Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Concatenate strings in a a for loop Post 302916842 by rbatte1 on Friday 12th of September 2014 07:38:43 AM
Old 09-12-2014
Welcome Danman,

You can also neaten your code. For the loop:-
Code:
for FILE in `ls *feeds.ini`
do ........

.... you can use
Code:
for FILE in *feeds.ini
do ........

To test if a file exists, convert from:-
Code:
FILESEXIST=`ls -1 $TEST 2>/dev/null | wc -l`

if [[ $FILESEXIST -eq 0 ]]
then ........

.... to just:-
Code:
if [ -f $TEST ]
then ........

If you need to set this with a wild-card in the test, you can achieve that by using:-
Code:
TEST="${FILEDIR}${LINE}/\*.csv"

I've added curly brackets (I think braces is the proper name) to be very clear on the variable names too.

I hope that these help,
Robin

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to concatenate two strings or several strings into one string in B-shell?

like connect "summer" and "winter" to "summerwinter"? Can anybody help me? thanks a lot. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fontana
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenate Strings

Hi Friends, I have a requirement I need to concatenate the below two strings. String 1 = /@jobid_at_ String 2 = value stored in ORACLE_SID String 3 = string1 concatenated with String 2. Please let me know how should i do it in UNIX. Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: diva_thilak
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete repeated strings (tags) in a line and concatenate corresponding words

Hello friends! Each line of my input file has this format: word<TAB>tag1<blankspace>lemma<TAB>tag2<blankspace>lemma ... <TAB>tag3<blankspace>lemma Of this file I need to eliminate all the repeated tags (of the same word) in a line, as in the example here below, but conserving both (all) the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjomba
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

concatenate strings

if i use echo "ravi" echo "sankar" it showing output ravi sankar but i want output as ravi sankar remember sankar should be in another echo statement only (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankr3
2 Replies

5. Web Development

Concatenate Strings

hi..:) this is my sample part of my program.. $csv_output .= $row.",". $row.",". $row.",". $row.",". $row.",". ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeneca
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate text between patterns in individual strings

In any given file, wherever a certain data block exists I need to concatenate the values(text after each "=" sign) from that block. in that block. The block starts and ends with specific pattern, say BEGIN DS and END DS respectively. The block size may vary. A file will have multiple such blocks.... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prev
12 Replies

7. Programming

Concatenate two strings

Hello! Can anyone explain line 28 for me? I was thinking *a would be replaced by *b, but it actually appends *a to *b. I know it is related to pointer address, but could not figure it out by myself. Thanks a lot! 1 //Concatenate two strings 2 3 #include<stdio.h> 4 char *stradd (char *,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate strings

Hi,I'm trying to concatenate @example.com to each line of a file f1.txt. and push it into f2.txt. Here is the code i'm using. for i in `cat /home/linux1/xxxxxxx/f1.txt`; do echo ${i}@example.com > /home/linux1/xxxxxx/f2.txt; done But above code only printing @example.com in f2.txt. what... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_bd
18 Replies
XmStringTableProposeTablist(library call)								 XmStringTableProposeTablist(library call)

NAME
XmStringTableProposeTablist -- A convenience function that returns a tab list SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/Xm.h> XmTabList XmStringTableProposeTablist( XmStringTable strings, Cardinal num_strings, Widget widget, float pad_value, XmOffsetModel offset_model); DESCRIPTION
XmStringTableProposeTablist takes an XmStringTable structure containing tabbed compound strings, information on padding between columns, and rendering information and returns a tab list that, if used to render the strings in the table, would cause the strings to line up in columns with no overlap and with the specified amount of padding between the widest item in each column and the start of the next column. Each tab in the tablist would have the same unit type as units, an offset model of offset_model, and an alignment type of XmALIGN- MENT_BEGINNING. strings Specifies an array of compound strings. num_strings Specifies the number of compound strings in strings. widget Specifies the widget used for deriving any necessary information for creating the rendition. In particular, the XmNunitType of widget will be used to specify the unit type to be used in determining the amount of padding separating columns and for the tabs in the proposed tab list. Also, widget's render table will be used in interpreting rendition tags within the strings. pad_value Specifies the value of the amount of padding to be used to separate columns. The units for this parameter are specified as the XmNunitType set for the widget parameter. Refer to the XmNunitType resource of the XmGadget, XmManager, or XmPrimitive reference page. offset_model Specifies the offset model to be used in creating the tabs. Can be XmABSOLUTE or XmRELATIVE. RETURN
Returns a new XmTabList. The function allocates space to hold the returned tab list. The application is responsible for managing the allocated space. The application can recover the allocated space by calling XmTabListFree. RELATED
XmTabList(3) and XmTabListFree(3). XmStringTableProposeTablist(library call)