Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Weird difference in script execution Post 302917828 by RudiC on Thursday 18th of September 2014 05:28:33 PM
Old 09-18-2014
Make sure you run it with bash or any recent shell instead of sh (in your shebang)...
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Weird script

I need a script to do the following and have no idea how to do it...can someone help? I need to start Sql*Plus, load a query, say "unmatched.sql", run the query, then load unmatched.sc and run it, then print the output file that unmatched.sc created... any help greatly appreciated. Duckman (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duckman
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird date difference problem

I am trying to find the difference in days between 2 dates. I have to extract the 1st date from a filename, which i did using the awk command. I have to compare this date to today's date and if the difference is greater than 30 days, do something, else do something else. This is what i wrote... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: meeraKh
22 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with my weird script!

So I have this script titled "testing.sh" #!/bin/ksh #PROGRAM INITIALIZATION HomeDir=/home/sap/gl/ftp server=testftp01 userid=ftp_uatollmsgbus password="f&p53715" MSGLOG=${HomeDir}/msglog.txt FTPLogTmp=${HomeDir}/testing.tmp FTPLogFile=${HomeDir}/testing.log... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kdyzsa
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Weird Behavior of a Script

ok, there's a script i'm working on written in shell programming. #!/bin/sh this script is written to spit out the contents of certain variables inside of it so the output looks something like this: server01=89 server02=69 server03=89 server04=76 now, when i run this script from the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird sed behaviour in script

I've written a small script to replace certain words in all the the files in a directory. #!/bin/sh #Get list of files to be edited file_list=`ls -p` for i in $file_list do echo "Processing $i" alteredi=`echo "$i" | sed -e 's/\//d/'` if then if then #actual altering (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peetrus
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

weird script in crontab

Hello here's the first line's of the code that works perfect on command line but not as a crontab job ??? crontab: 15 * * * * /root/scripts/checkclamd_mem.shscript: #!/bin/bash # Checks Memory of the Clamav-daemon and it's .pid file # restarts if over the LIMIT. Starts if pid file not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nls mchn
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

script acting weird..

Hi Guys, I have this script which is being called from another script, sh +x SCRIPTNAME. Now this script is failing saying the source file is missing. But i was able to see the source file was present. It was renamed and but somehow the source file is removed. There is no remove command in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird script behaviour !

Hello, I am getting an infinite loop from a script in Linux. Here is the last version of the script in question. As you can see I tried to define everything properly: #!/bin/ksh # Script to loop over a series of dates set -ex typeset -i start_date=20090701 typeset -i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stavros
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution difference in perl scripts for windows / AIX

Hi, I have perl script abc.pl which runs perfectly fine on windows ( execution from cmd). Now i tried to execute the same perl module on the AIX server after defining the captureoutput.pm and other relevant changes. But its behaving very weirdly as a portion of the URL which is formed by... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: slayer0611
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Traceroute script weird output

This script is giving weird output #!/bin/bash NETPATH=(`/bin/traceroute -n 4.2.2.2 | awk '{print $2}'`) for i in "${NETPATH}" do echo $i done The output: to 11.11.11.1 1.1.1.1 99.111.208.2 traceroute_test.sh traceroute_test.sh (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumbs
7 Replies
CHECKBASHISMS(1)					      General Commands Manual						  CHECKBASHISMS(1)

NAME
checkbashisms - check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts SYNOPSIS
checkbashisms script ... checkbashisms --help|--version DESCRIPTION
checkbashisms, based on one of the checks from the lintian system, performs basic checks on /bin/sh shell scripts for the possible presence of bashisms. It takes the names of the shell scripts on the command line, and outputs warnings if possible bashisms are detected. Note that the definition of a bashism in this context roughly equates to "a shell feature that is not required to be supported by POSIX"; this means that some issues flagged may be permitted under optional sections of POSIX, such as XSI or User Portability. In cases where POSIX and Debian Policy disagree, checkbashisms by default allows extensions permitted by Policy but may also provide options for stricter checking. OPTIONS
--help, -h Show a summary of options. --newline, -n Check for "echo -n" usage (non POSIX but required by Debian Policy 10.4.) --posix, -p Check for issues which are non POSIX but required to be supported by Debian Policy 10.4 (implies -n). --force, -f Force each script to be checked, even if it would normally not be (for instance, it has a bash or non POSIX shell shebang or appears to be a shell wrapper). --extra, -x Highlight lines which, whilst they do not contain bashisms, may be useful in determining whether a particular issue is a false posi- tive which may be ignored. For example, the use of "$BASH_ENV" may be preceded by checking whether "$BASH" is set. --version, -v Show version and copyright information. EXIT VALUES
The exit value will be 0 if no possible bashisms or other problems were detected. Otherwise it will be the sum of the following error val- ues: 1 A possible bashism was detected. 2 A file was skipped for some reason, for example, because it was unreadable or not found. The warning message will give details. SEE ALSO
lintian(1). AUTHOR
checkbashisms was originally written as a shell script by Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org> and rewritten in Perl with many more features by Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities CHECKBASHISMS(1)