Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Weird difference in script execution Post 302917828 by RudiC on Thursday 18th of September 2014 05:28:33 PM
Old 09-18-2014
Make sure you run it with bash or any recent shell instead of sh (in your shebang)...
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Weird script

I need a script to do the following and have no idea how to do it...can someone help? I need to start Sql*Plus, load a query, say "unmatched.sql", run the query, then load unmatched.sc and run it, then print the output file that unmatched.sc created... any help greatly appreciated. Duckman (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duckman
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird date difference problem

I am trying to find the difference in days between 2 dates. I have to extract the 1st date from a filename, which i did using the awk command. I have to compare this date to today's date and if the difference is greater than 30 days, do something, else do something else. This is what i wrote... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: meeraKh
22 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with my weird script!

So I have this script titled "testing.sh" #!/bin/ksh #PROGRAM INITIALIZATION HomeDir=/home/sap/gl/ftp server=testftp01 userid=ftp_uatollmsgbus password="f&p53715" MSGLOG=${HomeDir}/msglog.txt FTPLogTmp=${HomeDir}/testing.tmp FTPLogFile=${HomeDir}/testing.log... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kdyzsa
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Weird Behavior of a Script

ok, there's a script i'm working on written in shell programming. #!/bin/sh this script is written to spit out the contents of certain variables inside of it so the output looks something like this: server01=89 server02=69 server03=89 server04=76 now, when i run this script from the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird sed behaviour in script

I've written a small script to replace certain words in all the the files in a directory. #!/bin/sh #Get list of files to be edited file_list=`ls -p` for i in $file_list do echo "Processing $i" alteredi=`echo "$i" | sed -e 's/\//d/'` if then if then #actual altering (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peetrus
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

weird script in crontab

Hello here's the first line's of the code that works perfect on command line but not as a crontab job ??? crontab: 15 * * * * /root/scripts/checkclamd_mem.shscript: #!/bin/bash # Checks Memory of the Clamav-daemon and it's .pid file # restarts if over the LIMIT. Starts if pid file not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nls mchn
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

script acting weird..

Hi Guys, I have this script which is being called from another script, sh +x SCRIPTNAME. Now this script is failing saying the source file is missing. But i was able to see the source file was present. It was renamed and but somehow the source file is removed. There is no remove command in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird script behaviour !

Hello, I am getting an infinite loop from a script in Linux. Here is the last version of the script in question. As you can see I tried to define everything properly: #!/bin/ksh # Script to loop over a series of dates set -ex typeset -i start_date=20090701 typeset -i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stavros
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution difference in perl scripts for windows / AIX

Hi, I have perl script abc.pl which runs perfectly fine on windows ( execution from cmd). Now i tried to execute the same perl module on the AIX server after defining the captureoutput.pm and other relevant changes. But its behaving very weirdly as a portion of the URL which is formed by... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: slayer0611
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Traceroute script weird output

This script is giving weird output #!/bin/bash NETPATH=(`/bin/traceroute -n 4.2.2.2 | awk '{print $2}'`) for i in "${NETPATH}" do echo $i done The output: to 11.11.11.1 1.1.1.1 99.111.208.2 traceroute_test.sh traceroute_test.sh (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumbs
7 Replies
OPENVT(1)							     Linux 1.x								 OPENVT(1)

NAME
openvt - start a program on a new virtual terminal (VT). SYNOPSIS
openvt [-c vtnumber] [-s] [-u] [-l] [-v] [--] command command_options DESCRIPTION
openvt will find the first available VT, and run on it the given command with the given command options, standard input, output and error are directed to that terminal. The current search path ($PATH) is used to find the requested command. If no command is specified then the environment variable $SHELL is used. OPTIONS -c vtnumber Use the given VT number and not the first available. Note you must have write access to the supplied VT for this to work. -f Force opening a VT without checking whether it is already in use. -e Directly execute the given command, without forking. This option is meant for use in /etc/inittab. If you want to use this feature in another context, be aware that openvt has to be a session leader in order for -e to work. See setsid(2) or setsid(1) on how to achieve this. -s Switch to the new VT when starting the command. The VT of the new command will be made the new current VT. -u Figure out the owner of the current VT, and run login as that user. Suitable to be called by init. Shouldn't be used with -c or -l. -l Make the command a login shell. A - is prepended to the name of the command to be executed. -v Be a bit more verbose. -w wait for command to complete. If -w and -s are used together then openvt will switch back to the controlling terminal when the com- mand completes. -- end of options to openvt. NOTE
If openvt is compiled with a POSIX (GNU) getopt() and you wish to set options to the command to be run, then you must supply the end of options -- flag before the command. EXAMPLES
openvt can be used to start a shell on the next free VT, by using the command: openvt bash To start the shell as a login shell, use: openvt -l bash To get a long listing you must supply the -- separator: openvt -- ls -l HISTORY
Earlier, openvt was called open. It was written by Jon Tombs <jon@gtex02.us.es or jon@robots.ox.ac.uk>. The -w idea is from "sam". SEE ALSO
chvt(1), doshell(8), login(1) 19 Jul 1996 V1.4 OPENVT(1)