Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem with lseek call.
Top Forums Programming Problem with lseek call. Post 302916919 by Sir_Tomasz on Friday 12th of September 2014 01:31:30 PM
Old 09-12-2014
Thank you! I will be more careful with parentheses next time.
This User Gave Thanks to Sir_Tomasz For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

lseek in c

sir, i used lssek as this lseek(fp,-10,2); i am not getting any output i dont now why can you explan sir.. Thanks in advance, Arunkumar (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
4 Replies

2. Programming

Problem in system call

Dear Friends, I write a c program to list the directories recursively. For this I write a function called my_readdir to read the content of directory. For this I use read system call it returns -1, then I use readdir system call it gives comment terminated error or segmentation... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spmlingam
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

kernel call problem

hi all I want to make a kernel call which takes as input an integer x and prints 2*x Anyone who knows how could i do that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sasa
1 Replies

4. Linux

system call problem

hi, where can I find the detail information about the syscall in binary instructions of linux/mips. for example, in linux/mips: li v0, 4140 syscall it's a syacall of "lseek" , but how can I find that which registers will be used in this syscall , and the meaning of the arguments in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zerocool_08
2 Replies

5. Programming

Hairy Problem! lseek over 4G

recently my project needs me to lseek a position over 4G size.... i found in linux or unix the parameters are all ulong 32 bits...the limit dooms the movement of a position over 4G I was told that i should lseek64 to meet my need... but i have no idea where i can get the function neither by "man... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: macroideal
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lseek() equivalent

I know there is lseek() function that will allow to write or read from certain position in the file. Is there similar function that will let do same but for array rather then file? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: joker40
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lseek implementation

Hi everybody, i've been googling for ages now and gotten kinda desperate... The question, however, might be rather trivial for the experts: What is it exactly, i.e. physically, the POSIX function (for a file) "lseek" does? Does it trigger some kind of synchronization on disk? Is it just for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Humudituu
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding lseek

I tried to use lseek system call to determine the number of bytes in a file. To do so, I used open system call with O_APPEND flag to open a file. As lseek returns the current offset so I called lseek for opened file with offset as zero and whence as SEEK_CUR. So I guess it must return the number of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepak Raj
3 Replies

9. AIX

Backup: The lseek call failed

Hi, We are facing issues while backing up our 1205 GB filesystem on LTO5 Tape. During backup the "backup: The lseek call failed." messages were generated, I want to know why these messages were generating AIX version is: 6100-08-00-0000 backup: The date of this level 0 backup is Mon Mar 11... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_raheelahmed
4 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Applescript application call problem...

Hi all... I am trying to create a shell project purely for this Macbook Pro. I do NOT want to use SOX as the sampling _source_ but Quicktime instead, the idea being that NO third party installs will be needed. The code below works fine except the commented out Applescript line does not do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies
lseek(2)							System Calls Manual							  lseek(2)

Name
       lseek, tell - move read or write pointer

Syntax
       #include <sys/types.h>
       #include <unistd.h>

pos = lseek(d, offset, whence)
       off_t pos;
       int d, whence;
       off_t offset;

pos = tell(d)
       off_t pos;
       int d;

Description
       The system call moves the file pointer associated with a file or device open for reading or writing.

The descriptor d refers to a file or device open for reading or writing.  The system call sets the file pointer of d as follows:

o    If whence is SEEK_SET, the pointer is set to offset bytes.

o    If whence is SEEK_CUR the pointer is set to its current location plus offset.

o    If whence is SEEK_END, the pointer is set to the size of the file plus offset.

Seeking beyond the end of a file and then writing to the file creates a gap or hole that does not occupy physical space and reads as zeros.

The system call returns the offset of the current byte relative to the beginning of the file associated with the file descriptor.

Environment
   System Five
       If  you	compile  a  program  in  the System Five environment, an invalid whence argument causes SIGSYS to be sent.  This complies with the
       behavior described in the System V Interface Definition (SVID), Issue 1.

Return Values
       Upon successful completion, a long integer (the current file pointer value) is returned.  This pointer is measured in bytes from the begin-
       ning  of  the file, where the first byte is byte 0.  (Note that some devices are incapable of seeking.  The value of the pointer associated
       with such a device is undefined.)  If a value of -1 is returned, errno is set to indicate the error.

Diagnostics
       The system call fails and the file pointer remains unchanged under the following conditions:

[EBADF]	      The fildes is not an open file descriptor.

[EINVAL]       The whence is not a proper value.

[ESPIPE]       The fildes is associated with a pipe or a socket.

See Also
       dup(2), open(2)

lseek(2)