1\
LOOP\
        BEGIN\
"

END="
EXCEPTION
        WHEN OTHERS THEN
                CONTINUE;
END;
END LOOP;
"
sed -n 's/BEGIN/$BEGIN/p' proc.txt
sed -n 's/END/$END/p' proc.txt

The expected output is

DECLARE
null_value CHAR(1) := NULL;
statement1 CHAR(63);
statement2 CHAR(56);
BEGIN
FOR X in 1..1
LOOP
BEGIN
statement1 := 'INSERT INTO rateheader VALUES (:0, :1, :2, :3, :4, :5, :6)';
END="
EXCEPTION
WHEN OTHERS THEN
CONTINUE;
END;
END LOOP;
/

Can you please suggest?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a perticular character of all lines of a file

Hi all, I am new to UNIX, so sorry if my question seem stupid to u. well i want to replace the first character of first 30 lines of a file, only if the first character is h. and in anothe script i want to replace a particular string/character say hello/h of a file.Condition: It should... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abovais
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to search and replace based on character count

Hi, I wanted to add a newline character after every 100 characters in a file using a awk or shell without reading each line of the file. I want to run a command on the complete file. This does based on a string but i want to add a new line after every 100 characters ir-respective of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaykrc
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi Search for text, Replace with <CR> or control character.

Greetings, Using vi, how can I change the following text: -I/myviews/nexus_7400rel/vobs/nexus/platforms/97400/include -I/myviews/nexus_7400rel/vobs/nexus/modules/i2c/7400/include -I/myviews/nexus_7400rel/vobs/nexus/modules/surface/7400/include Into this:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega949
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace multiple occurances of same character with a single character.

Hi all, Greetings, I have the following scenario, The contents of main file are like : Unix|||||forum|||||||||||||||is||||||the||best so||||||be|||||on||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||it And i need the output in the following form: Unix=forum=is=the=best so=be=on=it ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipanchandra
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace, when found, delete multiple lines, add new set of lines?

hey guys, I tried searching but most 'search and replace' questions are related to one liners. Say I have a file to be replaced that has the following: $ cat testing.txt TESTING AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE FFF GGG HHH ENDTESTING This is the input file: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeuceLee
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find & replace a multiple lines string across multiple php files and subdirectories

Hey guys. I know pratically 0 about Linux, so could anyone please give me instructions on how to accomplish this ? The distro is RedHat 4.1.2 and i need to find and replace a multiple lines string in several php files across subdirectories. So lets say im at root/dir1/dir2/ , when i execute... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: spfc_dmt
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace: Multiple Strings / Multiple Files

I have a list of files all over a file system e.g. /home/1/foo/bar.x /www/sites/moose/foo.txtI'm looking for strings in these files and want to replace each occurrence with a replacement string, e.g. if I find: '#@!^\&@ in any of the files I want to replace it with: 655#@11, etc. There... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex:search/replace but not for escaped character

Hi Input: - -- --- ---- aa-bb-cc aa--bb--cc aa---bb---cc aa----bb----cc Output: . - -. -- aa.bb.cc (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chitech
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a particular word and replace the first character

Hi Unix gurus, I've a dna sequence in a file format known as fasta format (sequence header starts with > and ignored), an example shown below: >sequence_1 CGTATTCTCCGAATACC ATACG >sequence_2 CAGATTTTCAAATACCCCC In a file like this I want to do the following three search and replace. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fahmida
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace character in odd or even lines

Hello, I'm here again asking for your precious help. I'm writing some code to convert csv files to html. I want to highlight header and also I want to have rows with alternate colors. So far this is my work###Let's format first line only with some color cat $fileIN".tmp1" | sed '1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: emare
7 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)