Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Select only the lines of a file starting with a field which is matcing a list. awk? Post 302916828 by pilnet101 on Friday 12th of September 2014 05:57:03 AM
Old 09-12-2014
Sure.

The first part of the code
Code:
awk 'FNR==NR{m[$1]++;next}

is reading and storing the contents of $1 from file2 into an array called m. So this will be made up of all the 2014* values.

The second part of the code
Code:
/^2/{x=($1 in m)}x'

is what is run for each line in file1. It basically says for each line beginning with a 2 (I made the assumption from the data provided by OP that each value in file2 would start with 2014, so in effect this can be elaborated to /^2014/ OR /^201/), check to see if this 2014* value (ie. $1) is in the array m. Set x to the return code of the 'in array' function which will exit 1 if true and 0 is false. Then pass x outside the action block to perform the default action of printing the line, when x is not 0.

Hope this helps, sorry if I have confused things more!
This User Gave Thanks to pilnet101 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

select last field from a file

hi everybody i would to select the last field of a file here as you can see i select the field number 8 y=`cat sortie2 | grep "^"| grep "starting"| awk '{ print $8}'` but line can containt more or less field in never know, i just know is the last one so i wondering to know if is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kykyboss
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk - select from a list

Hi all, I am trying to select some columns from a file, based on the list of values. Would like to know how best I can achive this. If coulmn 1 has a value of 57 then print the ist column (This works) awk -F' ' '{if ( $1 == 57 ) {print $1}}' file.txt Now my requirement is that I have to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: simha77777
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select some lines from a txt file and create a new file with awk

Hi there, I have a text file with several colums separated by "|;#" I need to search the file extracting all columns starting with the value of "1" or "2" saving in a separate file just the first 7 columns of each row maching the criteria, with replacement of the saparators in the nearly created... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: capnino
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select lines in which column have value greater than some percent of total file lines

i have a file in following format 1 32 3 4 6 4 4 45 1 45 4 61 54 66 4 5 65 51 56 65 1 12 32 85 now here the total number of lines are 8(they vary each time) Now i want to select only those lines in which the values... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vaibhavkorde
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

select lines with certain values on certain fields with awk

I need a awk command to select from a log-file only the lines that have on the 2nd field (considering "|" separator) one of the values 10.216.22.XX or 10.216.22.YY or 10.216.22.ZZ and on the 4th field only values that contain strictly digits. I want the command to work parsing the file only once (I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - mixed for and if to select particular lines in a data file

Hi all, I am new to AWK and I am trying to solve a problem that is probably easy for an expert. Suppose I have the following data file input.txt: 20 35 43 20 23 54 20 62 21 20.5 43 12 20.5 33 11 20.5 89 87 21 33 20 21 22 21 21 56 87 I want to select from all lines having the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: naska
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to select one field

Hi, I saw your post.. I have a dought in awk command... how to get the output from a file. i need a first column in etc/passwd file in a single column (in indivijual line)... i couldn't get with this command cat /etc/passwd | awk -F ":" '{printf $1}' Kindly help This thread was created... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dheepak s
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk repeat one field at all lines and modify field repetitions

Hello experts I have a file with paragraphs begining with a keeping date and ending with "END": 20120301 num num John num num A keepnum1 num num kathrin num num A keepnum1 num num kathrin num num B keepnum2 num num Pete num num A keepnum1 num num Jacob num... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phaethon
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines in file if specific field matches

I am trying to remove lines in the target.txt file if $5 before the - in that file matches sorted_list. I have tried grep and awk. Thank you :). grep grep -v -F -f targets.bed sort_list grep -vFf sort_list targets awk awk -F, ' > FILENAME == ARGV {to_remove=1; next} > ! ($5 in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep a line not starting with # from a file (there are two lines starting with # and normal)?

e.g. File name: File.txt cat File.txt Result: #INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ1 INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ2 I want to get the value for one which is not commented out. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)